2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Ron Alexander:
Okay RPD for what seems like the two hundredth time, you state your arguement as to why you are so head and shoulders above or equal to any RPT.
We got the message. laugh
Ron, its not about comparing myself with RPT's, many of whom I could learn plenty from I am sure, or "proving" my worth to my competitors/collegues..and who in spite of your impression of my posts, I (to the person) admire and respect. Fools argue, wise men discuss...if I've gone beyond "wise" then my humble apology...And, I will certainly continue to speak highly of the PTG. My doing so (as a non-member) does not dirty up the organization, so I'm not entirely sure where you're coming from...my endorsements are just not exclusive to RPT's, that's all. But, my recommending the PTG is somehow not ok (?) from your comments?

I do not think there would be such a big division between reasonable people, if we were talking face to face. The online language seems to always be taken at its worst possible meaning, probably by everybody.

I'm glad you're training for and taking the exams, and I respect you for it...I'm also undertaking to learn new aspects of piano technology....and my comment respecting your path doesn't suggest anything other than respect for your efforts, plainly. If that lacks humility then I guess, so be it. I don't profess any mastery of anything...but the Guild is only one path towards excellence, that's all.

But your post does remind me that perhaps enough has been said on the subject...by people on both sides of the issue. wink

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
OP Offline
Thank you very much for your congratulations, and again for your help.

Just a little comment here, to satisfy the RPT's, PTG's, and non RPT's but still good technicians and tuners:

When I was looking for a technician yesterday to evaluate this piano, I could not find any available immediately, except:

- a man that said he was a tuner but he doesn't do restorations. He said he could realize most of the times if there was something repaired... and when I asked him how much he would charge me for his inspection he asked me $ 25. And to be honest, it seemed to me too cheap to be very professional (I was not looking for a cheap tech., but a good one, as I was advised in this forum)

- a man who sounded very experienced, asked me $ 95, but he was not available until Sunday

- several other techs. not available before Monday,

- and finally who performed the task, for $ 150.
When I talked to him I didn't ask him if he was a licensed RPT. What I asked him before hiring him was how many years of practicing he has, if it was a part time job for him, what was his experience in Bosendorfers, if he works or has worked for this dealer, etc.

To us, potential clients, who ignore the RPT and PTG things, what really matters is the expertise, knowledge, background and honesty, beyond the formal titles.

It happened that once this tech. I hired performed his task, I paid him, and back at home I researched on Internet his website, I discovered that he is actually a RPT and PTG. But I didn't choose him for the titles or the price.

Thank you for letting me know that a Bosendorfer has to be tuned at 443. I didn't know, the seller didn't tell me, and there is no user manual that came with the piano that mentioned it.
Again... this forum has helped me for the future.
You are awesome.

We need each other, without us (piano owners) you will not survive. And for us, without you, we will do bad purchases, no maintenance or repair, and the list goes on!!

Keep up with the good work, ethics, and wonderful advice!!!
I love you all!

Claudia

Pianist for all events - Music beyond words
http://www.PassionatePianist.com
Piano Player Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Very nice Claudia.

As I was reading your post, I was reminded that your best technicians are not only in most cases also your more expensive technicians, but they are almost always your busiest techs as well, booked furthest ahead. One has to question a tech can can come out to tune today or tomorrow yet (and their cheaper prices because of this) verses one that can't come out for a week (that has much higher prices and still busier) and the reasoning behind this. What you say makes perfect sense.

Thank you.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission