Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#631152 - 12/26/01 11:12 AM damper pedal question
decibel101 Offline

Loc: Manhattan
I'm so upset. I went away for the weekend and when I came back and sat at the piano I noticed that when I first pressed down on the damper pedal I could faintly hear the felt inside brusing against all the strings as it was lifted and it made all the strings ring.

Not like if you actually hit the key and played all the notes. But it just made the sound of all those felt hammers insided brusing against the strings causing them all to kind of ring very quietly, but I notice it now, and now it's driving me crazy.

Do I need to have them replaced. It's a 21 year old Yamaha Upright U3, and I just got it not to long ago. The only thing that I can think of is that it may be a little to warm in my room for the piano with not much ventalation when I'm not home, and no humidifier yet because I haven't gotten around to buying one. So maybe all the felt dried out and expanded a little, causing it brush against the strings...????

Maybe it needs to be regulated??? I'm not even sure how you know when a piano needs to be regulated...

Wish i knew more.. If anyone has any advise thanks in advance

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#631153 - 12/26/01 01:19 PM Re: damper pedal question
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Well, the way you describe it, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the ambient conditions in the room have caused this especially if has suddenly come up.

Best to contact your local tech and perhaps changing the hammer/damper timing might correct.

Worst case scenario: having to replace all the damper felts cause they're so dried out that replacement is the only viable solution.

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com

#631154 - 12/26/01 04:40 PM Re: damper pedal question
decibel101 Offline

Loc: Manhattan
It's not all that loud or anything like that. But I can hear it, and now I'm so upset. I don't think i have the 2000? dollars it costs to replace the damper felts..!!

I'm getting an humidifier within the next two days and putting it in my room and hoping somehow that will make it better, but who knows. \:\(

#631155 - 12/27/01 11:39 AM Re: damper pedal question
EricL Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
My guess is that 'annoying' sound produced by the damper felt brushing against the strings is always there. You just happened to notice it recently. Believe me, this is very common and has happened to many people. A somewhat 'perfect' piano at the time of purchase will become more and more 'imperfect' the longer you own it because you will start to find little things that are wrong with it when you have time to inspect it more thoroughly and meticulously.

The faint twanging noise you hear is very common among Asian made production pianos because the damper felt used in these pianos is not of the highest quality and thus has a (relatively) high friction index. The culprits are almost always those wedge or double wedge shaped dampers in the upper bass, tenor and midrange section of the piano. You can comfirm this by holding down all the keys with the wedge and double wedge shaped dampers before you press on the sustain pedal to see if the twanging noise disappears. If it does, a little lubrication may help. Just apply a *small* quantity of Protek at the damper felt/strings interface and you should see an improvement. This, of course, presumes that the dampers are perfectly aligned with the strings (i.e., all the dampers are squared with the strings and no sideways movement occurs when they are lifted off the strings.) If they do, a thorough damper regulation is in order.

Although Protek is an efficient lubricant, its long term effect on pianos has not been thoroughly studied. If the noise is not too loud, my advice to you is to do nothing and try to get used to it.

Eric

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: EricL ]

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (36251, accordeur, anotherscott, Al LaPorte, anamnesis, 32 invisible), 1452 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76651 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327528 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission