Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#631512 - 01/26/02 08:59 PM A question on the Yamaha U3
Peter Offline

Loc: Australia
Hello all.

I'm not a technician, but I was hoping your expertise could help me with a problem I have been having with my Yamaha U3.

I've only purchased it recently and it is 20 years old, and there seems to be a fair bit of vibration noise when striking the keys, particularly in the lower keys.

This problem seems to come and go with the weather, especially when it is cooler, and renders the piano unplayable occasionally as it is very annoying.

The technician has been back once to have a look at the problem, but the noise quickly came back.

I've found that applying a bit of pressure on what appears to be a 3" strip of aluminium (sorry I don't know the name) behind the action stops the vibration.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the cause of the problem here? Is this a major problem?

Thanks in advance for your time, and I hope I have provided enough information for your to help.

Thanks again.

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#631513 - 01/27/02 01:11 PM Re: A question on the Yamaha U3
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
These sorts of disturbances are indeed rather annoying as they are quite often intermittent and the changing weather can easily be responsible.

Best thing is to have the tech come out at the time the problem acts up. And I'm addressing this as a tech who knows only too well the frustration of having been on a service call for something like this and the problem mysteriously vanished before I got there(and have to assume returned after I left).

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com

#631514 - 01/27/02 05:48 PM Re: A question on the Yamaha U3
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

These sorts of disturbances are indeed rather annoying as they are quite often intermittent and the changing weather can easily be responsible.

Best thing is to have the tech come out at the time the problem acts up. And I'm addressing this as a tech who knows only too well the frustration of having been on a service call for something like this and the problem mysteriously vanished before I got there(and have to assume returned after I left).

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com

#631515 - 02/03/02 04:04 AM Re: A question on the Yamaha U3
Peter Offline

Thankyou for your reply, Mark

The technician has been to inspect the piano and tightened a few loose screws on the action and the centre thing that secures the action to the frame. (Sorry, I don't know the name of it).

Well that seemed to fix the problem, at least for a few days. But it did come back. After calling the dealership, the owner came to inspect it, taking the action out and tightened more screws. He claimed that the "noise" I was complaining about was simply normal action noise and the acoustics of my room didn't help the situation.

After the owner had left, I found that I could very easily stop the "rattle" by loosening the centre pin. Now I've been led to believe that the 3 pins are meant to be relatively tight to hold the action in. When it is tightened though, I get the noise. Do you think this could mean possible problems with the soundboard? This is all I can think of, and I am more than certain the sound has absolutely nothing to do with regular action noise.

While the dealer told me this is normal for U3's, he offered a replacement model (another used U3). What do you think of this situation?

Thanks again,

Peter Dale.

#631516 - 02/03/02 12:54 PM Re: A question on the Yamaha U3
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Peter--

Yes, I'd consider accepting the owner's offer to exchange your U3 with another. While the U3's by and large are fine uprights, you might have one that has a particular glitch in it that would necessitate a rather lengthy investigation into the cause of that noise and your residence may not be the best place for that.
When the piano is returned to the store, the tech there can then commence with this(possibly)painstaking procedure.

Mark

#631517 - 02/11/02 10:09 PM Re: A question on the Yamaha U3
Christopher Stubbs Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Try adjusting the damper slap rail, as it can be easily overlooked. Hope this is of help.

#631518 - 02/14/02 06:04 AM Re: A question on the Yamaha U3
Peter Offline

rebuilder, Christopher,

Thankyou for your help. A different technician checked my problem out, and thankfully fixed it.

He took the action out, and tightened the centre screw (or bolt) that the action rests upon... Problem solved!

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, Allard, a-z0-9, 23 invisible), 1273 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156117 Topics
2292568 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How To Improve?
by Xagan
43 minutes 37 seconds ago
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
Today at 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
Today at 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission