Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#632717 - 03/25/07 11:02 PM Noisy notes - need advice
Captain Obvious Offline

I just got a new Kawai RX-2. I had it tuned Friday.

F5 on my piano is just a noisy key. Played p or lower, it sounds ok. If you start to get on it, there is a vibration noise as if something is loose. I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas about what would cause this?

If it turns out to be a loose screw somewhere or a couple pieces of wood that are almost touching but only get excited by a few notes, then I'm not too worried.

If the problem is a poor bridge connection to the soundboard or something else like that, well, that's a little worrisome.

I ran my hand all around the underbelly looking for any debris, and I also inspected the soundboard as well as I could to make sure there was nothing on it.

If I have my head in the piano at the bass end, I definitely perceive the sound coming from the area of that note, not somewhere else. So I do think it has something to do with the connection between the string and the bridge, or the bridge and the soundboard... but I could be completely wrong.

What do you think the most likely cause of this vibrating, honking kind of sound?

Also, can anyone personally recommend a tech in the Omaha area? I've been to the PTG site, but I have no idea how to pick from the 5 or so people on the list.

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#632718 - 03/25/07 11:10 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If it is a new piano, the person who tuned it should have repaired the note.

#632719 - 03/25/07 11:15 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Captain Obvious Offline

I don't know if this makes a difference, but this was a tuner I hired, not one provided by the dealer.

#632720 - 03/25/07 11:59 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
piannaman Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I doubt that it's a structural defect involving the soundboard and/or bridge, but it's hard enough to find these things when one is on site, much less when one is sitting comfortably in his own home browsing through PianoWorld's forums...:-)

Did you point the problem out to the tuner while he was there? Did he attempt to fix it?

I've had noises on pianos come from not-so-obvious places, including the lock (yours may still be taped shut, and if it is taped shut, couldn't be the problem, but check it), case parts, light fixtures, picture frames, Legos on the soundboard, loose hammer rail nuts, yada, yada, yada....

Some things just get excited by certain frequencies. It's gotta be annoying for you. If it's a brand new piano, call Kawai to see if they have someone in your area who troubleshoots things like this. They are quite responsive to customer inquiries and do their best to resolve this sort of technical issue.

Dave Stahl, RPT
http://dstahlpiano.net/
dstahlpiano@sbcglobal.net

#632721 - 03/26/07 08:10 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
David Jenson Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
It could also be a bass string with loose windings. If the dealer balks, or warranty is problematic, have the technician loosen and twist the offending string one turn in the direction of the windings.

David
-----

#632722 - 03/26/07 08:26 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
piannaman Offline

David,

F5 is wire, close to the treble break on the RX2, either right next to it or one removed, I believe.

If the dealer is unwilling to help you out (he shouldn't be, you just laid out a good sized chunk o' cash), I'd talk directly to Kawai.

Dave Stahl, RPT

#632723 - 03/26/07 09:33 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
2000 Post Club Member

Oops! What does one eat with humble pie?
-----

#632724 - 03/26/07 10:10 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
piannaman Offline

Crow tastes pretty good with a bit of salsa...I've eaten my share!

Dave Stahl, RPT

#632725 - 03/26/07 10:13 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
More likely it's loose screw. I had the same problem on a RX 3. I looked for hours, called Kawaii. I added a piece of felt between the upper lyre support and the underbelly. That helped but when summer hit and everything dries out, it got worse. Mainly it was on D# 5 and when I snugged the plate bolts it went away. I did the same thing the next summer, looked for the darn buzz for an hour before I remembered the plate bolts and it was the same one. A little snug and it cleaned up. She hasn't had a problem with it since.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#632726 - 03/26/07 10:33 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Captain Obvious Offline

Yikes. Plate bolts. Should I be doing that myself?

Also, since my dealer is not local (2.5 hours away), I declined the first tuning/voicing in favor of finding someone local. The price of the piano was adjusted accordingly, so there is no foul there.

#632727 - 03/26/07 07:01 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Don't recommend you doing anything to a new piano. Get the tech back out. Perhaps a damperwire is being struck by a hard-attack string lateral movement. These things can be annoying. Don't go looking for the most ugly case scenerio. May be something simple.

#632728 - 03/26/07 07:26 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#632729 - 03/26/07 08:07 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Igor Stravinsky Offline

USAPianoTrucker gives you very sound advice.
My new piano had a buzzing sound coming from one of the dampers landing on the strings. The noise disappeared on its own in 7 or 8 days. I guess it just acclimated. So, relax and play your piano. Ask the tech about the sound that's annoying on his next scheduled visit.

#632730 - 03/26/07 08:34 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Casalborgone Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Area
 Quote:
Originally posted by Cephas:
USAPianoTrucker gives you very sound advice.
My new piano had a buzzing sound coming from one of the dampers landing on the strings. The noise disappeared on its own in 7 or 8 days. I guess it just acclimated. So, relax and play your piano. Ask the tech about the sound that's annoying on his next scheduled visit. [/b]
I'm chiming in here. It is all too easy to focus on the little noisy problems that invariably come along with a new piano. A better focus of attention is on what sounds good (or wonderful) in your instrument. There has got to be lots more of the good to listen to! The odd noises will be sorted out in time. In fact, if you focus on the good sounds your piano makes, the noises will disappear.
Not currently working in the piano trade.

#632731 - 03/26/07 08:36 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Anne Francis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
I'm relieved to hear experienced techs talk about spending a lot of time finding the source of buzzes and rattles. I get rattled just thinking about it.

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

#632732 - 03/26/07 09:52 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Captain Obvious Offline

Well, I've been playing a few other songs tonight, and it is apparent that the noise isn't limited to the F5. I also have noise from G5 and others in the area. I hear noise in the fourth octave also, but it is less pronounced... higher tone to noise ratio I guess.

I have to believe something is loose.. probably a screw or bolt as Keith suggests. Whatever it is, I don't think it is within my reach (probably under the strings somewhere).

If I figure it out, I'll let you know. Otherwise, it will just have to be that way until I can get a tech out. Not sure if a loose screw would qualify as warranty work, but maybe I'll call Kawai.

#632733 - 03/26/07 10:13 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
U S A P T Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: An Indiana University
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted

#632734 - 03/27/07 05:23 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
USA has a good point and it is one I have made before too. However, as he says it is an organic box. It will have loose screws and a tech needs to go over a new piano and check ALL screws, not just the plate bolts. Yamaha requires that on their service bond.
Up here, people move from the coast and all their screwed together furniture falls apart. I get a quarter to a half a turn on a screw when tightening wippen and flange screws. This is new wood and it is changing so have a tech keep up with the sagging strings and the action going out of adjustment, dampers pack, etc and all these things will clean up.
Too many techs pass off a buzz as being part of the piano sound. I listen and decide if the sound if pervasive or does it have a definate location and I look and I try to find parts that are buzzing and such. An S&S A3 that Sarn?? the violinist for the SF symphony had looked at and complained he didn't like the Steinway sound had a buzz coming from the music desk guide. The buzz was making me mad. Took me weeks to find it. I'd sit and couldn't play because I had to look for the buzz. The finishers had broken the brass screws that held the brass guide on hadn't gotten the thing tight because the brass screws were going to break off without good pilot holes. What a joy that A was to play when I fixed that.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#632735 - 03/27/07 06:36 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
2000 Post Club Member

Do you have someone else around who can hit the offending notes while you look for the source?

On one memorable occasion I had an offending range of notes in a small grand that buzzed. The sound seemed to originate inside the piano, but I couldn't find any source. Finally, I had the client hit the notes while I walked around the room. I found the piano buzz. It was a candle sconce with a penchant for ventriloquism a good ten feet away from the piano!

It's not a common thing, but it's at least worth a check.
-----

#632736 - 03/31/07 08:50 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Steve W Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
 Quote:
Originally posted by smallfish:
Do you have someone else around who can hit the offending notes while you look for the source?

On one memorable occasion I had an offending range of notes in a small grand that buzzed. The sound seemed to originate inside the piano, but I couldn't find any source. Finally, I had the client hit the notes while I walked around the room. I found the piano buzz. It was a candle sconce with a penchant for ventriloquism a good ten feet away from the piano!

It's not a common thing, but it's at least worth a check. [/b]
I wonder if this phenomenon isn't actually fairly common...I know it has happened to me on my own pianos on at least 2 occasions, and it drove me crazy until I found the source. It is remarkable how some objects sympathetically vibrate when you hit a piano key, and also remarkable how poorly we localize those sounds.

#632737 - 04/05/07 12:41 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Verdi Offline

Loc: North Tonawanda, NY (Buffalo)
I have a similar problem with our newly acquired (recently rebuilt) 1927 M&H AA. A couple of the notes around middle C and up at times exhibit a metallic sound. It seems to mostly happen when played more robustly. Any ideas / advice? The tech said to wait a couple months.

#632738 - 04/05/07 07:00 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Captain Obvious Offline

I wouldn't call the sound I'm describing as metalic, though I do have that with some other notes.

The only thing I haven't ruled out is the light fixture which is 9ft above the floor. I'll have to get a ladder out to check that.

Anyway, my dealer is going to send a tech out sometime in the near future. Hopefully he can remedy all my piano ailments.

#632739 - 04/05/07 11:44 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Steve W Offline

Loc: Omaha, NE
I re-read your first post and realized you, too, are in Omaha -

Do you still need a name of a piano tech?

Send me a PM and can let you know who I've worked with before.

#632740 - 04/06/07 09:34 PM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
R Barber Offline

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

F5 on my piano is just a noisy key. Played p or lower, it sounds ok. If you start to get on it, there is a vibration noise as if something is loose. I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas about what would cause this?

If it turns out to be a loose screw somewhere or a couple pieces of wood that are almost touching but only get excited by a few notes, then I'm not too worried.

If the problem is a poor bridge connection to the soundboard or something else like that, well, that's a little worrisome.

I ran my hand all around the underbelly looking for any debris, and I also inspected the soundboard as well as I could to make sure there was nothing on it.

If I have my head in the piano at the bass end, I definitely perceive the sound coming from the area of that note, not somewhere else. So I do think it has something to do with the connection between the string and the bridge, or the bridge and the soundboard... but I could be completely wrong.

What do you think the most likely cause of this vibrating, honking kind of sound?

Also, can anyone personally recommend a tech in the Omaha area? I've been to the PTG site, but I have no idea how to pick from the 5 or so people on the list. [/b]
Eenie-meenie miney-moe.

I just saw a Kawai that had felt woven into the damper lever spring, I have had lots of those cause a buzz- sometimes I just stuff paper towel under the spring, but now I've seen something that looks nicer, even though you can't see anything down there.

Also check hammer-string mating.
Music desk and desk rails,
Hinges' screws, sometimes a hinge pin almost coming out- allowing the loose end to buzz (Yesterday's discovery).

There should be a FAQ for this...

#632741 - 04/07/07 12:14 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Captain Obvious Offline

I actually did find the cause for one of my issues. The C# in the second octave always sounded weird and didn't play as loudly as the others around it. It almost sounded like one of the unisons was being grazed, or was chirping almost like a big pipe organ when I played quietly.

I used a clean cotton towel to dampen one unison and then play the note. Then I switched unisons. One unison played fine, but the other didn't unless I struck hard. I'm guessing either my hammer isn't square to the strings, or the strings are uneven.

I actually noticed this strange sounding note in the store and the tech that was there tried needling the hammer a bit... seems like a strange solution for a note that was actually missing some gusto.

#632742 - 04/07/07 12:21 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
piannaman Offline

Hammer/string mating, as Mr. Barber says, will help even out the tone and get rid of lots of funky noises. It's something that should be done before "voicing" with needles is done.

Needling/voicing is the final touch on a piano where everything is regulated, hammers mated, piano tuned.

Dave Stahl, RPT

#632743 - 04/07/07 12:59 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
R Barber Offline

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA
 Quote:

I actually noticed this strange sounding note in the store and the tech that was there tried needling the hammer a bit... seems like a strange solution for a note that was actually missing some gusto. [/b]
Some techs prefer to needle straight thru (like a secant) across the crown under side of the hammer that would have been too low, raising the hammer felt by separating the fiber on that side. Others prefer to file/sand the hammers to match the shape of the strings, others prefer to lift the strings to match the hammers. Many will go thru a combination of these until the desired effect is achieved.

For a second there I though you said you dampened the string with wet cotton. :p

#632744 - 04/08/07 01:29 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
Captain Obvious Offline

No need to use a wet cloth since I had already sprayed down all the strings with Tilex to get rid of that ugly black mold that grows on them.

#632745 - 02/12/09 06:06 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
eightyeight_keys Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
 Quote:
Originally posted by BDB:
If it is a new piano, the person who tuned it should have repaired the note. [/b]
Yes I agree here - the tuner should have repaired it!!! If he was paid by the dealer, then if he needed to spend more time, he shoud have charged the dealer!
Yamaha W7 Synthesizer
Roland E09W Interactive Arranger

#632746 - 02/12/09 06:09 AM Re: Noisy notes - need advice
eightyeight_keys Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
 Quote:

Also, can anyone personally recommend a tech in the Omaha area? I've been to the PTG site, but I have no idea how to pick from the 5 or so people on the list. [/b]
Yes I agree here - the tuner should have repaired it!!! If he was paid by the dealer, then if he needed to spend more time, he should have charged the dealer!
Yamaha W7 Synthesizer
Roland E09W Interactive Arranger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (AZ_Astro, 36251, BarryR, anotherscott, 38 invisible), 1290 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76031 Members
42 Forums
157205 Topics
2308866 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin Upright
by MaxR
09/01/14 09:29 AM
Upgrading a Yamaha Silent Series piano
by pianelmo
09/01/14 07:14 AM
Stuck in method books.
by Chris H.
09/01/14 06:45 AM
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
09/01/14 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
09/01/14 01:54 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission