Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#632868 - 02/28/02 01:47 AM Cabinet side looks cloudy
Jay Offline

Loc: AUD
Hi,

I have a high polished piano that was bought recently, I dont see anything when I first gotten it but now the side of the cabinet is turning abit cloudy/smokey, doesn't look shine anymore.

What is the causes? Is it polyester defect or etc.. Is there anyway to repair it.

Thank You \:\(

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: Jay ]

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#632869 - 02/28/02 08:46 AM Re: Cabinet side looks cloudy
PNO2NER Offline

Loc: Traverse City, MI
Hi Jay: Don't know the reason for your high gloss finish not to be high gloss in that area, but I have found a polish which corrects the problem. Its called Meguiar's plastic polish # 10. Its available in automotive supply stores, and is made to remove scratches from plastic rear windows of convertibles. Its a very fine, gentle abrasive in suspension, (looks like milk) but really work. Depending on how cloudy the area is, you may have to reapply the product several times, but with patience, it will produce the desired result. The secret is a soft, cotton cloth. I use old T shirt material, but baby diapers are also good. Good Luck.... PNO2NER.

#632870 - 02/28/02 09:38 AM Re: Cabinet side looks cloudy
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
Good advice. But if the piano is new, I'd call the dealer and have them send out their touchup guy to take care of it. I've seen a few pianos lately where the poly simply got sprayed onto the piano poorly, and had a cloudy look to it as a result. It appears to me that the poly was either sprayed with too much pressure, or was contaminated somehow.

What Piano2tnr has suggested is certainly a good way to remove a haze on the finish, but if the problem is defective poly, nothing will fix it. I've had a couple that were so bad I had to send them back to the manufacturer. That's why if the piano is new, I'd make the dealer take care of it.

#632871 - 03/01/02 04:15 AM Re: Cabinet side looks cloudy
Jay Offline

Thank you for the information PNO2NER I will try that. And if that doesn't work, Larry I'll sure hunt that dealer down.

Have a nice day.

#632872 - 03/01/02 01:31 PM Re: Cabinet side looks cloudy
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Disclaimer: I know VERY little about this kind of thing. (But I do have friends in high places.)

I'm wondering what make of piano this is? During my piano search I came across some Schimmels that had a similar problem. Schimmel had encountered a defect in the polyester and had the defective pianos resprayed into a hand-rubbed satin finish. I was considering buying one of these pianos and checked with a friend of mine who works for a company that sells industrial coatings to piano/guitar/percussion companies. He told me that Schimmel's explanation was certainly possible. But he also warned that moisture coming up from the wood itself would make the finish appear "cloudy". This could be a serious problem for a piano. In the end, I didn't buy the Schimmel (although I thought they were wonderful pianos). But I'd get recommend getting your piano checked by someone who really knows piano finishes.

#632873 - 03/25/02 04:28 PM Re: Cabinet side looks cloudy
Frank Weston Offline

Polyester finishes can cloud when exposed to a water based cleaner ro polish such the common spray cleaners, Endust, et al. Use a dryer sheet to gently wipe dust off the surface, and then buff gently with a very soft, clean, and above all, dry cotton rag.

Frank Weston

#632874 - 04/07/02 10:23 PM Re: Cabinet side looks cloudy
Jay Offline

Pheww.... the problem is now rectify. Am glad that the piano did not need to leave the house.

A technician came over to inspect the piano last week. He suspect when the piano was in factory, the buffing on the cabinet was not done properly. He uses this 3M product(medium & fine scratches polisher) and apply on the cloudy area and it is gone.
Wow din know we can do MAGIC on polyester finish

#632875 - 04/08/02 04:42 AM Re: Cabinet side looks cloudy
lb Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Indiana

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (accordeur, 36251, Abby Pianoman, Alexander Borro, 49 invisible), 1428 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157249 Topics
2309618 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Aebersold Play-Alongs
by EP
09/02/14 06:39 PM
Plan on playing this Thursday night
by Visalia
09/02/14 06:16 PM
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission