Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#634126 - 11/10/06 07:08 AM how to tell piano needs tuning
LeahG Offline

OK,dumb question. How can you tell if your piano needs tuning? I know the recommendation is at least twice a year, but since pianos can go very gradually out of tune, you may not notice it or realize that it could be sounding a lot better.

Do you just play until it sounds horrible to you, or do you automaticlly schedule a six month tune up regardless? In other words, is there an objective way to judge?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#634127 - 11/10/06 07:45 AM Re: how to tell piano needs tuning
Robert Scott Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Automatically scheduling a tuning every 6 months helps not only for tuning but for keeping on top of various other things that can go bad, like regulation, dampers, and sticking keys. But if you want an objective way to hear the need for a tuning without learning the trade yourself, just play the notes one at a time and listen for bad unisons. That is where the three strings that make up one note are not tuned exactly the same. The effect is that the sound of a single note will waver, or beat. The more noticeable the beat, the more you are in need of a tuning. The unisons are generally the first to go and the easiest for a non-professional to hear.

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan

#634128 - 11/10/06 05:55 PM Re: how to tell piano needs tuning
Kallie Swanepoel Offline

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
If you haven't been practicing music for quite a while yet, and your not sure if the piano needs tuning or not, it's safest to have your piano tuned once in summer and once in winter, until you can distinguish by own hearing. And that takes some time to develop. From then on, you might want to have your piano tuned more often, to suit your own requirements. Notes have to be played in harmony with each other in order for the listener to tell if the piano needs tuning or not. If you play single notes in the first octave plus, you might not here that the notes are false, for there's no unisons to listen for, because in that part of the piano, there's normally only one string per note. If you play single notes higher up in the scale, you might be able to tell from the sound of the unison if the piano is false or not. If the unisons sound fine, play octaves in the middle and treble sections of the piano, and you might get the same effects like with the unisons. In some cases the unisons of single notes sound relatively fine, but if you listen to the octaves, you most probably might be able to tell if the piano needs tuning or not. My assistant is no musician or tuner, but he can tell if a piano needs tuning or not, but then, he is working on pianos now for nearly 25 years.

#634129 - 11/10/06 06:37 PM Re: how to tell piano needs tuning
Jim Puckett Offline

Loc: Lubbock, Texas
I'll echo what you are hearing from others except to say this: The twice a year guideline is for a "normal" amount of use on a home piano that is in good shape and is kept in shape. A piano that hasn't been taken care of for the last 15 years may need more tunings in the first year. A piano that is used more heavily than "normal" may need more frequent care (i.e. piano teachers home, a room where a band practices regularly, a home where 4 kids take piano lessons and practice all the time, etc.)

Stability, in the long run, will come from regular care whether your ear says it's time or not....

I have recommended to several of my customers who haven't taken care of their pianos regularly- that they should just go ahead and schedule 3 or 4 tunings for the first year so the piano has the best chance of "catching up" with its new tension level. Even if the cost of 4 tunings isn't possible for them they will usually schedule 3.
www.greaterlubbockpianocare.com

#634130 - 12/09/06 05:00 PM Re: how to tell piano needs tuning
Randy Karasik Offline

Loc: Arvada, Colorado, USA, Earth
A piano can lose pitch and still sound relatively 'in tune' with itself. Until you know the normal behavior of your piano, and whether it holds pitch from season to season, plan on twice a year.

Once you know that the piano hold pitch extremely well, you can stretch out the time between tunings and still get good results with each tuning.

Most of my clients will go once a year, some every 2 to 3 years. My biggest issue when I return to tune a piano, is how far do I need to adjust pitch. If after 2 years the piano still only needs a 2 beat-per-second pitch adjustment, the tuning goes very easily and will be stable.

But many pianos, particularly those which are subject to swamp coolers, don't have such good stability and if let go long enough will require a pitch adjustment that will exceed that which will result in a stable tuning.
www.karasikpiano.com

#634131 - 12/09/06 06:34 PM Re: how to tell piano needs tuning
Jim Puckett Offline

Loc: Lubbock, Texas
Tuning is like the basic regular maintenance care of the piano. Like an oil change for a car. In addition to the piano sounding good - which seems to be reasonable for a musical instrument. The piano was designed to operate with the strings at a certain level of tension. When a piano is not maintained in tuning - especially for long periods of time - it will affect the performance of other elements of the piano's performance.

Also - the tuning time is the time where small problems can be noticed and fixed before they become big problems.
www.greaterlubbockpianocare.com

#634132 - 12/09/06 07:06 PM Re: how to tell piano needs tuning
jivemutha Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, OR
A lot of what sound to me a little self-serving . . . Just wait 'til it starts to not sound in really good tune. Nothing bad will happen. I've played for 55 years. I don't schedule tunes. I wait 'til it starts to sound slightly out. You may hear it first with bad octaves, or more likely within one note you'll start to hear that there is more than one string. Though there are 3 per note (in the treble), your ear should not be able to tell. When you can tell, it's time for a tune.

If you have a piano known for tuning stability (e.g., Yamaha) you'll find one tune a year is often enough! In contrast, sharp shifts in temp/humidity will usually require a tune even if it hasn't been very long. JUST USE YOUR EAR! You'll save some $ and your pins will stay tighter longer.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Almaviva, 51 invisible), 1785 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252758 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission