Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#634734 - 02/28/02 11:39 AM Help, Harshness
Bechstein Bob Offline

Hello. I need your help. I just bought a used Bechstein grand which was dropped during shipping causing some damage to the legs. The piano now sounds harsh it is not just brightness, there is a metallic quality when played which was not there when we auditioned it. It has been tuned with the harshness remaining. The hammers are original and look like new. The tuner suggested voicing to tune it down a bit. If the hammers are made softer, how does this affect the sound? is it just a matter of lowering the volume. any ideas? thanks

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#634735 - 02/28/02 12:47 PM Re: Help, Harshness
Brian Lawson, RPT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Africa
If it was shipped, the legs would have been removed, and I assume crated or at least strapped in within a truck. SO, dont quite follow how damage was caused.

How old is it? for the hammers to be original and look like new it would have to be within a couple of years old and not played.

Going back, if the piano itself was dropped then measurments should be taken to be sure the action is in place and it is regulated before being voiced.

any other data you have?

http://www.lawsonic.co.za

#634736 - 02/28/02 02:04 PM Re: Help, Harshness
Bechstein Bob Offline

Hi Brian, tahnks for the reply. The piano was crated, the legs were bubble wrapped and taped to the wrapped piano. Somehow, the piano during shipping was dropped/fell over, landing in a normal playing position, the original top og the crate was destroyed. I se your are in SA. I met a really nice tuner Peter Maher, I think he was in Johanessburg. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll look into it, bob

#634737 - 02/28/02 02:09 PM Re: Help, Harshness
Bechstein Bob Offline

Hi Brian, You had asked about the hammers, Hte piano is a 1923 Bechstein. The entire action/hammere look brand new. The owner states that they are original. The tuner remarked he was amazed of their condition. And would not know how they could have been cleaned to look like this if indeed they were. I am assuming that they are the original as it explained to me as an older type Bechstein mechanism and I would think the original owner would have mentioned if it were rebuilt to increase the sale price. thanks Bob

#634738 - 02/28/02 03:08 PM Re: Help, Harshness
EricL Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by DSTANTSTAR:
The piano now sounds harsh it is not just brightness, there is a metallic quality when played which was not there when we auditioned it. [/b]

Sorry to hear about this mishap. If I were a tech working on your piano, I would probably do the following:

1. Inspect the piano carefully to see if there are any cracks on any parts of the piano, or foreign objects loose inside the piano.

2. Check all joinery and make sure they are all intact.

3. Pay particular attention to the integrity of the brace beams (if the damaged leg was tucked in the belly of the piano between the brace beams.)

4. Tighten all the bolts that hold the plate to the inner rim of the piano as well as the bolts that connect the plate to the brace beams.

5. Check that all strings are properly sat on the bridges, and have sufficient downbearing.

6. Check that all hammers are hitting squarely on the strings. (I.e., all strings are hit at the same time by the hammer.)

7. Make sure the action is positioned as it should be. (I.e., the strike distance, the strike position, etc. are all correct.)

BEFORE I would start voicing the hammers.

In fact, I would NOT do anything until some kind of agreement is reached between you and the insurance company. You don't want the insurance company to say it was the tech who worked on your piano, and not the accident that caused the problem you described.

Eric

[ February 28, 2002: Message edited by: EricL ]

#634739 - 02/28/02 03:17 PM Re: Help, Harshness
Bechstein Bob Offline

Thanks Eric for your in depth reply. I will do what you recommend as it seems logical and comprehensive. Bob

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Console
by landorrano
09/17/14 03:48 PM
Kawai VPC1 - What do I need to start?
by Gerardo Melara
09/17/14 03:32 PM
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
09/17/14 01:13 PM
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
09/17/14 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
09/17/14 11:47 AM
Who's Online
144 registered (accordeur, acdyer, AEMontoya, Adypiano, 3times2, 45 invisible), 1492 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157582 Topics
2314699 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission