Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#634950 - 08/03/07 06:20 AM How do I fix double striking in an upright?
ppsantos Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I had my upright piano (made in China) tuned 16 days ago, and one double striking key was fixed. Today I noticed another key double striking when played pp. I read that this is not uncommon problem in upright pianos. How do I fix the double striking key , even if I have no background in piano action? Or should I call the piano technician to fix it, and possibly pay again?

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#634951 - 08/03/07 06:58 AM Re: How do I fix double striking in an upright?
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
There is probably nothing you can do to fix it. If you can live with it, wait until the next time it is tuned. Keep a record of double-striking notes for the tech.

#634952 - 08/03/07 02:13 PM Re: How do I fix double striking in an upright?
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
You have a common problem. It is caused by felts packing and settling in with playing. It is problem with the whole piano not just one note. The action adjustments need to be brought back into the parameters of an action.
More than likely the keydip has gotten shallow or some lost motion has developed so on pp blows it bobbles. maybe both.

If I have to keep going back many times for the same problem before I solve it, I don't want to know how many notes it was. How embarrassing.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#634953 - 08/03/07 03:27 PM Re: How do I fix double striking in an upright?
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
I always like to advise clients with uprights that their playing technique can cause the double strike on pp or ppp playing simply because on the upright action you must completely bottom out the key against the front rail punching when playing. It is tempting to not do this when playing softly.
If the double strike keys appear random then check your technique.

#634954 - 08/04/07 05:54 PM Re: How do I fix double striking in an upright?
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Gene is right about this. Any technician can "fake" double striking in a piano by knowing just when to stop pressing the key. While it is entirely possible that some action parameters have fallen short, it is also equally possible that the pianist feels the point of escapement (also called "let-off") of the action and when attempting to play very softly and stops pressing the key at that point. The hammer then rebounds on top of the jack. Americans call this "hammer bobbling", the French Canadians call it "dancing".

One thing you, as the piano owner can do is to lift off the front panel to observe how the piano action (the mechanism) works. Get a flashlight and with the left hand (or have someone else hold the light) and observe how the mechanism of one of the ends of a section works, where you can get a good side view. Play the key with normal force (mf). You will see how the piece called the "jack" pushes the hammer but just before the hammer reaches the string, the jack will escape backwards to allow the hammer to strike the string freely and then be caught (technicians call the catching action to "check") by the piece called the "back check".

Then, press the key very slowly and gently, as if trying to play "ppp" and stop just at the point of escapement. The hammer will probably rebound and double strike as you have described. If you then play the key very softly again but deliberately press it all the way through its range of motion, it should play normally. Now, move to a key that you were experiencing the problem with. If you play very softly but are sure you press the key through its entire motion and the hammer still rebounds and double strikes, it does indicate a regulation problem. If not, it indicates that when attempting to play very softly, you are also not playing the key through its entire range of motion.

The most common cause for a regulation problem in such a new piano would be what technicians call "lost motion". This develops primarily because the jack itself has compacted the material of the hammer butt against which it pushes. This material is soft and compresses easily. There is other material which can compress as well, the back rail cloth against which the key rests and the balance rail material upon which the key lies. But it the case of the last two, the level of the key would appear either too high or too low respectively. These latter two causes are less likely at this point.

To test for the lost motion problem, put your finger on the key and press very gently and watch to see if the backcheck moves slightly before the hammer but is engaged. Watch the piece directly in front of it called the "catcher". If the two pieces do not move simultaneously, there is lost motion and you will need a technician to adjust the action to remedy it.

Manufacturers of vertical pianos most often will set the distance from the hammer to the string as the hammer is at rest called the "blow distance" slightly short of the ideal specification when the piano is new, specifically to avoid the problem you describe. Lost motion sets in very easily and quickly on new pianos. The slightly short blow distance causes the jack to escape and move back further than it really needs to when the piano is new but avoids the problem you describe. The jack escapes early in the key movement and the player doesn't notice or feel that movement. So, even if the player doesn't press the key entirely through its range of motion, the hammer will not rebound or double strike.

It is also possible that the escapement adjustment for the keys you have a problem with has been set a little too close to the string. This would also cause double striking when the player's technique is not really at fault. This kind of problem would only involve a very quick and easy adjustment to the problem keys. If lost motion is the problem, it also can be remedied fairly quickly. If it is determined that all of the hammers are near the limit at which they would rebound upon very soft playing, even with full range of key motion, the hammer rest rail needs to be set just slightly higher as with a thin shim of cloth being glued to its rest pads, then the resultant lost motion needs to be adjusted for each key. The latter is a very commonly needed adjustment in a new vertical piano.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
176 registered (accordeur, ABC Vermonter, A Guy, alfredo capurso, 51 invisible), 1881 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74313 Members
42 Forums
153703 Topics
2253265 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Art of the Sound Clip
by Jolly
Today at 02:52 PM
5 Abstract Studies
by Simon Hester
Today at 02:37 PM
Chopin Prelude in C Minor
by arty
Today at 02:14 PM
Question for shigeru owners.. what sounded similar ?
by Brother Methias
Today at 01:51 PM
Amazing Grace piano duet
by Erkamurka
Today at 12:47 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission