Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#637678 - 03/23/05 04:33 PM method of muting
Josef Offline

I have talked to several other piano techs about the method they use to mute a piano during tuning. Some use temperament strips to mute the piano entirely and some use the strip for the temperament section in the middle. I talked to many who prefer felt wedge mutes rather than rubber. What methods do you all prefer when tuning a grand or upright?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#637679 - 03/23/05 05:16 PM Re: method of muting
Piano Guy Offline

Loc: Southern Ontario,Canada
Strip mute from beginning of unwound strings, all the way to top. Rubber mutes in the bass. Paps mute [tweezer like] for isolating strings during a double check.

#637680 - 03/23/05 05:37 PM Re: method of muting
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
I depends on individual preference and what you find works for you. The piece of felt the supply house sells as a "temperament strip" will wear out quickly and will choke off many middle strings at first. The best material to use is what is sold as "abstract or sticker cloth". Buy 3 strips of it. One of the strips you will have to taper about the last 1/3 of it to half its width in order for it to fit in the upper part of the tenor section of a vertical.

You can mute the entire treble section of a vertical by sliding the strip under the dampers or cut the strip in half lengthwise so it will fit between the top of the dampers and the bottom of the hammers. The material will be stiff and thick at first but will wear well. I tune over a thousand pianos a year and almost always do a double pass. That means I am inserting and pulling the cloth well over two thousand times before it wears out. The felt wouldn't last me a month.

People who mute off each unison as they go claim they don't have to do a double pass as much and that their tunings work out better. It's just a claim. They have to know how to compensate for "pounding a unison flat" and the fact that 3 strings together have about a half cent lower pitch than one string alone.

The strips work for me because they allow me to move through the piano quickly with little stress. If I were to go string by string, it would seem very tedious to me. I also raise pitch in whole steps which seems far less stressful than chromatic tuning. The strips allow me to rough tune the piano in 10-15 minutes and fine tune in usually no more than another 30 minutes. When I'm really on the ball, a complete double tuning can be accomplished in 30 minutes and it will be on pitch and very stable. Large pitch raises take more time because the initial pitch raise requires multiple strokes for each string while a usual first pass can get each string to pitch in a single stroke or two.

But try things both ways and decide which way works best for you.

#637681 - 03/23/05 08:28 PM Re: method of muting
ryan3ps Offline

Loc: North Wilkesboro, NC
I've been trying to figure out how to mute the treble with a strip mute. I'll have to try putting it below the dampers next time.

I also bought the rubber type material strip that Schaff sells to try it out. Having had any luck with it. Anyone else tried it?

www.fundingamericanow.com/rm1089

#637682 - 03/23/05 08:52 PM Re: method of muting
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I use a strip mute only in the center section where I set the temper. I use 3/8" x 3" rubber wedges on grands, and 3/8" x 3" and 1/4" x 2-5/8" wedges with handles on uprights for the rest of the piano, or where the mute strip doesn't work. The handles are skewers for sewing up turkeys which I get at the grocery store. (Oddly enough, I was tuning here in in the city yesterday, and looked out the window to see a flock of wild turkeys walking down the street.)

#637683 - 03/23/05 10:06 PM Re: method of muting
Brian Lawson, RPT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Africa
Papps mute for uprights, two rubber wedges for grands.

http://www.lawsonic.co.za

#637684 - 03/24/05 12:03 AM Re: method of muting
Robin Stevens Offline

Loc: South Australia
Paps mute for uprights and felt wedges for grands. As I use Cybertuner, and need to sample the 5 A's.
I use three pap's wedges and two felt wedges for uprights and 5 felt wedges for grands. The paps wedges really need a lot of breaking in as they start out too thick at the business end.The three I am using now are .109 thou, .101 thou, .85 thou. at the tip. Usually the thinnest tip eventually breaks and I replace it with a new one which is used for the Bass and tenor section untill it wear s and moves up the list.
As for being bored with completing each note as I go through each pass, I am not faced with going through it another another time!!
The Paps wedges are extremely versatile for quick checking of all notes and make tuning overdampers no problem.
I suppose it gets down to what we were all taught and started with.
Best thing is to try all methods and see what you feel best with.

Robin Stevens
South Australia

#637685 - 03/25/05 04:14 PM Re: method of muting
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
Josef, Josef, Josef, my dear, dear boy. Cast off the shackles of the temperment strip! Seek you the wisdom of the learned and aged. Wedges, one two and a treble mute. Learn that way and cut your time, hassle and increase profits. Then you can get a nifty hammer case like mine!!

#637686 - 03/25/05 05:50 PM Re: method of muting
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I tune by ear, and I strip the whole piano out. tune the center strings first, check my stretch, then tune the outside strings. A good whack with my key banger makes every string stable. I tune the bass last, but that's stripped out as well. I spose it's just personal preferance.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (angga888, Atrys, Anticlock, Art_Vandelay, ando, 29 invisible), 1297 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294606 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
07/29/14 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
07/28/14 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
07/28/14 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
07/28/14 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission