2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#637974 04/23/07 08:47 PM
P
P
Originally posted by ptuner:
Hongzhi,
good question. How fragile is the Fujan hammer (the carbon fiber handle)
Susceptible to heat, can it be dented or crushed easily?
I've had mine for a week and love it. I had to get accustom to two things 1. 'seeing' around the large head to guide to the next pin, but it's not a big deal. 2. the hammer has less mass than my steel ones. Some technique change later and i'm having a fun time using it. Smaller incremental pin movement with better string setting.
thanks Steve.... worthy product.
I just ordered one today as well. Looking forward to using it.

#637975 04/24/07 02:27 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's good to see most everyone on the Fujan bandwagon...I realized about a year ago that the Fujan hammer was superior in many ways, and posted then how good I thought it was laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/3/1905.html#000000

I am not a pro-tuner, just like to tune my own piano. I also am using the older version. smile

#637976 04/24/07 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ptuner:
Hongzhi,
good question. How fragile is the Fujan hammer (the carbon fiber handle)
Susceptible to heat, can it be dented or crushed easily?
I've had mine for a week and love it. I had to get accustom to two things 1. 'seeing' around the large head to guide to the next pin, but it's not a big deal. 2. the hammer has less mass than my steel ones. Some technique change later and i'm having a fun time using it. Smaller incremental pin movement with better string setting.
thanks Steve.... worthy product.
Yahh. I understand not to put a tennis racket in the car in summer. I used to be a club level tennis player, and even I take care of my carben rackets carefully, I still have three of my rackets frame broken. If I happened to leave my rackets in an exposed mid-summer noon, I am sure I will break the string within one hour of game.

In the meanwhile, some of my friends, they just store their rackets in the car all the time, they donot play like pro, and their rackets seems can last 10 years, and even never break string.

The problem is now I get the fujan, and I hope I can use it for the next 50 years (then I will be 78), I had to be careful, because I like it so much.

De BG4AWB
73!

Dr Hongzhi Mo
Lecturer

Architecture Dept., FINE ART COLLEGE
SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY
99 Shang Da Road, 200436
Shanghai, China
#637977 04/24/07 10:00 AM
Originally posted by grandpianoman:

I am not a pro-tuner, just like to tune my own piano. I also am using the older version. smile
Me too, I just like to tune my own piano, and since last Sat. I got the fujan, I have tuned three pianos for mine and my friend's, it really makes tuning amazing.

De BG4AWB
73!

Dr Hongzhi Mo
Lecturer

SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY
99 Shang Da Road, 200436
Shanghai, China
#637978 04/24/07 10:04 AM
Could anyone give me some idea, was it necessary to get 1# and 3# tip? It seems that most tuner only use 2# tip.

What's the difference between 1#,2# and 3# tip? difference in diameter or lean?

De BG4AWB
73!

Dr Hongzhi Mo
Lecturer

SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY
99 Shang Da Road, 200436
Shanghai, China
#637979 04/25/07 02:07 PM
L
L
HongZhi Mo,

#1, #2, #3 is the size of diameter and so far I am happy with #2.

Any clearance problems when you tune one the treble side of the grand?

Bernard Soetarman
Piano Techician

#637980 04/25/07 02:34 PM
P
P
Originally posted by Let the Piano Play:
HongZhi Mo,

#1, #2, #3 is the size of diameter and so far I am happy with #2.

Any clearance problems when you tune one the treble side of the grand?

Bernard Soetarman
Piano Techician
I just move to the right side of the piano (if there's room). This way the lever will point towards the back of the piano.

#637981 04/25/07 02:54 PM
L
L
Pianoman,

I agree 100%, and that is what I always do.

Bernard Soetarman
Piano Technician

#637982 04/27/07 10:44 AM
P
P
Originally posted by Let the Piano Play:
Pianoman,

I agree 100%, and that is what I always do.

Bernard Soetarman
Piano Technician
OK, what's the trick to using the Fujan lever? Do we maneuver it the same way as a conventional lever? Btw, does it come with "user instructions"? Tia

#637983 04/27/07 12:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've been following this thread as well as others on the Fujan lever for some time now trying to decide on a new hammer for myself. I've been using a Schaff Rosewood extenion hammer for to many years to mention & I know it weighs over a pound so just to put in my two cent, take a look at the Charles Faulk Original Titanium Tunning Hammer. Can be seen at www.faulkpiano.com This is the hammer I decided to buy. I received it this past Monday. Must have tuned 12 pianos since. All I can say is I love it! This is a REAL PIANO TUNER'S hammer. Mine only weighs 10.5 oz. There's no flex in the titanium shaft & as BDB, I use 4 different head & tip combinations. Makes it possible to tune just about any piano by changing heads quickly. The heads & tips can easily be purchased from any supply house at a very reasonable price. Also the best part is the difference in the price.
I saved WELL over $100.00 bucks and didn't have to buy any different heads or tips.
They also come in many types of exotic woods.

All I'm saying is there are other options out there that can get you to where your wanting to go with out reinventing the wheel and less pricey.

I hope this helps, not hurts in making your decision.........Good Hunting

Ric

Ricliz
Tuner-Tech
#637984 04/27/07 12:51 PM
Da.......Thanks / link works now

Ricliz
Tuner-Tech
#637985 04/27/07 01:43 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Take the period out after the "com"...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
#637986 04/28/07 12:40 AM
L
L
I tried Jahn Tuning Hammer and it felt nice and solid, but I could not find the one I tried on this site. I tried at PTG at Betlehem couple years ago. The shape is different.

Bernard Soetarman
Piano Technician

#637987 04/28/07 10:00 PM
Hi Ricliz,

I prefer the Charles Faulk Titanium tuning hammer too. I will order one with a "ball" handle though. I don't need the extra rigidity of the "pear" handle. I don't ever grab the tuning hammer with the hand wide open like most tuner do. I rather go with "jerk" movements to instantly change the position of the tuning pin without bending it. So with the regular extension APSCO tuning hammer I'm using now, I always end up grabbing it at the end only, so for me the ball handle is much more comfortable.

I tried a WonderWand at Wendl&Lung in Vienna where I was doing a training. I liked it very much even though the shaft was NOT made out of titanium like the Charles Faulk but didn't mind the little flex and was so comfortable with the ball end handle. It was very short (9inches) and light (maybe 9 ounces)

Looking foward to order the Charles Faulk Titanium tuning hammer.

#637988 04/29/07 01:21 PM
Hi Mario,

I prefer the Charles Faulk Titanium tuning hammer too. I will order one with a "ball" handle though.

That's the lever I was speaking of. Mine has the ball handle. As like you, I always tend to use the end of my extension lever. With the ball, feel & control as well as the weight difference makes this an excellent tuning hammer.

I don't know if you have spoke with Charles yet but he's a complete pleasure to do buisness with. Honest & knowledgeable..

Enjoy...I know your going to be very surprised.

Ric

Ricliz
Tuner-Tech
#637989 04/29/07 10:24 PM
Hi Ricliz

Really? You use a real ball handle like this one?

[Linked Image]

This one is a "cheap" WonderWan I tried in Vienna at Wendl&Lung. As you can see, it is really a ball handle and I like it soooo much!

I've communicate with Charles Faulk only by email and can confirm he sound like a real friend.

Looking foward to order my tuning hammer from him soon.

As for the tuning technique, I don't see often piano tuners who manipulate their tuning hammer the way we do, i.e. applying very small movements of the tuning pin by means of small "jerks" as opposed to "wrenching" or turning the tuning pins. I find this rather strange other tuners dont do it that way and sometimes I even think that I must be missing something! Although I can say I have one of the most stable tuning in the business in my area. I suppose I must know how to really "set" the tuning pins.

#637990 04/30/07 03:32 PM
Hi Mario.

No, thats not like the lever I ordered form Charles. By the term ball I was referring to the type that is on his website. www.faulkpiano.com It's the type with a wooden handle running a little bit more than half way up the shaft and has a ball or pear shaping at the end of the handle. You can see his entire collection by clicking on the link at the top of his page - The Original Titanium Tuning Hammer.

I hope this is the lever your considering. Now that I've tuned a few uprights with mine I know I made the right decision. Upright tuning has never been this easy, or should I say less difficult.

As far as our tuning styles being some what similar. Your correct but my tuning technique may vary for some pianos. The jerking method has been around for a long time. It was taught to me by my mentor at least 25 years ago. Thank God for him. God rest his soul.

Anyway, I'm sooo glad I bought the Charles Faulk lever. It gets better to me each time I use it.

Man...I need to get a life!!! It's just a tuning hammer. help

Ric

Ricliz
Tuner-Tech
#637991 05/04/07 11:01 PM
Hi Ricliz

I tough you where refering to the "pear" handle, not the "ball" handle. I still prefer the "ball" handle over the "pear" like Charles Faulk make them standard but I never had a chance to try them though!

You're right, lets get a life and forget about tuning hammers!!!

Or maybe at least, lets play the piano!

regards

#637992 05/20/07 11:31 AM
Just come back for a long journey to Italy. Then the screen of my HP laptop fail, had it fixed and get it back. Two days ago got my first grand, a second hand yamaha G2. It is a hard job to find the perfect one for me from about 50 second hand grands.

Come back to fujan:

I now feels it is irreproachability on pins which in good condition. Escepially on these very sensitive pins, every touch can change the pitch, as far as tune lab can tell the difference. But on some unsensitive pins and strings, fujan dose the same job than a cheaper level.

For grands, till now I tuned three grands, yamaha G2, C3, kawai GM-30, yes, there is plearance problem while point to 3 o'clock position. Than I find 11-12 o'clock positon solves the problem. And I need to tuning stand-up for the treble side. It does not bothered my after I get used to it.

For the rest part, the level is excellent!
And the feeling to move it from pin to pin are so great.

De BG4AWB
73!

Dr Hongzhi Mo
Lecturer

SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY
99 Shang Da Road, 200436
Shanghai, China
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission