2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Barry_Braksick, Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,587 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#638489 02/03/02 02:11 PM
S
subarus Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi.. Is it advisable for me to hire a tech to inspect a brand new piano I am considering to buy ?

I realise that the quality of the piano depends on the brand, model and factory of origin.. also conceivable a good dealer would have done some inspections when they received their stock..

I also realise that most piano comes with decade long manufacturers guarantee.. therefore is inspection of new piano by buyers tech really necessary ?

Thanks in advance

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yeah, you should because even among the finer brands of piano the very one you have in mind buying could have some problem however minor that might be.

Mark Mandell www.pianosource.com

T
T2 Offline
T
Booklady, interesting post. I must admit a fundamentally different attitude towards preparation of pianos than you. I feel stronlgy that it is a dealer's responsibility to put the piano in good enough condition for me to evaluate it. If a dealer does not do so and I'm serious about the piano I'll give them a chance to put their house in order. If they won't assume what I view as their responsibility I simply cannot do business with that dealer. I don't know if this is fair or not because I haven't talked to any dealers about this, but it is how I feel.

That issue aside, consider the cost of the search itself. (I actually figure in the value of my own time and the opportunity cost for that time as well.) I submit to you that there is a point of diminishing returns when looking at the economics of buying pianos using your method. If you spend too much money having your own tech prep a bunch of pianos you may be spending more money than you need to.

I was in a similar situation in a piano search in Northern California where I couldn't find well-prepped instruments in many of the brands in my target price range. After examining the cost of having my tech. work on a piano vs. the price of cheap airline tickets I reasoned that I could get on a plane for less money and go on a 'piano safari'.

Maybe your price points vary, but a piano tech. runs maybe $100/hour, and that would have got me prep on one piano.

Alternatively, for $150 I chose to fly round trip Seattle (or L.A.) and see many pianos. Add $24 for a car rental and $6.00 for gas. During that day I played 8 well prepped instruments, a couple of which were breathtakingly beautiful.

Once I made a purchase decision, which I did that day, however, I had an additional expense, shipping a piano back to my locale. Moving charges varied from $250 to $1000 and varied widely in quality. Note that the most expensive movers didn't have the best reputation. The dealer helped me, and it turned out that the people offering the $250 rate focus exclusively on pianos moved across the country and use heated trucks (an issue in winter). Yes, I did have to compromise on delivery time by a few weeks to get that rate.

Bottom line: I hope your search nets you a great piano. Perhaps the info. above might give you a different way to think about the options you have available to you.

Respectfully,

T2

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As a Basic guide for regulation on an upright (vertical, with you having the top door open and looking at the action. Touch a key, there should be direct response between that moment and the hammer moving, else lost motion. Slowly pressing the key, the hammer then travels toward the string, and lets-off about 2mm before touching the string and then goes into check about 10mm away from the string.

For a Grand, it is similar, except the drop of the hammer after let-off, about half that, then into check.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa

http://www.lawsonic.co.za
T
T2 Offline
T
Booklady,

It sounds like we pursued two different approaches to the same fundamental problem, a scarcity of well-prepped instruments and an abundance of poorly prepped ones. I hope you get a good one. Please let us know.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Certainly not a lack of Piano techs who can and do prep and are willing to give their opinion.

Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa

http://www.lawsonic.co.za
T
T2 Offline
T
Congratulations, booklady!! That's great to hear.

I bought a 51" upright by a German Company called Wilhelm Steinberg that had been fitted with an action designed by Darrell Fandrich but made by Renner. I had some free in-home voicing and regulation after delivery that made me happy too. It is still settling a bit but sings beautifully.

T2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission