Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#638663 - 04/30/03 02:19 PM Piano technician survey
DellLaa Offline

Loc: Maryland
I'm currently conducting a case study on a sole proprietorship piano tuning business as the final study project towards attaining my MBA. I'm having trouble finding out how many piano technicians and actual piano manufacturers there are in the United States. I've been to www.ptg.org, but have reservations as to whether they count "everyone" in the profession. Does anyone know if there is a book or site that talks about the history of the profession itself??

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#638664 - 04/30/03 04:15 PM Re: Piano technician survey
Rick Clark Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North County San Diego CA
I do not believe there is a book or site about the history of piano tuning, from a business perspective.

I believe the PTG holds about 1/2 the practicing technicians as members.

Also people drift in and out of the business. And there are a lot of incompetents practicing, whom more competent types would resent being put in the same category with. It is hard to say if such incompetent practitioners are "really" piano tuners or not.

Many tuners are underemployed. Others do it part time, possibly to supplement another small or part time income they have. Some take it up in retirement years to supplement SS. Some report their income, others insist on cash and don't report it. It is actually kind of hard to define who should rightly be called a professional tuner and who shouldn't. As it is, pretty much anyone who wants to can say they are a tuner.

Point is, you chose kind of a "fringe" line of work for your MBA. You may not be ale to dig up the clear details you seek.

As far as manufacturers go, you need to define your terms. What do you mean by "in the United States"? Does that mean the company must be owned American, with offices in the U.S., and build their pianos in the U.S.? What if they do nothing but import foreign made pianos but stick their own name on the piano? What if they make one model in the U.S. but another model is made-to-order by a Japanese company with the American company's name put on? What if they buy low-end Chinese pianos but make major modifications to them in the U.S. and re-brand them? All these things are done, and more. So I think you need to define just what you mean by "a piano manufacturer in the United States". There are only a few that are actually made here.

Regards,

Rick Clark

Piano tuner-technician

#638665 - 04/30/03 04:44 PM Re: Piano technician survey
Brian Lawson, RPT Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Africa
www.masterpianotechnicians.org is another site that has list of piano techs, some who are also members of PTG.

http://www.lawsonic.co.za

#638666 - 05/01/03 02:55 PM Re: Piano technician survey
DellLaa Offline

Loc: Maryland
I appreciate your responses. I agree that the subject matter may be a bit broad, the trade is also a bit archaic, and the information I'm trying to extract can be difficult to locate. The intent of my paper is to study a sole proprietorship and compare it to others of like ilk. The number of existing tuners and manufactures is strictly for background information at this point. I have some study materials and could problem use a little probability math to get close on the number of tuners. Australia and the UK both had this type of information readily available. I had not looked at the manufacturer problem in that manner until you brought it up, Rick. Thanks, Iíll back up and regroup before proceeding there. Iíll check out the masters web site too, Brian, thatís the first Iíve heard of it.
Thanks again,
Dell

#638667 - 05/02/03 01:46 PM Re: Piano technician survey
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
DellLaa,

I will caution you against making the rudimentary mistake of thinking that just because an answer is not apparent or satisfactory on the Web, the answer cannot be found (I know you did not say this, but I am just warning you against that assumption).
As an experienced business and economic researcher, I am 100% confident that you will be able to find an answer to your question you will be able to use for your case study.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census both compile detailed occupational statistics. I'm not sure off the top of my head about the Census Bureau, but the BLS probably has a classification for musical instrument repairers and tuners. OK, so it is a broader classification than piano tuners/technicians, but it is a starting point. Their numbers tend to be very low because they don't seem to count everyone.
Also, the best source for information will probably come from an industry expert. You should call up the associations that you cited, and talk to someone about their numbers. He or she will be able to varify the accuracy of their numbers, while providing a ball park estimate for what the total should be. Oh, and the BLS and Census also have help numbers you can call to talk to people who work with their occupational statistics.

Good luck.

#638668 - 05/06/03 11:00 PM Re: Piano technician survey
JIMBOB Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
You may be able to get some info from Larry Fine's Piano Book. The US Dept of Commerce has info on piano sales between 1988 and 1999. I also remember a report somewhere that had detailed market info. I believe it is out in the forum archives but I am not sure under what topic. Some time back some university students where doing a business project on the industry. If I find it I will post a reply.
Dampp-Chaser System Installer
Certified Pianomation Installer

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
133 registered (ando, Banzai_Ed, AndrewJCW, Almaviva, ajames, 42 invisible), 1427 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156821 Topics
2304264 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need help with a piano purchase
by Freece65
51 minutes 7 seconds ago
Just Tuned a Kawai 5'10" Grand Piano KG-2E
by Paul678
55 minutes 11 seconds ago
Yamaha NU1 or Roland HP508
by francis0423
Today at 09:12 PM
How Much Can I Sell My Kawai KG-3C?
by barryman9000
Today at 07:38 PM
Chord changes to 'Sixty Years On'
by Visalia
Today at 06:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission