Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#638754 - 01/01/09 10:59 PM Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
Dear techs,

If you go to do a repair, regulation or voicing job at a client's home, would you mind if:
  • The client watched you while you worked; and
  • The client asks you to say what you did (not while you are working of course).

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#638755 - 01/01/09 11:16 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
When are you "not working," when at a clients house? I don't stop for too many breaks unless I'm not in a particular hurry. Then I talk too much.
I ask the client if they want a list of all the adjustments I did. The Yamaha I just did took 4 adjustments to bring back into regulation. It's hard to tell them not to watch when you are in their living room.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#638756 - 01/01/09 11:33 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Heheh, thanks Keith. By "working" I mean actually doing something with the piano. But yes I get what you mean. \:\)

Chatty techs are great! I'm the kind of person who asks doctors and dentists to tell me what they are doing during the procedure. Or after, if I've been put under. \:D

#638757 - 01/01/09 11:41 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
I think they said I keep talking even after I go under.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#638758 - 01/01/09 11:48 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

\:D \:D And it could very well be so if they used Dormicum for the anaesthesia.

#638759 - 01/02/09 01:12 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
b3groover Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI
I enjoy it when a client takes an interest in what I'm doing. Especially if they are young. Kids are so used to electronics, seeing something mechanical like a piano is pretty interesting for them.
www.organissimo.org

#638760 - 01/02/09 05:57 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
wayne walker Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Windsor,Nova Scotia Canada
I have considered wearing a t-shirt with this printed on the back

Tunings $90
If you watch $110
If you help $130
If you do your self $150

#638761 - 01/02/09 08:49 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
dschwoyer Offline

Loc: Williamstown,NJ
That is something I can handle better working on a piano than a car.A car requires intense concentration when viewing a scan tool,and working in confined areas, and you don't need a hawk over your shoulder.

I would at least inform the watcher of any possible injury if they are standing right there at the piano,like during string work,and tuning with rusty strings.

#638762 - 01/02/09 08:53 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Some customers do sit and watch (and listen) to me tune. I usually mention how horrible it must be for them. It doesn't really bother me, although sometimes it’s a surprise to turn around and realize someone is there and I didn’t know it. Makes me wonder if I’ve been scratching myself or anything.

#638763 - 01/02/09 09:16 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I don't mind at all, but be aware that if you do watch and ask questions I'll be trying out my new jokes and verbal witticisms on you. I loose audiences all the time like that, so I'm working furiously on timing and content.

I'll answer questions, but I'm careful to watch for eyes glazing over.

David Schwoyer's comment reminded me of something. I try to get clients away from the back of grands when I'm tuning the bass strings. I've had two memorable cases where the strings broke and flew out of the piano with considerable force. 'Not sure what a trip-and-fall lawyer would try with a situation like that, but I'm not eager to find out.
-----

#638764 - 01/02/09 10:53 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
I tell folks that watch my work I will drive them nuts or put them to sleep.

Actually I try to educate on every appointment. THe more understanding a customer has of the dynamic and organic nature a piano the better grasp and appreciation they have of what we do, piano music and the instrument itself. The better they understand the caprices of the piano the easier they are to live with.

#638765 - 01/02/09 12:30 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I heartily second what Sam Casey said!!! \:D

#638766 - 01/02/09 04:25 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I don't mind people watching me at all. We only have so much time scheduled for the appointment so I usually talk a little bit before but, mostly afterward as I do enjoy talking with my customers a great deal. That's half the fun!

I'm very used to being watched from college and school work as well as all of the usual questions that go along with it.

Only one question continually baffles me. It's while I am tuning the piano, someone walks in and says, "oh, are you tuning the piano?" I don't say it but, feel like saying, ummmm, noooo, I'm just staring at it. It tunes itself. Maybe I should sometime. The response might be fun.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#638767 - 01/02/09 04:30 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Or you could say, "No, I'm fixing the air conditioner. This IS the air conditioner, isn't it?"
Richfield Springs, New York

#638768 - 01/02/09 04:45 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Eric.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#638769 - 01/02/09 08:08 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Jim Berna Offline

Loc: Fayette City,PA. 15438
I don not mind people watching and asking questions! I sold pianos and it is very interesting how many people who buy pianos have no idea of how a piano works or is tuned!
The worst case I've had though was a gentleman who decided to tune his own piano and for a tuning hammer used a pair of vice grips! You want to talk about chewed up tuning pins!!
I have taken time in the homes to show piano students how an action works, most piano teachers hyave really no idea of how it works!" No puns intended"! I think technicians should take time to explain to the customers any questions they have, remember, that piano will need serviced again and a happy customer will call you back!!!

Jim Berna
Tuner-Technician

#638770 - 01/02/09 08:13 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Gloo:
Or you could say, "No, I'm fixing the air conditioner. This IS the air conditioner, isn't it?" [/b]
For some reason this tickled the ol' "funny bone".

;\)

If I watch my tech (he doesn't mind) he usually cracks jokes like: "You really want me to tune these black keys? Why? They are just spacers like guitar frets, aren't they?" \:D \:D

#638771 - 01/02/09 08:20 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
pianosxxi Offline

Loc: Southern California
posted by wayne walker

Quote:

Tunings $90
If you watch $110
If you help $130
If you do your self $150
:)

PIANO SOLUTIONS XXI
Exclusive Piano Restoration, Custom Piano Design and Sales
http://www.pianosxxi.com | http://www.custompianodesign.com

#638772 - 01/02/09 08:46 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Berna:
I don not mind people watching and asking questions! I sold pianos and it is very interesting how many people who buy pianos have no idea of how a piano works or is tuned!
The worst case I've had though was a gentleman who decided to tune his own piano and for a tuning hammer used a pair of vice grips! You want to talk about chewed up tuning pins!!
I have taken time in the homes to show piano students how an action works, most piano teachers hyave really no idea of how it works!" No puns intended"! I think technicians should take time to explain to the customers any questions they have, remember, that piano will need serviced again and a happy customer will call you back!!! [/b]
Ah! Couldn't agree more. If only the education was done BEFORE they buy their piano so that they can make the selection and purchase with more confidence!

#638773 - 01/02/09 08:48 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Or you could say, "No, I'm fixing the air conditioner. This IS the air conditioner, isn't it?" [/b]
:D \:D \:D My airconditioners are being serviced today. Note to self: Must remember to keep the aircon techs away from the piano....

#638774 - 01/02/09 10:40 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I love it when they fall asleep and snore while I tune. Then it's time for a power chord ala Pathetique.

#638775 - 01/02/09 10:45 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
 Quote:
Originally posted by wayne walker:

Tunings $90
If you watch $110
If you help $130
If you do your self $150 [/b]
If I have to hear about how much faster, better and cheaper all the tuners up north are, $1,200.

#638776 - 01/04/09 02:09 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Zormpas Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Monterey, Ca
 Quote:
HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!!

I actually try to leave my tech alone while he's tuning, despite as fascinated as I am by the whole thing. He, on the other hand, has other ideas. He talks a blue streak and enjoys discussing pianos with me, so I usually end up leaning against whichever end of the piano he isn't working at the moment and yak with him. I learn a LOT!

Sometimes I can't resist teasing him by telling him that I need to vacuum the carpet, mow the grass, or run the leaf blower! \:D
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

#638777 - 01/04/09 08:35 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

ok, if you wanna watch, go to a watch shop \:\) LOL !!!

#638778 - 01/09/09 05:52 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
delacey-simms Offline

Loc: Kirkbymoorside N.Yorks UK
I thought I would mind people watching or listening when I started out but the truth is as long as you are confident in your own ability it's nice to have an audience. The only time I really feel the pressure of someone looking over my shoulder is when I'm carrying one end of their beloved piano to or from my van!

#638779 - 01/09/09 09:36 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
dschwoyer Offline

Growing up with my parents,every time had my piano tuned,everyone in my household would be in a bad mood.They didn't want to hear the piano for the rest of the day.

#638780 - 01/09/09 08:39 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I don't mind being watched, but I make sure now days that I know what's going on behind me. Quite a few years ago I was tuning an upright, and half noticed that I was hearing slight noises behind me. I noticed the piano had a nice reflective finish on the top hinge, and what I saw in the reflection made me side-step and turn around quickly, but not quickly enough to avoid a glancing full-arm blow in the kidney area from a ten-year-old hoodlum.

It startled me so badly that I'm a little ashamed to admit that I grabbed him by the throat in a firm involuntary reflex. 'Turned out he needed the choke-hold and probably more. The piano owner said that he was a rough kid in the neighborhood who got a kick out of sneaking up on kids and hitting them. The lady's son was part of the venture and got quite a call down from her.

To this day I make SURE I know what's happening behind me!
-----

#638781 - 01/09/09 08:53 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Always check your six!! \:D \:D

#638782 - 01/09/09 09:00 PM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
Digitus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Who would have thought that you'd need rearview mirrors when tuning a piano!

#638783 - 01/10/09 10:42 AM Re: Do you mind being watched and asked what you did?
dschwoyer Offline

How about"Your child hit me,I couldn't help but break the tuning pin/hammer/action.It's going to cost you an extra $$ for the necessary repairs."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
68 registered (AZNpiano, Belen, AndrewAJC, 18 invisible), 1183 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155822 Topics
2288125 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Theoretical tuning sequence
by DoelKees
Today at 01:01 AM
It's will never emit sounds again
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
yamaha finish
by johnfin
Yesterday at 10:21 PM
Advice on best way to structure my practicing...
by MZCT
Yesterday at 09:03 PM
How important are the wheels for you?
by doremi
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission