2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Dear Techs,

During a prepurchase exam of a 1930 Mason AA the tech discovered that some of the hammers were loose on their shanks.

The owner tells me that the piano was "rebuilt" twenty years ago.

The piano had new hammers and strings installed about twenty years ago. Everything else is original. The hammers are not Able hammers.

The piano has not been played much during the past twenty years.

The shanks are all resting directly on the hammer rest felts.

If it is possible for you to form an opinion from the above, may I have an opinion on the quality of the work done?

Many thanks for your opinion.

Regards,
Newstead

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This was not a rebuild. You stated that only new hammers and strings where installed and everything else is original. This means it has the original 75 year old pin block, soundboard etc . Do you know what size tuning pins are in it ? If the shanks are on the hammer rest rail it is a sign the piano needs regulation work. Did your tech check the regulation ?
If the hammers are loose on the shanks and the piano has not been played much it sounds like the job was not done well to start with. What is the condition of the hammer felt ? Are there deep string cuts in it ? This would be a sign of heavy use, poor hammer quality etc. do the strings have rust or corrosion ? All I can say from here is that a properly rebuilt MASON AA is awesome. I just regulated one last week and I have to say it was one of the finest pianos I have worked on yet. You might want to consider buying this instrument at a fair price and getting a quality rebuild job done on it. It sounds like a rebuild candidate. What was done before was a replacment/restringing job and new hammers -definitely not a rebuild.

Certificate in Piano Technology NBSSP
Associate Member PTG
Yamaha & Petrof/Nordiska Training
Dampp-Chaser System Installer
QRS/ Pianomation Service
Certified Piano Disc Technician/Installer
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I was told by Joe Garrett of "G" Piano Works that all the hammers he hung with the high quality hot hide glue came loose. Too brittle. Joe is a fine technician so even the best can get a bad batch of glue or try something different and new for the time. Make sure the glue joint failure wasn't due to climate changes or a spilled drink or watered plant.
Just the weight of the hammers and the door slamming will pack the felts and knuckles down to the rest rail. If it didn't need regulation after 20 years I would be surprised.
The main concern is the condition of the board, bridges, and strings. If the strings are not shiny it could indicate a climate problem that caused the hammers to come loose.
Does the bridge work the guy did look good? If he didn't do any bridge work before restringing then he probably hacked the job. Just restrung and new hammers for the selling points.
The AA has a big wide board and can be lacking in power. Judge the power and sustain by plucking the strings. Use a guitar pick. Lack of power can be caused by poor regulation.
kpiano

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
N
OP Offline
N
kpiano says: Does the bridge work the guy did look good? If he didn't do any bridge work before restringing then he probably hacked the job.

What should I be looking for on the bridge work?
What looks good? What looks bad?

Thanks.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Like I said, IF he did any bridge work. Sounds to me like it was restrung only.

In piano work you look for all the ducks lining up in a row. Equal pin spacing and all the pins look the same. All the notches neat and the same note to note. Step back and look at a piano action with that in mind. All the spacing should be even. Suddenly wippens that are tilted leap to the eye. Hammers that have traveling or alignment problems will appear. Keys that are spaced badly will indicate things like the front bushings are badly worn.

kpiano

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
N
OP Offline
N
Keith, thanks. Your analogy of "ducks in a row" is a good one. I had my action out yesterady and that was exactly what I saw when looking at the overall picture.

Still wish I knew what to look for in the bridge.
I forgot to exam them on the Mason when I was looking at the piano the last time. I'll take a good look when I go back. I know that the strings should look well spaced over the bridges and that there should be no hairline or otherwise cracks in the brige.....anything else?

David thinks I should pass on this one and keep looking.

This is a piano that deserves a good home...I could offer that....and start saving for that new pinblock.

I need guidance in determining what a fair price to offer would be.

The1930 Mason AA is all original except for new "lesser quality" hammers and restringing twenty years ago.

Any thoughts on what that offer should be?

Thanks.
Newstead

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Find a good tech to check it out for you and give an opinion on the condition and price. Chances are there is nothing majorly wrong with it, but it is well worth the price to be certain.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission