2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I realize there are probably a gazillion ways to do a pitch raise, but David Schwoyer's post reminded me of how I used to do them. I did them slowly!

'Not anymore. My aural procedure now is to strip the entire piano, set a quick temperament, pull one string per note through the rest of the scale noting the needed movement, then silent-tuning the unisons for the whole piano using the amount the one string needed to be pulled as a guide. Do a finish tuning, and usually the piano is nicely at pitch and very stable.

It takes some practice, and some of my early attempts crashed spectacularly, but now the whole procedure takes 45 min. or less on a good day. On a bad day ... 46 and 1/2 min. whome

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When doing pitch raises, and I also do this by ear, I usually pull the strings sharp by a few cents. Many times, even on Whitney's the strings settle down to about there they need to be. If you simply pull them to pitch they do fall, not back to where they were, but below where they need to be to do a stable fine tuning.

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow! Silent tuning unisons!

I barely tune them aurally, I can't imagine how is it to tune them silently!

So there is a third way to tune:

1st = by ear, aural
2nd = visual, by eye
3rd = silent, by tact

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am always intrigued with people that talks about cents when tuning aurally instead of beats. Beats are trully heard when tuning aurally. You can not hear cents!

Cents are only visible when tuning with an ETD!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Gadzar, that actually makes cents! laugh

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Jerry Groot RPT:
Except for... May they rest in peace...

[Linked Image]
Or...pieces... smile

PTG Associate Member

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Gadzar:
What!???

In pitch raises, notes fall down as you progress on the scale. How this will help the piano to be more in tune with itself?

With an ETD you can anticipate the fall in pitch thus at the end you are fairly close to the in tune pitches.
When a piano’s pitch is changing while you are tuning it is like trying to hit a moving target. But, if you are also moving, it is easier to hit the target. Like two boys playing catch. If they are both running at the same speed it is easier than if one is running and the other is standing still.

For example, (and I am going to use cents because I use a guitar tuner to evaluate a piano's pitch and sometimes to set C4) a piano is 10 cents flat. I don’t feel a need to do a pitch raise, but will tune C4 2-4 cents sharp. The tenor section is strip muted and stays that way until the end. The temperament is set and the octaves in the tenor are tuned. Then the octaves and unisons are tuned one note at a time going up the scale. As this is done, I will notice that the lower treble is dropping in pitch because of the increased tension of the upper treble. The same thing happens in the bass. But when the tenor unisons are tuned, the pitch in the tenor section drops back to where it belongs and the piano is in tune with itself, and very close to proper pitch. Often the notes around the treble break will need to be touched up, though.

If I do a major pitch raise and the treble is still flat, I will give a string or two of each treble unison a yank without playing the note to get the tension up before fine tuning.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've found that the strongest point on using an ETD is pitch raises. You can calculate how much to overpull the strings in the first pass to be close enough to do a fine tuning in the second pass. And you have no guessing to do.

Unright,

So you too, you use to silently tune unisons! (or pulling strings without hearing at them). How do you do this?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Gadzar:

I mostly use a jerk-style when tuning, anyway. So, I give the pin the jerk I think it deserves. Better a little too much than not enough. It seems the treble will drop in pitch more from not enough than it will rise from too much. Sometimes when I am tuning above pitch, expecting it to drop down, I find that the treble is dropping too much. Then I will give the treble pins a jerk up and go back down a 5th or so and retune. Like all techniques it takes trial and err... uh, practice.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've never tried it. I was taugh to never move a tuning pin without sounding the corresponding string.

I guess this is valid only for beginners, to avoid breaking strings.

OP Offline
Interesting techniques on pitch raising that I have never heard. I will have to experiment with some of these methods.

Regarding original post:
I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me with the Whitney Spinet pitch drop episode. I don't know when I'll see this piano again, but I will let you know what I find out. One thing I did notice is that after the forced air heat stopped blowing, the pitch of the strings came up from 6 cents flat to about 3 cents flat, but I didn't stick around to see what happened after that. I plan on returning on a warmer day.

Learning to Tune.
V
V
Referring back to the original post, even tho it's a Whitney spinet, it shouldn't have dropped like that. I concur that it's probably structural. No one has yet mentioned pinblock separation from the back. Also a plate crack may be developing at the treble strut.

Vince Mrykalo RPT MPT
KU Piano Technician

Science has become the belief in the ignorance of experts - Richard Feynman
N
N
Originally posted by RonTuner:
Going back to your first post...

Forced air heat? Sun moving across the board? A big change of temp, or sunshine could certainly cause some issues - especially if you noticed everything from A0 up to C5 or so moving.

Ron Koval
I have seen even high quality pianos (Steinway B's & D's, Yamaha C7's) move several cents in as little as a minute or two when there is airflow around the piano such as forced hot air or AC. In one case the piano was a good 12' from the FHA floor duct and had a full DC with bottom cover. This was in a recording studio where the HVAC was just maintaining a normal temperature, not changing it. It's easy enough to check for this effect - just monitor A4 using your EDT while the HVAC is cycling on and off.

- Mark

Mark Dierauf, RPT
NH Pianos
Piano technician & rebuilder since 1978
www.nhpianos.com
OP Offline
Originally posted by nhpianos:
Originally posted by RonTuner:
[b] Going back to your first post...

Forced air heat? Sun moving across the board? A big change of temp, or sunshine could certainly cause some issues - especially if you noticed everything from A0 up to C5 or so moving.

Ron Koval
I have seen even high quality pianos (Steinway B's & D's, Yamaha C7's) move several cents in as little as a minute or two when there is airflow around the piano such as forced hot air or AC. In one case the piano was a good 12' from the FHA floor duct and had a full DC with bottom cover. This was in a recording studio where the HVAC was just maintaining a normal temperature, not changing it. It's easy enough to check for this effect - just monitor A4 using your EDT while the HVAC is cycling on and off.

- Mark [/b]
Good Idea Mark. This is what I was considering... monitor the A440 and other notes as the temperature cycles in the room and while I'm there inspect for structural issues.

Learning to Tune.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission