Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#643320 - 01/05/02 03:18 AM New key tops
Shadorunnr Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City
I have a turn of the (last) century Schimmel upright piano in dire need of new key tops. I have found several suppliers and have a fair understanding of how to glue new ones on,(I hope), however the ads mentioned trimming the new tops if they are to big. My question is, what are the odds my new tops will need trimming, and how can I trim them without them looking like a COMPLETE amateur wasted his time and money? (One piece tops with fronts)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#643321 - 01/05/02 07:42 AM Re: New key tops
PNO2NER Offline

Loc: Traverse City, MI
Hi Shadorunnr: The one piece keytop is a good one to use, as the front and top are molded as one. However, the new material is usually about twice the thickness of the original ivories which may pose problems. First, if you remove the old tops and glue the new, you may have some interference when the keys are at rest between the tops and the bottom of the fallboard. The keys may not come back up fully. Typically a precise amount of wood is milled from the top of the keys to compensate for the thicker new material which maintains the original overall height of each key. This can be overcome in several ways. The same applies to the fronts of the keys, if you don't remove the old fronts, and just cover over them, there may be interference with the inside of the key slip (the strip of wood which covers the front of the keys). This can be planed down or shimmed out away from the fronts if needed. In gluing, I've found the best adhesive is contact cement, brushed on the top and front of a clean key, and inside the top and front of the new keytop. Be careful not to get any on the visible surfaces of the new keytop, as it will eat into the surface. After placing the keytop on the key, a momentary clamping pressure such as in a padded vise will further bond the two together. In answer to your question about trimming, it is likely you will have to do some hand filing to trim the edges of the new material back to the dimensions of the wooden surfaces of the key. A good way is to clamp the key in a padded vise with the edge up, and carefully trim the plastic down to the wood. Nicholson makes a special file designed for plastics which has two different cuts and will not load up easily. I buy mine at Home Depot, around $10 but well worth it. Pay special attention to the 90 degree notch on the keys to get them even. Let the angled wood underneath be a guide, so that when you look down the keyboard, the space between the front of each black key and notch of each white key is the same. Large gaps, alternating with small spaces don't look good. As a final step, you may want to do some polishing if you have any scratches or imperfections in the finished job. A good product to use is Meguires plastic polish #10. This is a very fine polish designed for removing cloudiness from convertible top rear windows. Available at auto supply stores. If you have further questions, contact me directly, as I do this work regularly in my shop. Good Luck!

#643322 - 01/05/02 05:11 PM Re: New key tops
Shadorunnr Offline

Thank you for all the info! The last person who fixed the keytops did a lousy job, mixing one and two piece plastic tops with the original ivory. There are even striped plastic keys! The colors range from white to ivory to marble brown. It's time for something new.Thanks again.

#643323 - 01/05/02 05:13 PM Re: New key tops
Shadorunnr Offline

Thank you for all the info! The last person who fixed the keytops did a lousy job, mixing one and two piece plastic tops with the original ivory. There are even striped plastic keys! The colors range from white to ivory to marble brown. It's time for something new.Thanks again.

#643324 - 01/06/02 06:25 PM Re: New key tops
David Burton Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Coxsackie, New York
I really think that a piano like your Schimmel may deserve better and you will probably not be satisfied with your own efforts or the TIME that you spend as well as the money. There are places around the country that do this kind of work for a few hundred dollars. What you get back is a real professional looking and playing keyboard that enhances the value of your piano as well as your playing pleasure. Ask your piano tuner about where to send your keyboard. It usually takes three weeks or so.

#643325 - 01/07/02 11:58 PM Re: New key tops
Littlebit Offline

Loc: CA
I got quoted $200 from two techs for new plastic keys.

Problem is I have ivory and would like to keep them. They are a very good color. I have 10 half front ivory keys off 5 of which I have. I need to get the other 5 replaced with used.
Someone quoted $400 to reglue these 5 and match the other 5 along with bleaching and polishing the entire set.

I don't need the bleach or polish and $400 - $500 seemed high unless they meant they were going to take the rest off since they said the glue on them was probably weak and reattach the whole set. Then I could justify the price.
Only 2 tail ivories are loose to my knowledge but I will hold off on this until I get a tuner to check the piano and see how she holds a tune. Then a little glue and perhaps some plasic fronts for 5 keys.

I agree with the tech here sanding down the keys, all the time and the expense of the material I would pay the $200 and get it done right with no effort and days of work on your part.

#643326 - 01/10/02 11:35 AM Re: New key tops
mikeSF Offline

Loc: san francisco
having replaced the keytops on my piano last year without any training or prior knowledge of how it is done (save for the Reblitz book), i say, if you can get someone to do it for $200, great. otherwise, spend a little time, challenge your patience a bit and go for it.
the hardest part of my project was scraping the old keys off with a sharp knife. the one piece tops are easy to install. i used white bathroom caulk on mine which was easy to work with. I wrapped a large rubber band around each key several times and let them dry overnight. it took a week of evenings in front of the TV, but it was fun and rewarding.
as for filing the egdes and corners, yes you will need to file a bit but just make light strokes and take your time. after filing, use some fine sandpaper along the edge to erase your chatter marks.
if you farm it out, be sure you find a professional who uses a shaping jig especially for this project, otherwise he/she will be doing an amateur job like you.
good luck

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
09/18/14 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
09/18/14 10:29 PM
A Simulation Investigating the Source of Inharmonicity
by PaintedPostDave
09/18/14 10:18 PM
Chrono Trigger piano medley
by Stefo
09/18/14 04:44 PM
need help with deciding between digital and acoustic
by luvboise713
09/18/14 04:16 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (anamnesis, 7notemode, andriy555, A Guy, accordeur, 3times2, 34 invisible), 1122 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157616 Topics
2315138 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission