2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#644524 08/08/06 11:54 PM
J
jam8086 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
On Randy Potter's website, when you click on "Complete Home Study Course" on the left side and go down about 3/4 of the page, it says "Courses for Beginning Students" and "Courses for Current Piano Technicians"...which suggests there are two different courses.

Then under the second topic, it says "While our course is for beginners, it is also for intermediate and advanced technicians. It is the only course designed to take a beginner all the way through taking and passing their PTG Exams, doing concert work - and beyond" making it sound like the course for beginners is also the course for current piano technicians.

But then, it says "Courses for intermediate technicians do not include tools, parts or supplies" which again makes it sound like they are two different courses. However, on the website, I can only find the registration form for the course for beginners.

Is the course for beginners also the course for intermediate technicians simply because it is so thorough, or are there two different courses (one for beginners, and one for intermediate techs).

#644525 08/09/06 12:12 AM
P
P
The courses are one and the same, but there is a price difference. The more expensive price for the "beginner's" course covers the cost of tools. Since intermediate techs should already have most of the tool--and upright action model--necessary to complete the course and be working techs, they are not included for the intermediate course.

Haven't looked at the website, but that's my understanding from past experience.

Promote harmony in the universe...tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
http://dstahlpiano.net/
dstahlpiano@sbcglobal.net
#644526 08/09/06 08:56 AM
Dave is right - there are referrences throughout the course material "for beginners" or "for intermediate students" but the material is the same.

It is my understanding that current tuners can get a lot of help with repair and regulating not to mention the reference materials for when you need them. A good/bad thing in the course is that Randy takes nothing for granted. Even if you come in with some experience, he is not going to automatically assume that you have learned correctly or thoroughly just because you have already been working. This comes from the amount of mediocre(kind) work that is getting done out there....

I think I mentioned in another thread too - Randy recently told me that they are working on their website to offer some features like doing written exams online and also transferring digital audio files for the recorded exams instead of mailing in. But it hasn't happened yet....

Jim

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission