Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#644937 - 01/17/09 06:33 PM Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think this is a question mostly for piano tuners about the pianos they themselves own. Do you do full tunings on your own pianos? How often? Or do you do more frequent 'touch-up' tunings? Is it possible to keep a piano in tune indefinitely by doing touch-ups, or do you spend a full hour or so and tune less often? For those of you who play, how long is the longest you have let a piano you regularly play go without doing a touch-up or a full tuning? Just curious whether tuning-wise the non-tuning musicians are missing out on something only available to those who tune (since you don't have to call, arrange, and pay for tuning).

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#644938 - 01/17/09 08:24 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

It's not possible to keep a piano in tune with touch up tunings. At some point the piano slips beyond touch up when the humidity changes the pitch. I tend to do full tunings twice a year and hardly ever touch up between tunings.

#644939 - 01/17/09 09:31 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Gadzar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mexico City
I think it is not possible to touch up the tuning of a piano.

When I have tried to touch up an unison in my own piano, then I find another bad unison and then I find not only bad unisons but bad octaves, and this goes on, until I decide to tune the hole piano.

I used to tune my piano every month and then I installed a Dampp-Chaser system. I waited a month to have the piano stabilized and I tuned it.

This was more than two years ago, I have not retuned it. It is still in tune, some unisons are not perfect but the piano is playable. I mean I can play it for an hour without being disturbed by the sounds I get from it.

Serving Mexico City and suburbs.

http://www.afinacionpianos.com.mx

#644940 - 01/18/09 12:03 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
charleslang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks a lot for the thorough answers to my question. I didn't know a Dampp-Chaser would have such a significant effect on tuning.

Baldwin Model R (1974), Hardman 5'9" grand (1915), Rieger-Kloss 42.5" vertical

#644941 - 01/18/09 11:41 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Gadzar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

By eliminating the variations of the moisture contents in the sounding board of a piano you eliminate the most important factor that detunes the piano!

#644942 - 01/18/09 06:14 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
As someone who has learned to tune my own piano, I have an opinion and a comment to offer here. I have no direct experience with this, but I have read that concert pianos have the tunings touched up between performances in the same day/evening. I’ve also learned by experience that regardless of tuning stability, unisons can get knocked out slightly with hard, intense playing.

I touch up the tuning on my pianos about every 4 to 6 weeks on average; I do a complete tuning about every three months. This is dependent on how often/hard I play and the humidity fluctuations.

I’ve also learned that the tunings on acoustic pianos can be very sensitive to the slightest changes in temperature and humidity; it may sound a little different from early morning to late evening on the same day. I call this the personality of the piano itself.

As far as it being worth paying a technician to do touch-up tunings verses doing a full tuning, I doubt it. But I see a definite advantage to the occasional touch-up if you want a finely tuned piano the majority of the time.

Of course, this is just my meager .02 \:\)

Rick

#644943 - 01/18/09 07:02 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I put a Dammp-Chaser in a piano and the customer says "can you spend 5 min and touch up the tuning?" A quick check told me most of the unisons were out as were plenty of octaves. Not worth touching up, as it needed a complete tuning. That was 2 years ago, and she still hasn't tuned it.

Now, touchups at concert tunings are different. I give the piano a good hard tuning, after which the artist plays for a few minutes to 3 hours, then I must fix everything that slipped, often as the audience arrives.

#644944 - 01/18/09 11:40 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Gadzar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob:
I put a Dammp-Chaser in a piano...

... That was 2 years ago, and she still hasn't tuned it.[/b]
Maybe the Dampp-Chaser system is so good that it tuned the piano for you and has maintained it in tune until now! \:D

#644945 - 01/20/09 02:18 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Hongzhi Mo Offline

Loc: Shanghai
I own a yamaha G2 (1969) in Shanghai, and plactise at least 90 minutes of Chopin Etudes, and one hour other works each day.

I tune it with tunelab 4.0 and Fujan level, usually I touch-up every 3-4 weeks and had to do complete full tuning while autume changes to winter every year (the piano shift 4-6 cent higher in this process).

Now I choose a more frequent touch-up, like every week or 2 weeks. Weekly touch up with tunelab, it only cost 15minutes, less than 20% strings need to touch up (they all drifting within 1 cent, while others settle still deadly). The result is so good.

But even I do not do that frequently, the piano is still stable. It's becoming a psychologcal issue.

Dr Hongzhi Mo
Lecturer

Architecture Dept., FINE ART COLLEGE
SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY
99 Shang Da Road, 200436
Shanghai, China

#644946 - 02/06/09 05:22 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Mocheol Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Gadzar,
Surely you mean significant moisture variations in the soundboard?

The standard deviations occurring in normal households are not likely to significantly effect tuning as a well designed soundboard should take account of these.

On this point would you care to please quantify or elaborate what percentages and deviation ranges of relative humidities etc you consider to be significant?

#644947 - 02/06/09 07:24 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
David Jenson Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
"On this point would you care to please quantify or elaborate what percentages and deviation ranges of relative humidities etc you consider to be significant?" Mocheol

Gadzar will likely not answer this inquiry. This is a heavily guarded secret among piano professionals. It is passed from Tech to Tech in public parks on tiny pieces of paper that self-destruct after reading. The penalty for revealing this deviation range is so awful that it can't be discussed on a public forum, but I can reveal that it has something to do with forcing violators to listen to selected American Idol contestants singing and playing piano.
-----

#644948 - 02/06/09 08:02 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
 Quote:
Originally posted by David Jenson:

The penalty for revealing this deviation range is so awful that it can't be discussed on a public forum,

[/b]
So also is there a penalty for mentioning that there is[/b] a secret. David, you will be having a visit from the High Inquisitioner!

#644949 - 02/06/09 08:07 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
2000 Post Club Member

OOPS!
-----

#644950 - 02/06/09 08:12 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Recant while there is still time to avoid the “birdcage” torture.

#644951 - 02/06/09 09:30 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
Oh, I'll tell him. I won't notice anymore hate mail than I already get.

Steinways secret is out. They change the moisture content of the board to achieve their proverbial crown of the soundboard and so goes the the tuning. The swelling and shrinking of the board causes unison creep, a disease that only a tuner can fix.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#644952 - 02/06/09 11:24 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Keith:

Breaking the tuner code of silence is one thing, but breaking the Steinway code? Not even recanting will keep you out of the birdcage, my friend.

#644953 - 02/06/09 11:34 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Erus Offline

Loc: Mexico
Fetch...THE COMFY CHAIR!

#644954 - 02/06/09 12:13 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
They're closing GITMO, but a small section will remain open for disclosers of soundboard secrets.
I hear there's an oceanview cell with David's name on it next to the birdcage!! \:D

#644955 - 02/06/09 12:26 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Ah, now we know why GITMO is really being closed. I never could quite swallow that "new way of doing business" nonsense. The High Inquisitioner is keeping the birdcage from prying eyes!

#644956 - 02/06/09 03:21 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Mocheol Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Let me just tell the whole lot of you, there is no secret.
Moisture movement is a normal occurrence.!

Provided the soundboard was originally dried to an acceptable moisture content, I believe to within a range of 8 to 12 % mc, and subsequently varnished,the take up on airborne moisture will be
minimal and certainly insufficient to cause deleterious swelling.

The soundboard will only suffer damage if exposed to alternating damp and very dry conditions over an extended period.
Normal Minor movements will always occur which should make no appreciable difference in a properly designed board.

A bi- annual tuning ought to be sufficient to take account of such changes.

#644957 - 02/06/09 05:00 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
2000 Post Club Member

Jeees! I would open my big mouth.

I'll go quietly to the eternal birdcage torture at the remnants of Gitmo if I must, but I really would prefer waterboarding.

Ah, the agony of disclosing that there is a secret that the secret is a secret!!!

My apologies to Charles Lang. Your original question was a good one. I do a full tuning each time. 'No messing with the small adjustments.
-----

#644958 - 02/06/09 09:46 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Gadzar Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

All I can answer is that a piano gets out of tune evey time wheather changes. Except, of course, if you install a Dampp-Chaser system to keep it in tune. I don´t want to go to the birdcage.

#644959 - 02/06/09 10:00 PM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Within a few days after tuning, every piano begins to drift somewhat. Yes, a Piano Life Saver System (formerly Dampp-Chaser) helps, but if unisons are out, I tune the whole piano.

Just touching up unisons, is a little like applying deodorant to a stinky underarm.

#644960 - 02/07/09 06:42 AM Re: Is it possible to keep a piano in tune just by 'touching up' the tuning now and then?
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I could explain the secret of the "deviation ranges" to anyone really interested, but then I would have to kill them. Hmmm....

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (36251, a-z0-9, alans, ando, ABC Vermonter, 41 invisible), 1451 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156343 Topics
2296264 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-85 closer to a Grand Piano action than any Upright!
by Paul678
Today at 07:22 PM
Do someone have a Sciortino Insta-COILER
by Olek
Today at 06:55 PM
Buying used piano for school district - need advice/cautions
by ChoralScholar
Today at 05:34 PM
Help with a leg!
by igirl
Today at 04:53 PM
Have you had to fire your piano teacher? Why?
by alans
Today at 04:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission