Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#646306 - 04/14/02 01:43 AM Voicing: needling flat side of hammer?
Simon Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
I recently came across a description of a voicing technique involving pushing a single needle into the *flat* side of the hammer. What a surprise! For some reason, in every instance where I've seen or read about a voicing technique I've been given to understand that needling was done to the curved surface of the hammer, even when a single needle tool was used - never into the side of the hammer between the molding and contact surface.

Possibly I mis-read, but I don't think so. Can anyone comment on the viability of such a method? Do you see any particular advantages or conversely, any reasons why this should never be done?

Thanks for any insights!
Simon

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#646307 - 04/14/02 07:08 AM Re: Voicing: needling flat side of hammer?
PNO2NER Offline

Loc: Traverse City, MI
Side needling of piano hammers is but one of many techniques used. There are as many favorite ways to voice as there are technicians, everyone seems to have their own method. The principle of needling remains the same - to open and separate the wool fibers within the hammer to create a better tone. The difference is WHERE to needle, thus the different methods. Then you get into filing, shaping, the use of hardening and softening chemicals and their makeup, combinations of all the above, etc. etc. Its an interesting subject. PNO2NER....

#646308 - 04/14/02 12:02 PM Re: Voicing: needling flat side of hammer?
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
This side needling is a more drastic sort of technique that some techs will use to accomplish more radical results when the more conventional means aren't that effective. I've done it myself on several occasions as the last resort but limit myself to just a few penetrations near the hammer's crown.

Actually I've come to rely more increasingly on a tangential sort of approach(thrusting the needles at a 90 degree angle around the crown and nearby shoulder area)due to the limited efficacy of the tradtional jabbing when the hammers are excessively hard.

Mark Mandell
www.pianosource.com

#646309 - 04/14/02 04:42 PM Re: Voicing: needling flat side of hammer?
Chris W1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Boston
In amature attempts at optimizing sound, I've found one, to three, single side stitches seperate the wool very well. It is recomended by Ari Isaac and Steve Van Natten. Renner does not endorse it, from looking at their web site. Like Rebldr said, anything that achieves the desired result is often attempted.

Reblr, I do the same thing sometimes at the crown where I don't have the needle(s) aiming toward the back of the hammer, but more close to parrallel with the strings.

Either way, I don't believe the hammers are harmed beyond possibly accelerating the time until they become flat faced and in need of shoulder filing. If you are after a piano that sounds great, realize that hammers are a wear item and if properly voiced all the time, they will potentially die sooner. Its all part of maintaining a piano, IMO.

Chris W

#646310 - 04/15/02 03:35 PM Re: Voicing: needling flat side of hammer?
Simon Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Thanks, everyone! Everything that you all have said bodes well for what I *may* attempt to have done with my piano. It has what I perceive to be extremely hard, difficult-to-voice hammers. It has already been voiced once, with positive but ultimately still unsatisfactory results.

Chris: you nailed it! As a matter of fact, I approached Ari Issac to ask for his help with my piano. He will be seeing the piano tonight. I'm feeling nervous. Hopefully I'll ultimately have a positive update to post on the main forum.

#646311 - 04/16/02 12:02 PM Re: Voicing: needling flat side of hammer?
reblder Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sherman Oaks, Calif.
Something else I'd recommend and in fact just yesterday did in an attempt to improve the tone on a rather "anemic" sounding S & S model L from 1987(which wasn't exactly their best year). This along with pounding the hammer crowns with the butt of a screwdriver actually helped to a degree though I REALLY believe in this case new hammers would be needed to make a noticeable improvement.

So this technique involves a single needle approach starting from the bottom of each hammer and working toward the crown with at least ten deep jabs into the shoulders on both sides. It seems to create a "rounder", fuller sort of tone even if it doesn't help the brilliance(as with the L described above).

Mark Mandell
www.pianosource.com

#646312 - 04/21/02 12:07 PM Re: Voicing: needling flat side of hammer?
Larry Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Deep in Cherokee Country
I have retired my voicing needles. I've started using a technique that is far less invasive to the hammers. Take an electronic burn in knife, using the flat tip. Next, take a washrag and wet it, wringing it out to where it is good and wet, but won't drip. Lay the cloth over the hammer, and just touch the hot knife to the shoulder of the hammer. Don't leave the knife on it too long though - the results are quick! What took an hour with a needle takes 5 minutes with this method, the hammers are not harmed, and the results are very uniform (once you get the hang of it, which takes about 3 or 4 hammers) and the results last.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
138 registered (A Guy, accordeur, *windowlicker*, 36251, 42 invisible), 1245 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157167 Topics
2308298 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
08/30/14 06:05 PM
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
08/30/14 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
08/30/14 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
08/30/14 04:24 PM
Recital Piece to go with Fur Elise
by eccp19
08/30/14 03:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission