Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#648528 - 03/03/03 07:02 PM Leslie Speaker and Hammond
.rvaga* Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Do any of you techs work on organs as well as pianos?

I've got a Leslie that seems to have a mind of its own: will work on low speed or high, when it feels like it. Most of the time, the top horns spin about a quarter of a turn, then stop.

Probably an electronic problem I suppose. . . I've gone through all the "low tech" approaches, wiggling wires, beating on this and that, made sure all the moving parts were oiled and moved freely, etc.

Does anyone know, are Leslie speakers still made? Parts available anywhere? They were oh so cool back in my rock years, and there is still something about them that I find captivating (though the Leslie "sound" can be done electronically now).

And I'll bet I'm the only one around, with a Compact-Duo in my garage, made by Farfisa (I can tell you've all stopped breathing in awe). The exact organ used by The Doors, two-manual portable. Waiting for the Smithsonian to call (my wife has pleaded me to take it to the dump, I refuse, it would be criminal). . .

:p :p

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#648529 - 03/05/03 12:57 PM Re: Leslie Speaker and Hammond
Matt16 Offline

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Hi rvaga I think I might be able to help you out a little, I am the head tech at a place called Cantos music foundation we have a collection of over 400 keyboard instruments (larger than the Smithsonian) and probrably have the largest electronic collection in the world I talked to our electronic tech and he said he would need the serial # to determine what is wrong with your Leslie or you can call Hammond Suzukie in Lombard Illinoise # 630 543 0277.

and about your compact duo would it be possible if you could give a little bit more info. does it still have its power supply etc...

Something else that might interst you. I talked to our curator of the electronic instruments and the Doors never used a farfisa majority of the time they used a Gibson and a couple of times Vox. Sorry about that.... \:\(

#648530 - 03/06/03 03:39 PM Re: Leslie Speaker and Hammond
.rvaga* Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon

Hi Matt16,

Thanks for the response. Do you have a web site for Cantos Music? I hijacked a picture above, just so people can see what the history of rock organ was founded upon. . .

Well, I won't let you burst my bubble .
I had a picture of The Doors on my wall as a kid, and there was the "Compact Duo," which is why I went gaga and forced begged pleaded my parents to buy me that exact organ. hmmmmm. Maybe it wasn't The Doors, but an Iron Butterfly poster. Oh well.

But, you're right. I checked around online (I was AMAZED that there was anything at all on the Farfisa organs!!), and found out that Ray Manzarek used the Vox Continental until '68, and used the Gibson G101 on the famous "Light My Fire" segment on the old Ed Sullivan show. He did use the Farfisa Compact Duo on occasion. Of course, he could afford to use anything he wanted back in those days.

Other bands that used this Italian organ (how in the world did a rock organ get born in Italy??) were The Animals, Grateful Dead (late 60's), Iron Butterfly (yes, our first effort was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, whooppeee!), Country Joe, Pink Floyd, and others. And, when the Hammond sound came out, I followed suit with a B-3 (worst mistake I ever made was selling it...).
My "claim to fame" was that James Brown, or rather guys in his band, borrowed two 147 Leslie's from where we practiced, and I never saw the Leslie's again. Ripped off by the best, I guess. Tried to get "justice" with knives. Boy were we young, tough, and stupid! The good 'ol days.

I'll check the serial number on the Leslie. It's actually dear 'ol mom's organ that she just acquired, and I found I still have not lost my touch in screwing up anything electronic.

As for the condition of my Compact-Duo (currently a garage ornament): yes, power supply, reverb (used to make the "explosion" sound by turning it on and off, er. . . special effects). Overall, it's in great shape as far as I know, though there are some cigarette burns and several authentic beer stains.

\:\)

#648531 - 03/06/03 05:33 PM Re: Leslie Speaker and Hammond
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
The horn and base speakers in the old Leslie cabinets (I had a 145 and a 147) were driven by a belt. If the belt is stretched it will behave erraticaly.

It's also possible (although I doubt it) that the tubes are wearing out. If it isn't the rectifier, the amplifier tubes should be replaced in matched sets.

It sounds like Matt may be able to help you (Matt, I'd love to see that collection at Cantos).
You might also want to try the "Organ" page on Piano World. We have some links to some service places. http://www.pianoworld.com/organs.htm

- Frank B.
Piano World
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

#648532 - 03/06/03 06:10 PM Re: Leslie Speaker and Hammond
Matt16 Offline

I would love to give you guys our web address but it is not up and running yet It will evetually be under www.cantos.ca . the belt and the tubes could definatly be the problem, there is also a rubber disc that the horns rotate on the tech here says that it can get compressed and in turn stop the mechanism from turning.

If you want to find out if Iron butterfly used a Farfisa you should ask our electronics tech he just so happens to be there x keyboardist I think he was there 7 or 10 he played from 77 to 83, He has some preety amazing stories. if you would like to e mail me I can give you his number (moffattm@cantos.ca) :p

#648533 - 03/06/03 06:14 PM Re: Leslie Speaker and Hammond
Matt16 Offline

rvaga I almost forgot the reason I had asked what kind of condition your Farfisa was in, we are always looking for donations of great instruments like the onr you have if you are interested Email me... thanks

#648534 - 03/06/03 07:38 PM Re: Leslie Speaker and Hammond
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Matt16:

If you want to find out if Iron butterfly used a Farfisa you should ask our electronics tech he just so happens to be there x keyboardist I think he was there 7 or 10 he played from 77 to 83, He has some preety amazing stories. if you would like to e mail me I can give you his number (moffattm@cantos.ca) :p [/b]
Matt, forgive my ignorance of Canada's geography.
How far is Calgary Alberta from Toronto?
I will be visiting our Toronto office soon, probably next month.

- Frank B.
Piano World
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

#648535 - 03/10/03 07:06 PM Re: Leslie Speaker and Hammond
Matt16 Offline

About a 4 hour flight quite a ways away.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (36251, bennevis, Al LaPorte, 40 invisible), 1507 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153622 Topics
2251627 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
Today at 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission