2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#648842 07/01/05 06:43 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I recently purchased a small studio upright Hyundai Piano for teaching purposes in my studio. It's a little gem and I had it checked out by an professional Piano technician before I bought it.
The only thing that is annoying is that the right pedal squeaks intermittently. Has anyone any suggestions as to what I might spray on it to eliminate this. We've has some horrendous humidity here in Southwestern Ontario, Canada during the past few weeks and I'm wondering if this might be a contributing factor.

Whatever feedback is available would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Oneliner, Ontario, Canada

#648843 07/01/05 10:00 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
DO NOT start spraying anything until you troubleshoot where the noise is coming from. The best way to do this is start at the floor and listen carefully. Remove the bottom panel first and listen as you press the damper pedal down . The squeak could be coming from a number of places such as the pedal pivot pin, the pedal rod, the pedal lever, the pedal mounting bracket, the pedal spring. There also could be a worn rubber or felt bushing where the pedal rod pin connects to the damper bracket on the action. The pedal itself could also be rubbing the mortise sides and top where the pedal comes out of the piano. Sometimes lubricants do not cure squeaks. Some squeaks respond to spray lubricants such as PROTEK wile others need a jelly like lube.
One other idea- sometimes squeaks come from rubbing surfaces such as polyester finish parts rubbing together. In uprights it is also possible that some of the pedal levers are rubbing their neighbors. High humidity can cause parts to swell and rub and cause squeaking

Certificate in Piano Technology NBSSP
Associate Member PTG
Yamaha & Petrof/Nordiska Training
Dampp-Chaser System Installer
QRS/ Pianomation Service
Certified Piano Disc Technician/Installer
#648844 07/02/05 04:25 PM
R
R
I would suggest get the "Pro Tech" back to give it a tune and mention about the sqeaking pedal. Piano tuners regularly have squeaking pedal problems and as JIMBOB said, there are MANY MANY causes for squeaking pedals which can make this type of problem one of the hardest to fix sometimes.
You did not say that the tuner who recommended this piano has tuned your piano? One of the annoying things is with customers who want pianos inspected, but do not want it tuned after it is delivered!!

Robin Stevens ARPT
South Australia

#648845 07/07/05 05:57 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Many thanks guys for your prompt response.

Your advice is well heeded.

Oneliner

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission