2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
My piano dealer recommends leaving the fallboard open all the time, so that air can circulate around the keys. Does this make any sense? Why do I need air circulating around my keys? I would prefer to keep the fallboard closed, so that airborne dust can find its way to the soundboard, where it belongs. I understand that ivory keys are whitened by UV light; that's why they used to put them out in the sun. I know that the little UV light in my music room can't make it to the keys if the soundboard is closed, but this doesn't sound productive either. Any opinions?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You're right, dust belongs on the soundboard... :-)

The only benefit besides UV whitening to leave it open is if you clean the keys with a slightly damp cloth. Real ivory absorbs moisture, and needs to dry out afterwards.

Assuming moss isn't growing anywhere in the same room, go ahead and close the fallboard... and ask the dealer what he or she was thinking of. (Maybe so that wood doesn't get sunbleached, so 20 years from now you can remember what the finish looked like?!?)

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
W
W
Paul, Here are some thoughts: I do not agree that sunlight whitens ivory. I have tuned many older pianos with no fallboard- they are always yellow and deteriorated looking. I have tuned many 70-100 year old pianos with fallboards that have been kept down, and the keys are white or near white. How do I know the fall board has been kept down? Look at the ebonies; look at the wood all around the keys. They will tell.
Sunlight will turn some things white with the addition of bleach or peroxide; The general rule for sunlight on nearly anything however, is to deteriorate, not renew. So, I guess my vote would be to keep it down--would the manufacturers have put it there for any other reason?
Wayne Gregory - Angier,NC

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think putting the keys out in the sun was old-day practice before there was dehumidifier.

Ivory is a hard, smooth, yellowish-white substance composed primarily of dentin that forms the tusks of the elephant.

Sunlight whitens/bleaches ivory. It's chemistry.

Does that mean they will just continue to whiten forever? No, of course not, but it will help to get them as white as they can be.

Alexander Felides
  • Certified Piano Technician
  • North Bennet Street School Graduate
  • Servicing most of NH & MA
  • Tuning, Regulating, Appraisals, Repairs
  • 603-818-6609
  • thepianodoctor@gmail.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lextune is right. In fact, in ivory keytop restorations, they work the keys over with a bleaching solution and then hook up bright UV lights and place them over the keys to whiten them.

Compassion, Love, Strength, Peace, Dignity, Balance, Order

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission