2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#652686 07/15/03 04:34 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
This was in today's LA Times. Thought you might enjoy it.

Even though it is long, I am going to paste the entire thing here because the Times requires people to register on their site in order to read their articles.
Piano Tuner Blues

Those who keep our ivories in key are rarely in sync themselves, especially when debating whether to work digitally or by ear.

By Paul Pringle, Times Staff Writer

A note about piano tuners: They often are not in accord.

Tuners can't agree whether their ranks resonate with talent or reek of the tone-deaf. A professional guild sets the bar for training, but most tuners won't join it.

Many are sharply critical of how piano owners treat their instruments — and their tuners. Others flatly don't care, as long as the customer pays scale.

And nothing stirs more dissonance in the do-re-mi trade than the debate over tuning by ear versus tuning by technology.

The dispute predates the Digital Age — electronic tuners debuted in the 1930s — but has grown louder as software becomes increasingly popular on the job. The Kansas City, Mo.-based Piano Technicians Guild says computers are now used by at least half the 10,000 tuners who service America's 18 million pianos.

"Piano tuners love to argue," said Jim Ogden, 55, a La Cañada Flintridge resident who got into the business nine years ago. "It's just endless."

Cyber-tuning has drawn a line between the likes of Richard Davenport and Ron Elliott, who otherwise have much in common. They occupy the upper range of Los Angeles tuners, with a combined six decades of experience, big-name clients, and steady gigs at recording studios and concert halls.

The similarities stop when they lift the piano lid and go to work.

Davenport's routine is to wrestle a laptop from his gear bag, place it gently on the piano's cast-iron plate, and power up a program that displays a spinning green disc that measures the pitches of the 88 keys. Davenport watches it as he tunes.

Elliott simply tilts his head toward the strings and listens. His tools are sleeved in a handyman's roll pouch. None requires batteries.

"I've always tuned by ear," he said.

Elliott stood over a nine-foot Steinway on the darkened stage of the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. His task was to improve the "feel" of the piano for soloist Richard Goode.

Elliott tugged his tuning hammer — a misnamed wrench — this way and that on the pin of a B-flat string, adjusting it by hair-widths, while pounding the key. The B flat reverberated like a pipe banging in a storm drain, only purer.

"There are a lot of people who use electronic tuners," said Elliott, a soft-spoken 51-year-old with clipped, graying hair. He wore a suit and tie. "Maybe they never really learned to tune by ear." He said no computer can "hear" the subtle tonal differences between two pianos, or along the multi-string unisons within a single instrument.

Elliott also said the gadgets can't "stretch the octaves," making the bass flatter and treble sharper — to suit a performer's taste.

"A machine is very rigid," said the Pasadena resident. "Tuning is creative."

Elliott has tuned the Music Center's pianos for 17 years. He drifted into the craft after studying piano.

It took him an hour to sweeten the Steinway. The piano is tuned before every concert. Household pianos typically are tuned once a year.

"Richard Goode is a very sensitive player," Elliott said as he tinkered with the Steinway's felt hammers. They bounced on the Swedish-steel strings like woodpeckers peppering bark. Elliott jabbed one hammer with a needle — "sugar-coating" it — to render the string less strident.

Goode appeared from the gloom just as Elliott finished. The impish-faced pianist wanted another rehearsal before that night's performance.

Music to His Ears

Elliott hurriedly collected his tools and retreated backstage. After tearing into a Mozart concerto, Goode complimented Elliott. "Ron is one of my favorites," he said. Elliott was visibly pleased.

It's all about the ear, Elliot said later.

"When you start using a machine, you are allowed to become kind of lazy," he added. "You don't really have to pay attention to what you're doing. The machine becomes a crutch."

That view prevails at some prestigious music academies, including the Juilliard School, as well as at Steinway & Sons.

"We don't use electronic tuners here and we don't advise any of our technicians to use them," said Ron Coners, chief concert technician for Steinway in New York. "We feel you do not train your ear well enough because you're relying on the machine."

That's Luddite nonsense, said Davenport. He described gizmos such as Accu-Tuner, and software packages like CyberTuner, as aids for the ear, not substitutes.

"It's just so absurd to say that, because you're using a machine, you're not tuning aurally," he said.

The Brentwood resident ventured into tuning after earning a music degree at Occidental College and teaching junior high school.

He said that electronic tuning cuts wear and tear on the ear, saving it for the finer adjustments, and that his customers appreciate the precision.

"The folks who aren't using it aren't necessarily the best tuners," he said in a deep voice that fits his bearish frame. Davenport, 55, has a geeky enthusiasm for the mathematics of music; algorithms interest him almost as much as rhythms.

On a recent night, he took his laptop to Fox Studios in Century City, where he tunes in a hangar-sized scoring stage. He opened his computer on the rib cage of a 1928 Steinway. The piano sat in a forest of music stands, microphones and guitar racks, above an undergrowth of floor cables.

Davenport focused on the spinning disc, a CyberTuner feature. He was preparing the piano for an episode of "The Simpsons." A small orchestra would record 40 bits of music — cues — to a videotape of the show. Michael Lang would be on the Steinway.

"I just had a broken string — the high A," Davenport said, as he eyed the whirling circle. A clockwise spin meant the new string was sharp, counterclockwise flat.

Davenport nudged the pin with his wrench and punched the key. The disc froze and the screen blushed, signaling that the A was just right.

"I try to keep the piano in the middle," Davenport said. He polished the tuning with his ear, tightening or loosening the odd string in tiny increments. "It's not too bright, not too dead."

Lang, a robust man in a flowered shirt, arrived at the studio shortly before the orchestra warmed up. "I'm spoiled," he said of Davenport's tunings.

Picky Performers

But he also made clear that even the top tuners can't deliver the flawless tones a pianist craves. "I used to sit down and play and hear the imperfections," Lang said. "And I'd remember them and they'd bother me." Davenport tried to smile.

The subject of picky performers — not to mention software-averse tuners — comes up regularly at Davenport's backyard workshop, where he and three colleagues gather once a week to restore pianos. On this afternoon, the workshop discussion became a group gripe about the tuning life, to the accompaniment of a Beethoven violin concerto floating from the stereo.

"You spend all day with people and they never call you back," said Pamella Consoli, 52, a Claremont tuner.

Kayoko Forrest, 44, a Santa Monica resident who learned to tune as a piano saleswoman, complained about dogs in customers' homes that relieved themselves on her leg.

Mark Abbott Stern, 73, who began tuning in Beverly Hills after retiring as an aerospace engineer, lamented that piano owners don't know when to toss inexpensive or dilapidated instruments — especially family heirlooms. (Other tuners tell war stories of finding rats, rotting food and even stashes of cash in the guts of pianos.)

"The emotional attachment to a piano goes way beyond its real value," Stern said. "You can't get them to sound the way you want them to. The keys just ooze down." He splayed his fingers and lowered them slowly.

"It's like arthritis," Davenport said.

"Rigor mortis," Stern said.

Forrest nodded: "If a piano is cheap, it plays like a Mack truck."

The topic of tuner competence popped up. "There are literally clowns in this business," Davenport said.

He and the others pointed out that virtually anyone can become a tuner, and it's easier than ever because of the computer option. The devices and software sell for around $350 to $1,600; a tuning session usually pays $80 to $200.

Tuners can get started with a correspondence course. The more-ambitious novices undergo a multiyear apprenticeship with a veteran tuner.

"We get a lot of music teachers, musicians whose careers didn't quite take off. This is a way to stay in the field," said Barbara Cassaday, executive director of the tuners guild. "But it takes two years of full-time training."

Not necessarily, said Walt Eckstein, 68, a Palmdale tuner and former Assemblies of God pastor who charges $895 for a six-week course — 24 hours total. "It teaches all the basics," he said.

Eckstein said he considers every customer, no matter how fussy, a friend. And he downplayed talk of disharmony in the tuner world.

"I haven't heard much of that," he said.

Stuart Isacoff has heard plenty.

The New Jersey pianist and author published a 2001 book that celebrated the 18th-century introduction of equal temperament, the now-standard tuning system for bringing all 88 tones into harmony.

"People are still attacking me over it," said Isacoff, who also edits Piano Today magazine.

In "Temperament," Isacoff writes that the debate preceding the adoption of the system — in which each tone on the keyboard is equidistant from the ones before and after it — had engaged the minds of Sir Isaac Newton, astronomer Johannes Kepler and mathematician-philosopher Rene Descartes.

When his book hit the shelves, Isacoff came under fire from devotees of Baroque-era tunings or new variations of them, which produce richer sounds on a limited number of tones. They denounce equal temperament as a corrupting compromise.

'Tuning Taliban'

"I decided to write the book after I began learning there were all these battles over tuning," Isacoff said. "Small groups of people think it's evil. I call them the 'Tuning Taliban.' "

Ogden, the La Cañada Flintridge tuner, has a theory on why such tiffs persist.

"When you work by yourself, you're the final, ultimate check," he said. "There are no committee decisions. Piano tuners tend to be loners, nonconformist."

He was tuning a 1908 Wellington upright at the home of a Glendale chemistry teacher. The piano was partially dismantled, its sculpted panels resting on the dining room floor. Ogden, who uses CyberTuner, directed a flashlight at the innards, illuminating rust and dust.

"And you have to be weird," he said, "to keep your head in a piano all day."

You can be disappointed, but you cannot walk away. This fight has just begun. Senator John Edwards
#652687 07/15/03 04:42 PM
J
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by John Andrew:

"Piano tuners love to argue," said Jim Ogden, 55, a La Cañada Flintridge resident who got into the business nine years ago. "It's just endless."

"And you have to be weird," he said, "to keep your head in a piano all day."
ROTFLMAO!

#652688 07/15/03 07:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
An old joke but one that contains much truth about piano tuner relationships:

Three piano tuners were sitting in a bar discussing their piano tuning blues. One got up to go to the restroom. One of the two remaining turned to the other and said, "nice guy, but he can't tune a piano."

Ron

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
#652689 07/15/03 09:26 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
-------------------------------------------------
"When you work by yourself, you're the final, ultimate check," he said. "There are no committee decisions. Piano tuners tend to be loners, nonconformist."----------------------------------

This is the real reason for the propensity towards WIERDNESS in our profession.. Every Piano Tech should be required by law to have a DEVIL'S ADVOCATE who accompanies him or her around to every tuning. This Advocate should have a Post Graduate degree in Psycology with a Major in NAGGING AND BEING A PAIN ION THE ASS. (Perfect pitch would be good too). This and only this has even a chanch at mediating our unrelenting and unremiting progress at shooting ourselves in our feet, while we are trying to remove those feet from our mouths... :p

Maker of the TCHAMMER
www.thomasccobble.com

BUSY IS BETTER THAN BORED
#652690 07/16/03 08:58 AM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I really enjoyed this article, having myself grown up in Los Angeles but developed my career in Madison, WI. I was one of those who "attacked" Isacoff whose book is full of errors and false premises. Particulary ominous is his assertion that Equal Temperament is the "Final Solution". Of all of the articles written by journalists who have no expertise in the subject they are writing about, only their observations, this author seems very fair and balanced. Too bad Isacoff wasn't and still insists he is right.

I enjoy the profession I've been in all these years and wouldn't consider anything else except possibly being a full time musician (from which I migrated to being a full time piano technician as others mentioned in the article have). I've witnessed all the discord among piano technicians that the article points out, particularly the prohibition Steinway has against using ETD's.

Having been strictly an aural tuner for over 20 years before ever trying an ETD, I can confirm that the greatest benefit is the reduction in overall stress that the ETD provides. I half way agree with the aural tuner who says the ETD cannot properly stretch the octaves. The newest ETD, the Verituner may do better than all the rest from the accounts I've heard but that one aside, the only stretch I would ever use is the one I created myself and programmed the ETD to reproduce. That goes for temperament too, and no, Mr. Isacoff, it isn't Equal and it isn't Baroque either.

"Each pitch *unequivocally* equidistant from the other" as Isacoff claims is itself the greatest equivocation of all which undermines the entire premise and credibility of his book. I guess I'll have to write my own someday when I start to slow down a bit. All of the writing I do about tuning and the writing of others I read will provide a firm foundation for it.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
#652691 07/16/03 12:52 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bill Bremmer RPT:
"Each pitch *unequivocally* equidistant from the other" as Isacoff claims is itself the greatest equivocation of
I am not a tuner. Just a tinkerer who had four pianos in the house and two whose destruction would have been no loss and that needed tuning. Even as a novice working with TuneLab Pro, I quickly realized the truth about what you say about that "greatest equivocation". Equidistant, my *ss.

#652692 07/19/03 07:08 PM
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for posting. I really liked that quote you added. In my view, there aren't really any contradictions, there is just a whole lot more to be discovered and learned.

Robert Scott, the inventor of Tunelab has been interested in what I have done and now includes offset figures for the EBVT in his software. If you don't have that information, you can get it easily through my website. Here is a direct link to the appropriate page:

http://www.billbremmer.com/ETunVals.html

You will immediately get a file download pop up. Just hit cancel. I get free hosting so they are trying to get you to buy something. Just insert the values posted on the website to your Tunelab program the same as you are instructed to do for any of the other Historical of non-equal temperaments.

Please let us all know what you think of the way this makes your piano sound.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
#652693 07/21/03 02:21 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
great article. thanks for bringing it to our attention. i copied it and sent it to my tech, who i'm sure will really enjoy it.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission