2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
OP Offline
O
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to start out by saying that I really enjoy this forum, and read the new posts daily. I have been working of refurbishing/refinishing/redoing a 1902 Kurzmann Upright Grand. I have stripped green paint off of it, replaced the bridle straps, cleaned everything several times, done numerous other action repairs, etc... I still have one problem though, the hammers in the middle two octaves are painfully sluggish, they get stuck up by the strings after only one or two hits. I've read this could be caused by bad bridles, but I just replaced those, and the little springs seem to be in okay shape as well. I would appreciate any tips on how I should go about fixing this problem!

Thanks so Much,
Josh Baker (16yr. old technician in training)

A
A
Joshua, could be a lot of things. Maybe there's a technician in your area that would coach you.

Steven
RPT
Try moving the hammers by hand toward the strings. If they fail to return quickley it is most likely tight centres on the butt flange. You can try dabbing proteck on the flange bushings, reaming the flange holes, repinning. If that doesnt make sense, search the web for a diagram of an action.

Richard, the"Piano Guy"
Piano Moving Tuning & Repair
From London ON to Fort Erie ON
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks Richard, I'm heading out to the shop to try that right now. Steven, I do have a local technician that has helped me with questions before, and he's seen and encouraged my with my piano work, I'm nearing the end of this project, so I'm going to have him come tune it, but I'd like the action workable when he comes. I have torn the action apart before, so what richard said makes sense to me, and I can decipher it with the diagrams and reblitz book I have.

Thanks,
Josh

O
OP Offline
O
Okay, I think I've narrowed down the problem to the hammers getting caught on the top of the dampers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix It? Should I file down the bottom of the hammers to give them more clearance?

Thanks,
Josh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would check again. It might be a problem between the hammers and the dampers, but I would check again to make sure. You dont want to take off much felt if you go sanding on the hammers.

Have the dampers been replaced? Have the hammers been changed. If hammers are getting caught on the damper felt....something has been changed to cause this.

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
That is unusual. But you could double check by loosening the set screw on the damper head, and lowering the head a smidgeon. If that solves the sticking hammer problem, but does not affect damping. Thats your answer. If not ...try try again.

Richard, the"Piano Guy"
Piano Moving Tuning & Repair
From London ON to Fort Erie ON
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks, I'll do some experimenting after I get done with school today.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Reminds me of a Ludwig upright I owned. I took the action to the biggest shop around to have the hammers replaced. When I got it back, I had to put a goosneck in the shanks to get the hammers to miss the dampers and hit the strings. I think they used cold hide glue and the hammer line sank. I eventually replaced the hammers and shanks myself and sold it as a "project piano".

Part-time tuner

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission