2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, 3 invisible), 1,334 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SethW Offline OP
OP Offline
S
In addition to classical music, I also enjoy a wide range of other types of instrumental music. I have long been a fan of good film music, for instance. In light of this, I was wondering, what are some of your favorite film scores? The following are some of my favorite film scores or composers in general:
Lawrence of Arabia--In my opinion, Maurice Jarre's powerful score perfectly evokes the mood of the film.
Schindler's List--John William's hauntingly sad violin piece (performed by Itzhak Pearlman)is simply incredible and is a favorite of mine.
Some of the older epic sscores by composers such as Miklos Roza also figure in the top film scores, I would say. As far as more modern film composers go, I would have to say that John Williams music always strikes me as incredible. He is, of course, best known for composing the famous music of films like Jaws and Star Wars (besides the famous opening and the "Imperial March", this film also has lots of other lesser known but incredible pieces in it). But his lesser known works, which include scores such as the one from the movie Amistad, are still good. And, of course, he also composed the theme to the Olympics and the theme to NBC's Nightly News.
The music from those old heroic war movies are also a favorite. The Great Escape is a good example. And of course Ennio Morricone is another composer that has created some incredible scores. There is a lot more scores I enjoy, of course. But lets move onward. So, what are your favorite scores and/or composers.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: SethW ]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hmmmm, tough question to answer. However, I like the theme music at the end of the movie Kindergarten Cop.

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Some of the instrumental tracks from Titanic's soundtrack are pretty good... like Leaving Port and Hymn To The Sea... great music that also accompanies the movie scenes well...

plus there was a lot of classical music in the movie itself, usually played by that string ensemble that played till the very end... I remember hearing things like Blue Danube Waltz and an arrangement of Tchaikovsky's Chant sans paroles Op. 2/3...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I, too, like John Williams' work. His most recent (soundtrack from Harry Potter) is wonderful as well.

But if I were to choose a soundtrack which would qualify as my "Desert Island Disc," it would have to be the soundtrack from "Majjo no Takkyubin" (Kiki's Delivery Service) as I think the music really fits the scenes and I particularly like the beginning and ending songs (the original Japanese ones, not the ones Sydney Forest did for the English dubbed version put out by Disney).

Regards,
Lyn F.
Danny Elfman also writes beautiful film music scores. I especially like his music for Edward Scissorhands and The nightmare before Christmas. And the Beetlejuice theme really rocks.
I wish this music was sold as piano sheetmusic.
Regards, Thea

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoy a lot of film scores, but my desert island film score would be Bernard Hermann's incomparable score to North by Northwest.

Some of my other favorites:

Batman, Danny Elfman

The Day the Earth Stood Still, Bernard Herrmann

Nixon, John Williams

Psycho, Bernard Herrmann

Raider of the Lost Ark, john Williams

Saving Private Ryan, John Williams

Superman the Movie, John Williams

Star Trek the Motion Picture, Jerry Goldsmith

Taxi Driver, Bernard Hermann

Titanic, James Horner

Vertigo, Bernard Herrmann

Just to name a few!

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by ChemicalGrl:
His most recent (soundtrack from Harry Potter) is wonderful as well.

yeah! I'd forgotten about that one...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So many good ones. But one of my very favorites is Jerry Goldsmith's music for the original "Planet of the Apes" -- especially like the music for the hunt scene. Here's an interesing link on it: http://www.moviewave.freeserve.co.uk/titles/planet_apes.html

I didn't care for the music to Harry Potter. I saw it with some friends of mine who are rock musicians, and I was surprised by their complaint about how loud it was !? For my own part, I thought it too heavy-handed and obtrusive.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I just got back from seeing the Harry Potter movie and I must say: Excellent sound track! (For an excellent movie!).

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
J
J
Braveheart, hands down.

Josh
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The Fly (Cronenberg)... If you can ignore the gore, the music is very stirring I think. smile

Dave

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
T
T2 Offline
T
"The Shining", directed by Stanley Kubrick. There were two pieces of classical music used, one of which was Bartok's "Music for Strings, Persucussion and Celeste". (I can't remember the other one.) The Bartok makes me look around for the murderer standing behind me, even when I listen to the music without the movie on CD. I also really like the way that silence was used in this movie. It created as much tension and suspense as the music itself. Nicely done, but not overdone, as so many scores are these days.

D
D
Hank you covered all my Bernard Herrmann favourites there. Other soundtracks I like are:

Cinema Paradiso
Out of Africa
Eyes Wide Shut
Withnail & I (also one of the best films ever made!)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Bullitt
The Big Country...

..still thinking..

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Schindlers list, All the music in that movie is very moving and extremely sad. frown

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I think the sound track from Out of Africa is incredible.

I also like the music from Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve.

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
J
JS Offline
J
I really enjoyed the score to The Red Violin. Corigliano did the music. He also did Altered States.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
2001: A Space Odyssey

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
W
W
I don't know about an absolute favorite, but here are few that haven't been mentioned that I like:

"The Last of the Mohicans" - around 1995. Ok, this might be my favorite.

"How the West was Won" - Not all of it is instrumental, but some of the orchestral stuff is excelent.

"The Alamo" - Dimitri Tiomkin. Great Mexican sounding music.

"Dances with wolves" - What can I say, I like westerns.

"The Sting" - Good rags.

"Thief" - Tangerine Dream, around 1980. This is kind of a hard rock done with synths type of sound.

"The Blues Brothers" - Just to let you I am well rounded.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I can't believe nobody has posted any of the richly scored Merchant-Ivory films! Both Maurice & Room with a view had excellent soundtracks (available on CD w/ the Howard's End soundtrack).

I also have to say that Danny Elfman has made a lot really excellent scores!!!

-Brad laugh

L
L
You guys have already mentioned many of my favorites so I'll just add "The Last Emperor" and "The Man from Snowy River".

Lily

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission