Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#654845 - 11/25/02 07:04 AM About a promising young violinist
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I know, I know this is a piano board. I still like to share an article about this young violinist who seems having something to convey to the music world...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the New York Times:
November 24, 2002

At 22, a Virtuoso Is a Veteran

By JAMES R. OESTREICH

PHILADELPHIA
The violinist Hilary Hahn relates an especially delicious childhood anecdote. It happened when she was 7 or 8 and a veteran of some four years on miniature
versions of her instrument. While at a beach, this miniature version of Ms. Hahn drew a sketch of the wide-open surroundings, including a small plane overhead trailing
a banner, which read, "Come see Hilary Hahn play in Carnegie Hall tonight."

"It was just a pipe dream," she said here one recent rainy morning, while nursing a "medium" cup of tea almost big enough to swim in, at a cafe across Rittenhouse
Square from her apartment. "I didn't really think it would happen."

The sketch remained unfinished, but not the dream. On Tuesday, the day before her 23rd birthday, Ms. Hahn makes her Carnegie recital debut with Natalie Zhu, a
pianist. In fact, Ms. Hahn has already played there several times as a concerto soloist, beginning exactly six years earlier with the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Still, she retains some of the awe she felt as an evidently unspoiled child, when people turned out to hear her. "I remember when I gave my first recital," she said. "I
thought, `Oh, my goodness, people are coming to hear me.' I didn't expect anyone to come, and then the whole hall filled up. Of course, it wasn't a big hall, and some
of the people were my friends and family. There wasn't much ego trip at all, but it was kind of eye-opening that music could be that much of a connector between
people. It seems like there's one discovery like that after another and one new experience after another."

By now the experiences have included performances in many of the great halls and with many of the great orchestras in the world. They have also included five
recordings for Sony Classical, most recently the Mendelssohn Concerto and the Shostakovich First with the Oslo Philharmonic.

Ms. Hahn's first recording, made when she was 17, offered three of Bach's six unaccompanied works for violin: the Second and Third Partitas and the Third Sonata.
An inveterate writer, she also contributed booklet notes. The disc was a smash hit by classical standards. Could the rest of the solo Bach works be far behind? Yes, it
turns out. "I don't have any plans for them at the moment, because I like to still have them ahead of me for a while," Ms. Hahn said, "something to look forward to."

When they come, it will probably be on a different label. Ms. Hahn's contract with Sony expired, and she signed a new one with Deutsche Grammophon. Her first
recording for that label, the Bach concertos with the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra conducted by Jeffrey Kahane, is half made.

In keeping with her independent streak, Ms. Hahn has so far avoided the crowded crossover route, which would seem ready-made for someone so young and
attractive. She prefers to stick to the serious repertory she does best. Her second Deutsche Grammophon disc is to feature the Elgar Concerto.

Ms. Hahn who, if possible, looks younger than her years shows no diva temperament but a healthy self-confidence and a lot of youthful spunk and irreverence.
She likes, for example, to return a reporter's inane questions: "What kind of music do you like to listen to?" "What do you expect to be doing in 20 years." (For the
record, Ms. Hahn likes almost all kinds of music, presumably including the jazz that was blaring from the speakers, and expects to be playing the violin in 20 years.)

In person, she is free with a smile that she generally withholds from the camera. One suspects that like another onetime Philadelphian, the maestro Riccardo Muti, Ms.
Hahn is eager to be taken seriously despite appearances: in his case glamorous; in hers, youthful. Yet to judge from her pure but full and lustrous tone, her agile
technique and her incisive and intelligent interpretations, being taken seriously has seldom been a problem for her.

"She excels in the seriousness of her approach," said the pianist Gary Graffman, who was the director of the Curtis Institute of Music here throughout Ms. Hahn's time
there and still is. "She is very strong-minded, and she knew what she wanted to do from the outset. For special events, people would enourage her to play Paganini or
some other flashy things, but she always wanted to play Bach, and it turned out to be the right thing."

Not that she can't loosen up. The pianist Richard Goode, one of the artistic directors of the Marlboro Festival in Vermont, where Ms. Hahn has worked in recent
years, tells that she and another gifted violinist once prepared a party piece for the birthday of Felix Galimir, a respected older violinist, now dead. The piece consisted
of variations on "Happy Birthday," "full of outrageous virtuoso passages," Mr. Goode said by fax.

"They tossed it off with such style, and so imperturbably," he added, "that we were almost laughing, it was so good."

But Mr. Goode also confirms the dominant impression of Ms. Hahn: "I worked with Hilary on the Brahms G major Sonata not a young person's piece, really. She
played with a touching purity and instinctive good taste. I had a strong sense that she would not force a feeling or play a phrase that didn't come from somewhere
inside herself; it was a kind of honesty and stubbornness I respected."

Born in Lexington, Va., in 1979, Ms. Hahn was raised mostly in Baltimore. She took up the violin shortly before her fourth birthday and entered the elite Curtis
Institute in 1990, at 10. Since the institute requires the presence of a parent in Philadelphia for younger students, her father, a librarian and a journalist, joined her
there. Her mother holds an important position with Baltimore Gas and Electric.

"Now she's head of finance and accounting, so she's a big boss," Ms. Hahn said. "She has the most full-time job of all of us, I think. I at least get some hours during
the day to take a walk."

At 13, Ms. Hahn began playing an 1864 Vuillaume instrument, which she ended up buying from a Russian family in Baltimore. "I've basically grown up on it and with
it, and I'm very attached to it," she said. "I really know it inside out, and also, in a way, it knows me."

At Curtis, Ms. Hahn studied with the legendary Jascha Brodsky, who died in 1997 at 90, and then with Jaime Laredo. She finished the required studies at 16 but
continued to take courses in languages and literature while performing around the world. She finally claimed her degree in 1999.

Ms. Hahn made debuts with the Baltimore Symphony at 10 and with the New York Philharmonic at 14. The circumstances of the Philharmonic engagement carry
particular resonance. Ms. Hahn was a late substitute for an indisposed Midori. Midori, who had made her Philharmonic debut at 10, was then 22, the same age Ms.
Hahn is now, and like many another child prodigy, she appeared to be having difficulty making the transition to mature artist. She had to cancel four months of
concerts because of a digestive disorder, seemingly symptomatic of the difficulty.

So how is Ms. Hahn weathering that transition? ("How are you weathering your transition to old age?" she might well have asked, but her impeccable manners
prevailed.)

"I never felt like a prodigy," she said. "For one thing, the root of the word is rather monstrous, literally. I never really felt like a monster or anything abnormal, because
I always had a lot of different interests. But kids tend to focus on one thing, and for me it was violin. And I was lucky to have good teachers. I didn't really feel that I
was forced into the limelight. I didn't feel like I was two different people, the person who was in school and person who was on the road.

"The hardest transition for a lot of people is being out of school, when suddenly the whole world is open to you. I was lucky, because I was already sort of in the
middle of that, since I was mainly on the road. So it was actually as smooth a transition as you can imagine. Everyone is always making transitions in life. It's hard to
say that there's just one that once you've made it, you're safe. And by the same token, I don't think there's any one transition that will break you. What seems like a
major turning point is actually preceded by a lot of small ones and followed by a lot of small ones. It's a matter of when other people notice the transition."

So it is easy to notice a certain maturity in Ms. Hahn's outlook, whatever may have been there before. But a childlike enthusiasm remains. How else to explain her
Web site (www.hilaryhahn.com), which is still maintained by Sony? Since 1998, she has maintained a journal in the form of "postcards" from the various cities she
visits. In fact, she goes postcards one better and takes her own pictures with a digital camera.

In her own serious way, she seems to be having a lark. "In music you can find your own niche," she said. "You can do what you want to do. There is really no job
description. You have to find your own way, and that's fun."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sincerely wish her the best with her life and music making.

AndrewG

#654846 - 11/25/02 07:38 PM Re: About a promising young violinist
The D's Pianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southwestern Oregon
Wow! Thanks for posting that! I always love to read of prodigies and virtuosos, and this woman seems to have everything in control on top of it. Fascinating.

Ben Ruppert
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."

#654847 - 11/26/02 09:00 PM Re: About a promising young violinist
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
It's remarkable that she wants to be taken seriously and not be looked upon as a mere prodigy. I've never respected any musician who rides on his young age for popularity. I think it's ridiculous.

Anyway, I think she's performed here twice already, but I never managed to catch her concerts...hmmph.

Thanks for posting the article. Was very interesting.

What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, ajames, 36251, 41 invisible), 1955 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156065 Topics
2291766 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
07/22/14 03:53 PM
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
07/22/14 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
07/22/14 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
07/22/14 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
07/22/14 12:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission