Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#654877 - 11/11/01 08:09 PM Stockhausen, Schoenberg, Janacek
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Geez, a few weeks on the road and I miss on all the fun around here!

Anyhow, after reading through the "what is art" stuff over in the "unmusical age" thread, I was reminded of a few links that someone sent to me recently. I thought I'd pass them on for others here who might be interested. One of them covers Schoenberg's music. FWIW, I've liked Schoenberg's music since discovering it as a teenager. I didn't get to start working on it until music school (I couldn't convince a teacher before then that it was worth spending time on). The other link is to something on Janacek' music, one of my top 10 20th century composers, and the last is to an article on Stockhausen/electronic music.

Schoenberg - link: http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Calendar-0!ArticleDetail-45475,00.html

"Schoenberg's time may finally have come. His music has an enormous amount to say to us. When it takes on extramusical themes, they are the big ones—love, madness, murder, good and evil, God, our ties with the past and quest for the modern. When it doesn't deal with such themes, it is abstract music pure as Bach and as emotionally expressive as any ever written."

Janacek - link: http://www.economist.com/books/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=822029

"He was inspired less by abstract musical systems than by human events, personal and political. Few composers have chosen a demonstration as a subject for a piano work, but Janacek's “Sonate, 1-X-1905” was prompted by a street protest in his hometown of Brno, in which Austrian troops killed a worker calling for the establishment of a Czech university. "

Stockhausen - link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/saturday_review/story/0,3605,564112,00.html

The shop is playing boring stuff - Mozart, Beethoven, Bach. You know, tunes. The sales staff say they do have more Stockhausen and whip out a stacked box from under the counter. Why do they keep them here? Two reasons, they say. First, they don't have that many requests for them. Second, when they do put him on show, he tends to get nicked.

#654878 - 03/21/02 06:22 PM Re: Stockhausen, Schoenberg, Janacek
MichaelP Offline

Loc: San Diego
[QUOTE]Originally posted by netizen:
[QB] FWIW, I've liked Schoenberg's music since discovering it as a teenager. I didn't get to start working on it until music school (I couldn't convince a teacher before then that it was worth spending time on). The other link is to something on Janacek' music, one of my top 10 20th century composers, and the last is to an article on Stockhausen/electronic music.

I agree several thousand percent! I can understand why Schoenberg's music is not widely played, since -- let us be honest -- it really does put most people off (although, although, come to think of it, their are parts of "Moses e Aaron" that sound almost like Puccini). But why Janacek is so little known is beyond me.

FWIW, several years ago my wife and I saw a performance of Jenufa at the SF Opera, with two extraordinary singers in the two main roles -- Gabriela Benackova and Leone Rysanek. This is very, very heavy stuff. People in the audience were so moved that they wept unashamedly.

Finally, re Stockhausen: when I was a college boy Stockhausen gave a lecture at our college. Talk about German! Very stiff, very proper in manner, and the substance of what said was so weirdly conceptualized as to be incomprehensible.

What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fulfillment- a story in episodes:
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:44 AM
First time digital piano buyer
by Frames
Yesterday at 10:58 PM
Yamaha U3 - How old is too old?
by Yekul
Yesterday at 09:53 PM
Digital Vs. Acoustic is apples and oranges so far
by harpon
Yesterday at 08:40 PM
the sound of unrestored Erards
by Michael Sayers
Yesterday at 08:34 PM
Who's Online
63 registered (0987654321, Anticlock, AZNpiano, Adypiano, 15 invisible), 1054 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76657 Members
42 Forums
158500 Topics
2327686 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission