2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I am needing some input.
My two daughters have taken violin and viola lessons from a teacher here for several years. This teacher is an extremely talented violinist, plays in our local symphony and has taught for years. Over the years I've observed that some of her teaching methods have changed and I'm beginning to get frustrated. She used to print out wonderful booklets each year for the students which contained the year's calendar, her studio policy and pages for lessons assignments and recording practice times. Last year she didn't do the booklets, which was all right, but by the end of the year she was no longer writing out assignments. This year has been more of the same and my daughters struggle with knowing what in the world they're supposed to practice. They don't remember everything she told them in their lessons. I asked her a few months ago if she could please write things down and she did for a couple lessons, but now it's back to no notes at all.
She never asks if they practiced, and the lessons seem increasingly disorganized and pointless, with very little solid teaching going on.
Is it time to look for a new teacher? We really hate to do that, but I'm not sure what to do.
I'd appreciate input.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Have you told the teacher these things? Sounds like the teacher is distracted or burning out on teaching. I mean, that the teaching quality seems to be declining?

T
T
I have found that a good or bad teacher has no or very little relationship to the ability they possess as a player.

The most important role of a teacher I have always considered is the have the ability to see the problems from the pupils point of view. I have come across brilliant players of top class stature who fail to have this basic teaching ability. As they have never struggled much they can fail to see how and why others find it so difficult.

It is so important for the student to see that the teacher is with them working together as a team.

I would be inclined to agree with "guest1013" above that the teacher has had enough of the profession. It sounds like she has lost her enthusiasm for the job. As a teacher if you loose that your students soon loose the desire to learn. You say she is a player in the local symphony - does she resent the teaching for getting in the way of her performing?

Do yourself and your children a favour and find another teacher who has this vibrancy and enthusiasm. Somebody who takles the job with zest and excitement.

As a teacher I view this promotion of the love of music the basic foundation of the job. Don't worry about moving teachers - it happens all the time and in this case it sounds as if it is an essential thing to do to maintain your childrens love of their music.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers

Trev the composer
C
C
Talk to the teacher as a concerned parent. If something's wrong, she'll understand that it is your duty to find out exactly what.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission