2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have always wanted to play it, So is it a hard instrument to learn??? I dont want to go pro, Just play some simple melodies.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Classical Player:
I have always wanted to play it, So is it a hard instrument to learn???
Yes, it is the hardest instrument to mess around with IMO. If you have not, watch Art of The Violin video and listen to what I. Perlman has to say about the difficulty of mastering the instrument...

M
M
ClassicalPlayer:
Take a look at the thread "Playing Chamber Music" begun on April 10 in "Pianists' Corner." There is quite a lot of back and forth between Nina and me about learning the fiddle.

S
S
The violin truy is a difficult instrument from what I know of it. As some violinist friends of mind would say, in addition to having to mechanically produce the tone, the player has far greater control over the tone and producing a great sound. However, if you get a good teacher and work a couple of years at it, you should be able to play decently.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My youngest son, now 11 years old, has been taking violin lessons for about 3 1/2 years. The greatest difficulty as I can see it is intonation. It is much more difficult to achieve accurate intonation on an instrument like this. Most other instruments, you have a fixed pitch for which each note is set, but for violin, as for any other fretless string instrument you have to know exactly where your finger goes to achieve the exact pitch, and know when to raise and lower the (usually) 3rd and 2nd finger half a tone to suit the key you are in. This is where most of the practice is involved. He's starting to master it now. That, and knowing how much to bow each note to maintain good tone volume are key to success.

Jamie

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
yes.

(I took it up at age 47)

S
S
Yes, it's hard, but it is definitely worth it! When you begin, there's a lot more to coordinate than on the piano. But look at all the 3 year olds that learn... it's nothing that can't be picked up with a good teacher and some practice. Bonus- most teachers are delighted to take a student who can play the piano, because you've already got the note-reading and rythym under control. Go for it!!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Cello is somewhat easier than violin, harder on the back, and (of course) much more expensive.

Much of the battle with stringed instruments is equipment. One person might play a particular violin with much more ease than another person of the same level of accomplishment. Selecting a decent bow is particularly tricky. Fortunately, there are some quite good carbon fibre bows on the market that are reasonably priced.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah I will try and find a teacher later...

I wish I had a violin in my hands right now so I could fool around with it!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just recently I read something interesting about the violin I had never payed attention to.
Violinists hold their instrument with their neck and chin really and not just with the right hand pushing towards the neck, as I thought they did.
The latter is already busy touching the different spots on the strings. The violin is just RESTING on the right hand thumb, and since its center of mass is closer to the base, most of the effort is done by the neck. That must give you cramps, big time.

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
M
M
As you describe it, painful cramps would indeed result. That is because you've got the poor fiddler holding his instrument backwards. The bow is held in the right hand, and the neck of the fiddle in the left hand.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
laugh laugh laugh
OOPS I meant LEFT HAND every single time I said right hand.

I guess that's the problem when you are ambidextrous. You mix up left and right.

"War does not determine who is right; only who is left."
S
S
Actually, "holding" the violin with your "neck" doesn't give one cramps much at all. I use the quotes because it's not really holding, neither does your neck do much. The violin actually rests on your collarbone (if you feel it you'll notice it's quite a good ledge) and is held in place by the weight of your head, not squeezing with your head! Think of putting your head on the violin like a pillow.

M
M
Originally posted by smiles:
Actually, "holding" the violin with your "neck" doesn't give one cramps much at all. I use the quotes because it's not really holding, neither does your neck do much. The violin actually rests on your collarbone (if you feel it you'll notice it's quite a good ledge) and is held in place by the weight of your head, not squeezing with your head! Think of putting your head on the violin like a pillow.
Well, yeah, maybe. I know a lot of fiddlers talk a good game about this; but I also know a lot of players who need neck and shoulder massages after they've played for a few hours.

The problem is magnified for the viola, particularly a large viola. Most of the weight of the instrument is in the neck (the part that sticks out and has pegs and the pretty curlicue at the end), which is way the heck out there. Quite a lot of brute force is required to keep a large viola stationary, and professional violists are notoriously prey to serious musculo-skeletal injury.

J
J
I play the viola and when i started i found it easy to learn. The viola is not the exact same as a violin but the same things to play are necessary.

The hardest things to learn are where to put your fingers. Unlike a piano or a flute, there arnt any keys to press, so if your fingers and a little bit off of where they should be, you'll produce a yucky sound.

You also have to learn how to use the bow. Moving it up and down and how to play with the right pressure for the certain loudness you want.

As for 'holding' the instrument, you really don't. If you have a good shoulder rest (buy a good one) all you really do is stick the instrument in between your shoulder and chin, apply a little pressure so the thing doesn't fall to the ground and break and your set.

Hope this helped a little.

S
S
Joshua

There's a couple things I always wondered.
How do you know where to put your fingers, since there are no metal thingies like on a guitar?
Also, how can you play two different notes together? Do you press on the top two strings at the same time? How does it work?

"Music, even when picturing something that is ugly, must itself remain beautiful."
-- Ludwig van Beethoven
L
L
I've been playing the violin for 4 years, and yes... it is VERY difficult! I'm sort of strange though, because I don't use shoulder support, such as a shoulder rest. Where as it's most common to have shoulder support, a few great violinists don't use shoulder rests. But, the violin is hard, especially shifting, hitting the notes fast enough and at good timing with the bow. It's also hard to get a really strong, beautiful sound with the violin. (such as you can play a score perfectly note-wise, but the beautiful and strong sound isn't there). The guitar in comparison to the violin is much easier, and the piano is easier too, I believe.

As for playing two notes, yes you can. You take the bow, and hit both strings at the same time. So for example, the bow would hit the top two strings, E and A. It's quite easy.

I use a Roland KR-277 Digital Piano and I just love it!
To answer your question of knowing where to press...most beginner violinists (or should I say all those with teachers?) have stickers placed on the fingerboard by the teacher to tell you where you have to press for the notes. In the beginning, it's only 3 positions...I've 4 now. I've re-started learning violin again after I stopped at 13 (still beginning then). It's still difficult to learn!

The violin is hard to learn but very rewarding. I have been playing for around 15 years now. I still have not mastered vibrato.I almost gave up when I was 13 but my mum convinced me to keep it up for at least another year.

On the subject of resting the violin on the collarbone and getting cramps etc. The cramps and need for massage generally come from holding your arms up for so long and the amount of movement both arms (yes you actually move the arm which is moving the fingers) do. Some beginners will get cramps in their left arm but this would generally be because they grip the violin too hard... it really only requires a soft touch.

I dont know how Liberal doesn't use a shoulder rest... it is fine if you are wearing singlets or clothes where your skin is supporting the instrument but I find that most of my clothes make my violin slip off if I dont have a shoulder rest.

In regards to where to put your fingers. Yes it is different from the guitar because there are no frets, but the fingerboard is also a lot smaller .You start out with stickers to show where to put your fingers but after a couple of weeks (if you practise) it becomes a natural position to rest your hand in when you pick up the instrument. One of the hardest things about playing is getting the bow right. If the bow is at the wrong angle, or pulled too slow or fast or on the wrong part of the string it can sound pretty bad. Sometimes the player wont even hear the scratchiness themselves but the listener can hear it at the other end of the violin!
Also on the subject of two notes simultaneously... you can also play three by bowing or plucking the strings together. Naturally you are only able to bow adjacent strings at the same time

Hope this has answered several questions people might have

smile

"Work hard and strive to reach the power of bland"
I'd love to learn the violin. I've been considering buying one and teaching myself, but right now I'm concentrating on improving on piano and trumpet (and guitar and banjo! Oh yes hardcore rock'n'roll)

Badoom boom chic.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission