2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#655205 11/27/02 07:44 AM
A
AndrewG Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
How about Beethoven, friends?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What composer said of the young Beethoven, "Watch out for him. He's going to make a noise in the world!" ?

2. What was his reason for inserting trills at the end of many of his piano compositions? ?

3. How many movements did his Pastoral Symphony have? ?

4. In what ways did the Pastoral Symphony foreshadow Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique? ?

5. How many operas did Beethoven write? ?

6. How many children did Beethoven have? ?

7. What noble family was responsible for some of his "Pathetique" piano sonata? ?

8. What 1950's and 1960's network news broadcast ended with the opening of the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Ninth? ?

9. To whom was his Symphony #3 originally dedicated? ?

10. Beethoven wrote his greatest works in spite of which physical handicap?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
1. What composer said of the young Beethoven, "Watch out for him. He's going to make a noise in the world!" ?
Could be Haydn.

2. What was his reason for inserting trills at the end of many of his piano compositions? ?
To make it more dramatic? I don't know.

3. How many movements did his Pastoral Symphony have? ?
Five.

4. In what ways did the Pastoral Symphony foreshadow Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique? ?
It had a musical programme to each movement. Berlioz adapted this and developped it further.

One.

6. How many children did Beethoven have? ?
None.

7. What noble family was responsible for some of his "Pathetique" piano sonata? ?
I guess that must be the Lichnowsky family. It's dedicated to Carl von Lichnowsky, I think.

8. What 1950's and 1960's network news broadcast ended with the opening of the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Ninth? ?
Don't know. I wasn't around yet to have watched it.

9. To whom was his Symphony #3 originally dedicated? ?
Napoleon Bonaparte.

He was deaf.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by AndrewG:

Mozart

"See?! The Cliffs of Insanity!"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm with Orlando; it's the only one I knew...

Musically,
Benjamin Francis
http://www.myspace.com/benjaminfrancis
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mozart

2. What was his reason for inserting trills at the end of many of his piano compositions?
To embarrass Viennese pianists! He confessed this in a letter to Eleonore von Breuning. Here's an excerpt alluding to the difficult trills:

I should never have written down this kind of piece, had I not already noticed fairly often how some people in Vienna after hearing me extemporize one evening would next day note down several peculiarities of my style and palm them off with pride as their own. Well, as I foresaw that their pieces would soon be published, I resolved to forestall those people. But there was another reason, too; my desire to embarrass those Viennese pianists, some of whom are my sworn enemies. I wanted to revenge myself on them in this way, because I knew beforehand that my variations would here and there be put before the said gentlemen and that they would cut a sorry figure with them.

Source

3. How many movements did his Pastoral Symphony have?

Written in the same key - F major. Echoes of bird song at the end of 2nd movement of the Pastoral Symphony (bar 67 onwards).

Just the one - Fidelio!

6. How many children did Beethoven have?
None

It was dedicated to Lichnowsky wasn't it? I don't think that's the answer to your question though and I haven't been able to find out frown

Don't know, I'm from the UK!

9. To whom was his Symphony #3 originally dedicated?
Napoleon

Deafness

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#8: NBC Nightly News with Chet Huntley and David Brinkley.
"Good night, David" ...... quixotic pause (but not as long as Paul Harvey's) "Good night Chet" Wake up the Timpani guy! Que the Strings! Ba Ba! .. Ba Ba Ba Ba! du.....be dubede dubede dubede dubede "fadein the Clairol commercial" ....."don't be so sad Dave, we'll cream Uncle Walter tomorrow" "oh I can live with that, but if that Eric Severide brat gives me ONE more wedgie on the air I swear hes going to be doing the weather with Uncle Miltie!"

(this really happened, and I've got the VCR tapes to proove it) laugh
Bob

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What was the name of Beethoven's nephew and how did he figure in the composer's death?

How many years did Beethoven give up composing and for what?

Who premiered most of Beethoven's piano concertos?

What forms of chamber music did Beethoven compose more of than anything else?

What were Beethoven's first published compositions, and his last?

How promiscuous was Beethoven?

Which English piano maker shipped Beethoven a piano overland from Trieste to Vienna?

What epithet did Debussy use to describe Beethoven?

Who Was his real Immortal Beloved?

I wish we knew.

Great questions Andrew

David, do you think that semi-famous pianist whom alot of people assumed was Beethovens' out of wedlock son, could really be his? I've got his picture in a piano history book ( The piano by Jeremy Siepmann) and going by paintings of the master, the gentleman does look like him. It kind of skirts the issue by stating that the dates don't quite add up, but then again who trusts the record keeping skills of that time period anyway. Heck, even my great grandmother was not for sure about her birthdate and year.

freddie

"The best thing about being a bachelor is that you can get into bed from either side" - James Dean
X
X
Yes, I believe his name was Anton Rubinstein, but I read once that he was born 3 years after him (I doubt the record keeping was that far off.)

H
H
I have one that will dumb found you guys:

To which musician did Beethoven originally dedicated his kreutzer sonata? That's right, Mr. kreutzer wasn't the original dedicatee. In fact kreutzer did not ever play the sonata in his life-time because he was sore that he was second best!

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally posted by Hanz:

To which musician did Beethoven originally dedicated his kreutzer sonata? That's right, Mr. kreutzer wasn't the original dedicatee. In fact kreutzer did not ever play the sonata in his life-time because he was sore that he was second best!
Wasn't it a violinist friend of his? I do not remember the name of the top of my head though.

G
G
Originally posted by David Burton:
What was the name of Beethoven's nephew and how did he figure in the composer's death?

Karl was the nephew's name. Beethoven was his legal guardian for several years but Karl hated him, and Karl eventually tried - unsuccessfully - to commit suicide in 1826. Beethoven died only a few months later, in 1827.

How many years did Beethoven give up composing and for what?

From 1815-1820, approximately 5 years, Beethoven was engaged in a legal custody battle for his nephew Karl (mentioned above).

Who premiered most of Beethoven's piano concertos?

Carl Czerny.

What forms of chamber music did Beethoven compose more of than anything else?

String Quartets.

What were Beethoven's first published compositions, and his last?

First: 3 Piano Trios, Opus 1
Last: String Quartet in F Major, Opus 135

How promiscuous was Beethoven?

Very - but he always fell in love with upper-class women, who were forbidden to marry him, since he was not a member of the nobility. Therefore, he never married. One should note, however, that he may have fathered a daughter as a result of one of these affairs.

Which English piano maker shipped Beethoven a piano overland from Trieste to Vienna?

Broadwood.

What epithet did Debussy use to describe Beethoven?

That I don't know, but I do know that Debussy certainly hated Beethoven's music.

P
P
Originally posted by CrashTest:
Originally posted by Hanz:

Wasn't it a violinist friend of his? I do not remember the name of the top of my head though.
It was - George Bridgetower. He was an English virtuoso, a mulatto, with a mother who was Polish and a father who was West Indian.

6. How many children did Beethoven have?
None.
Well... according to Thayer's biography, there was a daughter the Countess Josephine Deym (nee Brunsvik) had in 1813, and Thayer wondered if that child was Beethoven's because Josephine's husband wasn't around at the time of the child's conception. The evidence is rather flimsy, and I don't know if the hypothesis has been totally disproved or not.

Who Was his real Immortal Beloved?
I wish we knew.
Well... the evidence suggests that it was Antonie Brentano, according to Maynard Solomon's biography (1977).

pqbd

P
P
Here's a question:

How many siblings did Beethoven have, including those who died in infancy? (It's obviously more than his brothers Carl and Johann.) And in the order of these siblings, where is our friend Ludwig placed? (In other words, was he the oldest? Youngest?)

pqbd

P
P
Edit: double posted, sorry!

pqbd

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pqbd:
[QB] Here's a question:

How many siblings did Beethoven have, including those who died in infancy? (It's obviously more than his brothers Carl and Johann.) And in the order of these siblings, where is our friend Ludwig placed? (In other words, was he the oldest? Youngest?)

He was the second oldest of 7.

that question is too easy.

If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed - Einstein

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission