2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#655370 02/20/04 01:11 AM
netizen Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A couple of threads over in the "Pianist Corner" reminded me of a recent piece in the New Yorker titled "Listen to This: A classical kid learns to love pop—and wonders why he has to make a choice".

A few quotes:

"I hate “classical music”: not the thing but the name. It traps a tenaciously living art in a theme park of the past. It cancels out the possibility that music in the spirit of Beethoven could still be created today. It banishes into limbo the work of thousands of active composers who have to explain to otherwise well-informed people what it is they do for a living. The phrase is a masterpiece of negative publicity, a tour de force of anti-hype. I wish there were another name."

"When I tell people what I do for a living, I see the same look again and again—a flinching sideways glance, as if they were about to be reprimanded for not knowing about C-sharps. After this comes the serene declaration of ignorance. The old culture war is fought and lost before I say a word."

Check it out online Here

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
#655371 02/20/04 05:55 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The thing that I really hate is how nobody even gives classical music a chance. They are all caught up in rap, which isn't even really music at all. I can remember watching a movie on tv with some friends and when it ended, he said that he had to change the channel because the credits had classical music playing which only I would be interested in.
Going back to rap, I have a feeling that many people who listen to it secretly don't even like it. They just do it fit in because rap is the current "thing". I hate rap, and don't pretend not to. I've tried to like it before, but it's never worked. The form of it is hideous, the messages that many of them put across are horrible (though that doesn't apply to all rap that I've heard), and its just plain annoying. I also hate how people just have to have their rap cranked with the bass all the way up. I just feel like taking a shotgun to the speakers of their radios. Urgh!

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
#655372 02/20/04 06:01 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To add onto my post, rap is taking over much more than just classical music and oldies. Even rock is unkown to most younger people now! A few months ago I mentioned Stairway to Heaven to some of the kids that I "kid-sat" over the summer, (ranging from 11 to 14 years in age) and they looked at eachother, and then back to me, and said "what's stairway to heaven?" I then told them that it is a song by Led Zeplin. Again, they looked at eachother, and then back at me, and said "what's led zeplin?" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
#655373 02/20/04 03:53 PM
A
A
Hi jgoo,

Ok, I respect your right not to like rap, but I take issue with the fact that you've basically lumped all rap into one category and made a blanket statement. If someone said, "Bach, Beethoven, it's all the same and I don't think it's music anyway," no doubt you'd find the remark offensive, not to mention oh-so-ignorant. The soaring architecture of Bach and the raw, elemental force of Beethoven are equally genius, but not the same.

Yes, there are those who praise excess and regard women as little more than objects. There are those who spew nothing but anger and violence in their lyrics, and whose music grates on the ear. You could say that last statement for rock as well as rap. smile But I digress.

My point is this: rap, like other genres, is much more varied than the airwaves would have you believe. For every rapper preaching guns and money, you'll find others talking about something as ponderous as the state of our society, or something as light-hearted as getting wild at a party and enjoying every minute of it.

In the end, I'm completely in agreement with the author of the article. Why should we have to pigeonhole ourselves into genres? I like Bjork as much as I like Nappy Roots, Mozart as much as Piazzolla; should their differences matter?

Sorry if this all sounds overly preachy; but I *had* to step on the soapbox. :rolleyes:

cheers,
a

#655374 02/27/04 12:57 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ah yes a perenial topic. More when I get back home next week.

#655375 02/27/04 01:33 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
ooo, netizen! thanks for bringing this article to the attention of the forum.

i stumbled on it myself tonight, while i was reading the new yorker at the gym, and couldn't put the piece down. i really could relate to his childhood experiences of listening to his parents' recordings of bernstein's "music appreciation" series and all the great classic recordings.

his signature childhood piece was the eroica. mine was brahms' first. and my first switchover to "modern" music was at about the same age; my first "alternative" album was "the specials," a ska band from england. i was listening to pere ubu in new york and going to clubs in the late 70s early 80s where this wacky music was being played. i was nodding maniacally while on the elliptical machine while reading this.

so well written, too. a wonderful example of the personal essay. i had no idea the article was available online.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
#655376 02/27/04 11:11 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That was a great article, and Alex Ross turned some very interesting phrases.

Pique, I was also very happy when in 9th grade I was introduced to the L.Bernsteins series of music discussions. I missed some of them, (don't remember the discussion of Eroica) but was very interested in the 5th symphony study. Eroica is one of my favorites too, and I once saw a team of 11 pianists on 6 grand pianos play a transcription of it.

I've included a few of the quotes that I highlighted as I read the piece. Apologies to the band-width managers.

------
The music attracts the reticent fraction of the population. It is an art of grand gestures and vast dimensions that plays to mobs of the quiet and the shy. It is a paradise for passive-aggressives, sublimation addicts, and other relics of the Freudian world. Which may explain why it has a hard time expressing itself in the time of Dr. Phil.
--------

My inability to finish anything, much less anything good, left me with a profound respect for this impossible mode of making a living.
-----

Composition at its most intense is a rebellion against reality. No one except the very young demands new music, and even when we are young the gates of inattention crash down quickly
------

It is a strange American dream, this notion that music can give you a new personality, a new class, even a new race.
------

At an early performance of “Parsifal,” listeners hissed an unmusical vulgarian who yelled out “Bravo!” after the Flower Maidens scene. The troublemaker had reason to feel embarrassed; he had written the opera.
The Wagnerians were taking Wagner more seriously than he took himself—an alarming development.
--------

I start to clap, but the man with the score glares again. One does not applaud in the midst of greatly great great music, even if the composer wants one to! Coughing, squirming, whispering, the crowd visibly suppresses its urge to express pleasure. It's like mass anal retention.
--------

There are more,
Bob

#655377 02/27/04 11:17 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
you missed the line about necrophilia! laugh

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
#655378 02/27/04 02:23 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It was Necrophilia? I read it as Neoconservative. I suppose there is a technical difference.

I also left out his 5-step process from gestation to indigestion, and didn't mention his mention of Wynton Marsalis.

But people can read it for themselves.

Bob

Bob

#655379 03/01/04 11:07 PM
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks netizen. I enjoyed the article very much.

#655380 08/29/04 11:19 PM
S
S
I also find it rather annoying that many of those "rap" lovers tend to immediately associate "classical music" to only belong to "music geeks", and that everyone who listens to "classical music" is obsessed with mozart.

I, myself, just tell people I listen to "Instrumental Music". Of course, being a teen, this isn't exactly great for moving up in social status except in band class.

#655381 09/03/04 04:05 PM
F
F
i play in several orchestra's as well as playing piano, and a few days ago, when i mentioned about the concerts id played and such, i got told that playing a classical concert isnt a real "gig".

Im only 16, so when i mention i listen to classical (used in the widest sense) music, i instantly get branded a "freak". It doesnt bother me personally, but i fail to see how four chord punk, is musically better than orchestral classics that have survived the centuries

#655382 09/03/04 07:24 PM
I'd say I'm pretty lucky, because where I attend school (Hunter College High School, in case any of you were curious) the kids who like 'classical' music aren't a minority. In fact, unlike what was stated in the New Yorker article, kids in Hunter like sometimes very contrasting genres of music, like rock and 'classical.'

Is that true in any other high school?

Two roads diverged in a wood and I-
I took the road less traveled by
And that has made all the difference
#655383 10/26/04 07:11 AM
D
D
Ha...LOL smile Interesting thread!!! smile
Let me share my experience with you... griviences I'm afraid.

Have u ever had the experience with people treating u 'weirdly' just because u play a decent 'classical' instrument?
I hate it when people think of musicians as high and mighty, to be more respected simply because we know music and thus shun away from us. Is it because they really think that we deserve the adoration or that they are being '.......I can't put this to words.....'?
Especially when they percieve us as class conscious( whom they themselves are in the first place ), hi-life beings with no clue about life sufferings, poverty, stress etc.
They do treat us differently, and on several occassions, pushed us away from themselves, knowingly, purposely! I think.
I.e: There was this one particular incident that really piseed me off.
I hate having vivacious cabby drivers talking non-stop all way through the journey...well, anyway. He was complaining to me about how tough life is for him...How unfair God is and the government and this and that. Man! He was one big angry machine! So, as a Christian, I thought it was my duty to enlighten him. I merely suggested to him that God is a fair being. He rains on the roof of the bad, and the roof of the good. That life itself is not eternal, and only whatever investment we had in His Kingdom is eternal. And though the path to righteousness is narrow, but all those who made it through will find riches and not poverty.
Then he snapped at me! 'What is your job?' 'What? A pianist!' "What would you musicians know about life!"
I thought that his statement was really unfair. Are we musicians plain silly or just really 'fortunate' good life beings to you? That we know not about pains and sufferings and are oblivious to things around us?

And I hate it even more when people give u that strange look when u say u teach music. And they go like:" What? Music? U can make ends meet by teaching music? U should have chosen another career... It's silly, How can u survive by doing music...."and blah blah blah ...Well, what do they know anyway?

Then there's the third type, that regards musicians as sages or demi-gods. I find them the most annoying. They speak to u delicately, and try to engage u in 'mediocre' conversations.
Waitress: "What? U want beef stew? Why don't u try this air flown steak. I think you will love it...."
Waitress: "Is the music too noisy?"
Waitress: " Oh, I don't think you like Britney Spears...let me change the song for u..."
Waitress: " Do u know who's Britney Spears?"...(Come on! I merely choosed to study music...I'm not a caveman! U should have seen their 'face of ultimate horror' when I mentioned that Linkin Park is great. )
Waitress: "...Really? U watch TV?..."
Witress: " U know how I wish I was like you... You can play music...that's so clever...Unlike me...I don't even understand music..." ( Come on! Get a life! )
Waitress: Oh no, wait! I know Be-tho-van. He wrote alot of symphonies right? Must be like Hundreds of them! Wow! He's a genius!...( Yeah, right... Hundreds? He only wrote nine. )

Oh Man! Please stop treating us differently. We're not 'caged clowns'...We are perfectly normal human beings. And yes, we eat crap and talk crap and watch crap TV shows just like everyone else.
So who's the freak now? And who's the class conscious?

#655384 03/26/05 08:56 AM
After reading DW_mod's post, I must say that I never viewed the world that way. But perhaps that's because I haven't experienced enough in life yet, for I am only a freshman in high school. However, from what I HAVE experienced, people at school admire my talent. Being musically talented is just like being artistic or athletic - it's another skill in life. No one would criticize you for majoring in music. I realize that other music such as rap is becoming far more popular, but I still believe that a good fraction still enjoys classical music.

#655385 07/14/05 02:12 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The people who dislike classical music just are incapable of understanding it. I myself am 15, but i attend a performing and visual arts school, so everybody listens to classical music.

In my experience, if you want to make someone like classical music, show them a piece thats easy to understand, but sounds really nice. I personally like the Fantasy Impromptu or the third movement of the moonlight sonata to make people listen to.

Houston, Texas
#655386 07/25/05 03:54 PM
My family never listened to classical music, so I didn't even know it existed for years! Now I really like it. I think it should be given more respect.

I think it's kind of like a language, with it's message encoded in sound. Anyone agree?

Remember, I'm pullin for you, we're all in this together
-From a TV Show
#655387 07/25/05 04:09 PM
D
D
("rap music"=oxymoron. It's an art, not music)

"When people hear “classical,” they think “dead.” "
interesting article!

"Life is a thirty-second note. Live it Forte!"
Quote by me,
-DTM-
#655388 07/25/05 04:49 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
It's too bad that people view Classical music as dead because there is a lot more to it than meets the eye. This is typical of the times I guess. Many people today want instant gratification, with little work or with critical thinking. The sad part too is many schools have completely eliminated the art and music programs so no one is exposed to Classical music at an early age. Classical music takes a lot more work to absorb.

We also have to remember too that music, in general, is a reflection of the times when the composers lived. If we look back at Beethoven, and Debussy, for example, we can visualize the time in which they lived. Schubert, like his contemporaries was deep into the Classical style with the very structured and balanced approach to form. If we look at Debussy, you will see the Impressionists, and their paintings as in the works of Monet, Van Gogh and others. Rap is another style of popular music that unfortunately, to me anyway, is an easy way out. It represents the fast pace and instant gratification that many young people want today.

Just my 2-cents,

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#655389 08/19/05 02:10 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I tried to get a friend of mine to listen to a recording of Grieg's Concerto in A Minor the other day and he refused to listen. When i asked him why not he said because he doesn't like it. This intrigued me so i questioned him further. 'Have you actually *heard* any proper classical music?' To which he replied - 'No, i have never listened to it as i know i will hate it so whats the point'. Well, as you can imagine i got very cross at his ignorance. It really p*sses me off when people say they don't like something they have never even tried!!! mad

x

x Caroline x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission