Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#655595 - 06/12/03 11:09 PM Discovering Music
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
No doubt some of you are already aware of it, BBC's "Discovering Music" is a very interesting program that analyzes in some detail classical music. Mention of the program came up in another online forum in which I participate and I thought it might interest folks here.

From the BBC website: "Discovering Music finds out what makes great music great. Each week, our presenters explore the depths of a major classical work, to explain what makes it a masterpiece. The series is unique because of the way it uses specially-recorded examples to take the music apart. Longer examples put brief analyses into context, so that each programme bridges the gap between an analysis and a concert performance of a piece of music. Discovering Music always ties into a complete performance of the piece happening that week on Radio 3. Listeners then have the chance to re-experience the music with different tools for listening and new insights."

You can listen to the program online. The URL for it is: BBC Discovering Music

I also find interesting (and helpful) the program on film/tv/stage music. It too can be heard on line.

BBC Stage and Screen

N.

#655596 - 06/14/03 03:43 AM Re: Discovering Music
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Netizin, I really appreciate your posting this link, I immediately headed for the Bach Goldberg program and found it very instructive.

I'm not very familiar with these variations, though each one I do hear I find quite fascinating. The BBC lecture certainly filled in some gaps and gave a good outline for a better understanding of the entire set.

I've noticed in your previous posts that you often post excellent links, so I figure you might have some suggestions on something I'd like to find.
That would be either a website, or a textbook, or any source whatsoever that would give examples (simple, not the Schenkerian) of the analysis of the chord structures or progressions of some classical pieces.

As a sample of what I'm talking about, I'll try to show what I've come up with on the first section of Air On The G String BWV1068 (part 2 of Orchestral Suite #3)

While he wrote it in D, the arrangements I worked from had been shifted down to C, so this is in C rather than D.
In addition, the time values have been doubled so that the 1/32 notes become 1/16ths. So I think that while the original A section was written in 6 measures, this version uses 12 measures.

Bar 1 Starts in C down 3 to Am, down 3 to F, down 3 to D, down 5 to G. (first 4 bars) Simplest reduction = C to G

Bar 5 (from the G7 ending Bar4) down 3 to Em7, down 5 to A7, down 5 to Dm7, down 5 to G7. (bars 5 through 8) Simplest Reduction = G to E then CircleOf5ths to C

Bar 9 (from the G7 ending Bar 8) down 5 to C, down 3 to Am, then Am7, D7, G, Am7, D, G (2 5 1 2 5 1 in key of G) till end of the first phrase, (bars 9 through 12)

Lack of the music graphics hampers the example, but the patterns of dropping 3rds and the circle of 5ths are pretty obvious and make the piece more understandable to me, as it's like finding the basic outline on which he hangs the piece.
I've done the rest of this piece, (not quite as straightforward as the A section) and am working my way through WTC book II #18 (its written in G#minor, but I dropped it 1/2 step to Gminor so I could get it learned before the NEXT millennium.

There are several sites that offer things similar to this line for jazz standards (ralphpatt.com and songtrellis.com are 2 good ones). I believe there must be books or magazines or websites where dozens of/or scores of scores of the classical have been analyzed somewhat like this, and I'd like to latch onto some of them.

Well, you might or might not be able to help with this, but thanks again for the first link.

Bob

#655597 - 06/14/03 03:09 PM Re: Discovering Music
The D's Pianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southwestern Oregon
netizen, echoing Bob, thank you for postiung this link! I am just finishing up the program on Messiaen's "Quartet for the End of Time", and it's absolutely fantastic! Just the kind of analytical listening that I crave for every once in a while.

Now, I have a question: I had never heard this work before this program, and, after listening to the explanation, I am dying to hear it in its entirety. Anyone have any good suggestions for a recording?

Thank you in advance, and thanks again, netizen!
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."

#655598 - 06/15/03 08:37 AM Re: Discovering Music
Praetorian_AD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Not to be troll-y but I think the first credit should go to jazzyd (David), as he was the one who originally posted up this link a few weeks back.

{eter

#655599 - 06/15/03 02:27 PM Re: Discovering Music
jazzyd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
The cheque is in the post, Peter. ;\)

I have some Radio 4 links that might interest anyone who likes those Discovering Music programmes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/outoftune.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/mozarteffect.shtml

David

#655600 - 06/16/03 09:20 PM Re: Discovering Music
netizen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
All,

Happy to hear your enjoying the BBC program. Sorry for the late reply. I took a road trip over the weekend to Boston to see the outrageously funny Wigfield . Still LMAO...If interested check out the book . Funny stuff ! Sorry to say I didn't see JazzyD's earlier post..I usually surf thru "PianoWorld" a couple of times a week and don't typically follow all the threads. My bad.

Bob,

I do know what you mean and, unfortunately, I don't know of any website that provides what you're seeking. I did a quick search on Google and came up with zip. Mayhaps one of the other regulars knows of something.

The D's Pianist,

There are several fine recordings of the Messiaen quartet. Such a great work! One that's often regarded as the standard by which others are judged is Peter Serkin and company's recording. It's my favorite. Most places like Barnes/Noble and Borders carry it (or there's always Amazon.com ).

N.

What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ando, 47 invisible), 1905 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75564 Members
42 Forums
156229 Topics
2294487 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a Yamaha P35 appropriate for church services?
by Giancarlo Robles
Today at 03:59 PM
Need suggestions for Music Room
by Gatsbee13
Today at 03:39 PM
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission