2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tony C Offline OP
OP Offline
T
What I am looking for is something that allows me compose different lines of music and assign instruments to each line.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Tony, at $350 for academic sales and $450 for private sales, Finale might be a bit pricey, but it will do what you're asking. (Those prices are a couple of years out of date)
Want 6 voices? Create 6 staves, enter your note-line in each staff, then assign the desired Midi instrument to each staff.

I think Sibelius will do the same thing, but I don't work with it enough to be positive.

Cakewalk and BandInABox MIGHT do this, but the first two are the better bets.

Bob

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
My daughter has both Sibelius and Finale. She much prefers Sibelius for full scores. Both have steep learning curves, with Sibelius being, perhaps, a little stepper.

There are also simplified versions of Finale (I think one is called "Allegro").

S
S
I use and love Sibelius. I actually think it is really easy to use. My son uses it too, and his level of music literacy is just OK. He does brilliant things with it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Another vote for Sibelius

B
Baw Offline
B
Does Sibelius read old Finale files? I use a Macintosh with Mac OS X.1.5 which is incompatible with existing Finale versions. Seeing that Finale 2004 will be their first release on OS X and has been delayed many times, I am thinking about giving Sibelius a shot. I have some very old Finale files from the Finale 2.x/3.0 days and would like to know if I can open them with Sibelius 3 (notation only, no MIDI association). Thanks.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
xxx.ETF = Enigma Transportable File

Finale files can be saved in .ETF format and Sibelius will open .EFT formatted files. A lot of the detail is lost, but it still opens in Sibelius intact enough to print the sheet music and do some massaging in Sibelius.

I can't remember it the Sibelius program will save files in the .ETF format, but I don't think it will. (at least not in 2001/2002 editions. (In other words its a one-way street from Fin to Sib.)

ETF may be a bit old hat now though, as a new "generalized music format" from Recordair is making inroads. I've forgotten its name and file extension and have had no personal experience with it. It is part of a system of programs aimed at higher quality "visual scan-in" of info from sheet music directly into the program's memory. Consistently successful scanning ......well that's both off topic and a long way away yet, but YES you can open Finale files in Sibelius if you output them from Finale into a .ETF file instead of a .MUS file.

Finale can accept a MIDI file and transcribe it in a flash. If Sibelius can also translate MIDI files into printed scores (which I assume it can)you could just save your Finale file as a .MID file and then import that .MID file into the Sibelius program as well.

Bob

This is all on IBM compatibles, Windows 9x or so. Of Mac, ich weis nicht.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I was at MacWorld Expo today, which gave me an opportunity to update my copy of SmartScore. It's not the most complete music editing package out there, but it is definitely the best music OCR application I've seen. I've used it to clean up some poorly put-together copies of Henry Cowell's music, and although it would be unreasonable to expect it to get everything, it makes a good start.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with music OCR, it takes a scan of a musical score, and converts it to editable music, in the same way that regular OCR converts a scan to editable text. It also has MIDI playback capability, so that you can listen to what you are editing for mistakes. As OCR is not perfect, that is important. I think of this as a music editing application, not so much music composing, though. You can compose with it, however, and it might even be able to read music from your henscratches if your handwriting is neat enough.

Web page: SmartScore

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I use performer for midi composition.

I never tried it, but Mark of the Unicorn had something called FreeStyle, which was good at interpreting timing and properly scoring music on the fly.

Anyone have experience with this?

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
I use Finale 2004, and I got the academic version for about $250. I have used Sibelius, and for me, Finale is more efficient with its smart entry and generally can do a little more than Sibelius. The interface also appeals to me more.

I have used Finale for small scores, like piano, and for larger string quartet and orchestral compositions as well. It is a little more cumbersome with a large score because you have so much to work with and move around, but after some experience, Finale works great.

Shant, from my experience and from the general consensus, Finale has a steeper learning curve than Sibelius, and not vice versa.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by CrashTest:
I have used Finale for small scores, like piano, and for larger string quartet and orchestral compositions as well. It is a little more cumbersome with a large score because you have so much to work with and move around, but after some experience, Finale works great.
Did they fix the issue with layers? Meaning, when you would have multiple lines on on staff (say two flute parts), you would have to set up two different layers so you could seperate the note stem directions.

The problem with the old version of finale I have is there is nothing that marks which layer you are currently on - making for some highly confusing situations when you are working on a long score, and you have to seperate out the parts later.

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
Yes. Different layers are now displayed in different colors.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have Finale 2002 and it has 4 different colors for its layers as well.

Crash, you were using a version before 2004 I believe. Which version was it and what improvements do you like most?

Is the scanning (from hardcopy score to Finale file) any better, or is that something you even use very much?

I think they changed the SpeedyInput a little, but I don't know the details.

Bob

D
D
I have PrintMusic 2001 and it is kinda old, but it does a lot of stuff, i've got a few problems with writing layers, and it is basicly impossible to write a drum score, but everything else is easy.

--DR LO

P
P
Tony C's question is a bit vague to me. Does he want to compose and to be able to print the music out? Or does he want to compose and sequence so that it comes out on the sound card (usually via MIDI) the way he wants it to sound? Or is it both? For the former, if I want to print out professional-looking sheet music, I use Finale 2003. For the latter, if I want my computer to be my orchestra and play any of my compositions, I use Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. The Cakewalk is old, I know, but I don't need any of the features that Sonar has.

And RKVS1, I've seen academic versions of Finale go as low as $209. And this is the full-featured version, not Allegro or PrintMusic. See www.needsoftware.com .

pqbd

www.suprnova.org
they have it all for free

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sibelius is by far the best in my opinion. smile

"A print of the score has everything you need to know about the music, except the essential."
S
S
I'd go with Sibeleus. It lets you do both of those things but doesn't cost heaps.

A
A
Geniesoft Overture is a very very powerful software!
I don't understand why it is so unpopular!
It is totally free!!!
Try it!
download overture

I use Finale NotePad. It's free and you can download it from the internet. If you search for it in google, you're bound to find it easily.

I need help with composition. If you have Finale NotePad installed, please ask me to send the file somehow and rate it. Or send an Adobe Reader copy of the music.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission