2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I would like to get hold of a really good jazz piano CD, but dont know where to start....any recommendations?

I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language.

Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
K
K
Mmm ... what are you looking for? Just solo piano or piano with other instruments? I like Keith Jarrett - "The melody at night, with you".
Also any of the trio recordings by Brad Mehldau are really good. Herbie Han**** and Chich Corea are also great. There's so much out there...

KN

Be yourself - no more, no less.
My Piano Links Page
My Piano Blog
J
OP Offline
J
Hmmm, I dont know really .... I wonder if there are any good compilation CD's so I can get a broad taste of many artists?

I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language.

Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Piano jazz artists Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea are fabulous, but can be a bit unaccessible to those who haven't developed a "jazz ear," so to speak. The jazz genre is broad and deep, so I agree that you probably want to get a compilation of some sort to sample some of the different styles and flavors and artists of jazz. I'm passionate about jazz myself but maybe too close to it to advise you about good introductory material at the moment. I'll look at my collection at home and see it I can come up with some suggestions.

Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi again Karen,

You might start by browsing a record company web site that specializes in jazz, such as Verve

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/verve/default.asp

There should be some compilation discs there.

Try listening to some samples from the site and see what appeals to you.

If you're interested in jazz piano, you may recognize names like Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Vince Guaraldi (best known for his Charlie Brown TV cartoon soundtrack work), Marion McPartland. These pianists are generally enjoyable to listen to even for those folks who aren't into jazz.

Enjoy!

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Add Art Tatum and Billy Taylor to your list of listening. Also, the master of understatement, Thelonious Monk... Essential!

Dave

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Agree that Thelonious Monk is essential, but I suggest tackling him after warming up to jazz a bit.

K
K
Karen -

All the suggestions have been good, but I would single out Bill Evans for someone just entering this world. He is the epitome of style, sophistication, swing and soul. He himself owes a lot to Teddy Wilson, another giant that you must listen to.

Beyond that, everyone loves Oscar Peterson, and if you want someone a bit different, meditative, try Ahmad Jamal. Amazing pianist. Of course Herbie Hancock is a consummate master, and along with McCoy Tyner particpated in some of the greatest jazz groups to walk the face of the earth!

If you think you'd be into something a little more off the beaten path, check out Paul Bley.

If you like it *really* intense, listen to Cecil Taylor! :-)

Ken
Ed Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kdurling:
Karen -

If you like it *really* intense, listen to Cecil Taylor! :-)
Maybe after Thelonious Monk. smile

K
K
...really good jazz piano CD - Karen

I think she is after the actual name of a CD.

As Ed and Ken mentioned, Oscar Peterson is extremely gifted and prodigious with dozens of CDs to choose from.

For someone new to purchasing Jazz CDs, you might enjoy Oscar Peterson's "We Get Requests" with the late Ray Brown(b) in top form. This CD is not too "far out" and definitively shows what Jazz piano standards are all about.

If you dig Jazz visit
http://www.apassion4jazz.net
L
L
Hi, All:

Jazzyd: Thelonious Monk is a master of understatement? Now, I've loved the man since I was a child, and "Mysterioso" was the first jazz album I bought for myself, instead of pirating my parents' collection. I am having a hard time getting "stride" and "subtle" into the same sentence, when it comes to Monk. Wildly innovative, brooding, playful, and prodigious fit more easily, at least for me. But I'm always up for some educating on why others are hearing what I am not. Would you say more about what you mean by understatement?

And, Ken: It's good that you offer something of a qualification in your suggestion of Cecil Taylor. A friend of mine from college teases me that when he tried to introduce me to Cecil Taylor, that I ran from the house screaming. I have no recollection of this, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen! In any event, Cecil might be a hard go, especially the first time around.

One contempary pianist, not as widely known, but innovative and lyrical, is Fred Hersch. One of his recordings that I especially like is "PassionFlower," a compilation of Billy Strayhorne tunes. Another is the gorgeously evocative interpretation of classic Bill Evans pieces: "Evanessence."

Lucy

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission