Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#655909 - 12/04/07 02:20 PM Gulbransen Player 1928
rtgentry Offline

Loc: Pleasanton
Hello everyone. I am brand new here. I just came across a 1928 Gulbransen player piano. Its got alot of problems. The backer tubes and brittle, the bellows are blown I think. There are many dead keys and hammers, loose wires ect.

I am thinking of getting it at the least, able to be played and sounding good. Then I would like to see if the player can be fixed.

I live near San Antonio Texas . Any suggestions?

It also came with a roll that looks like a stamped autograph and date of song is 1918. I dont know if that is the date of the roll though.

#655910 - 12/06/07 07:57 PM Re: Gulbransen Player 1928
Greg Seagraves Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, GA
What you have described is what we call an "unrestored player piano". Restoring the piano mechanism only can be a very involved project now because father time has really taken its toll on players. It's probably 90 years old and from what you described, nothing has ever been done to it.
The player can be restored. Gulbransen made 2 types of player mechanisms. one is a fairly routine rebuilding project. The other is a little on the nightmarish side We have done gulbransens as well as many other types of players. One thing I know based on your description, there is no one thing that is keeping the piano or player from working. Don't know if this was any help to you. contact us at inzerpianos@charter,net

#655911 - 12/12/07 01:52 PM Re: Gulbransen Player 1928
Tom Tuner Offline

Loc: Bainbridge, OH
At this late date any vintage player piano in original condition will require a complete rebuilding to work at all! A Gulbransen 'glued-together stack' would probably not be a good candidate for your first player job as putting one back together requires some deftness with hot hide glue. Properly repaired they play very well, but botched they work poorly if at all.

#655912 - 09/11/08 02:03 PM Re: Gulbransen Player 1928
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
What sort of value is a good condition player piano worth? Are they worth reconditioning ? are they rare in the USA. I have heard of one in England that is very bad condition.Thanks
swingal.

#655913 - 09/12/08 10:54 AM Re: Gulbransen Player 1928
Greg Seagraves Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, GA
As far as unrestored players being rare, yes they are however supply and demand determines the value of everything. Every week we have someone wanting to give us one for free. Most we turn down because of their rough condition. Now as to the value of a restored player piano I will tell you the same thing that I tell customers that are thinking about having their player piano rebuilt. We charge between $15,000-22,000 for restorations depending on what is done. For instance some people are happy with the way the original finish looks and don't want it refinished. Therefore the price is lower. There are some things that can be left off in the restoration process that do not effect the quality of the finished instrument.
Is it worth it -- is another question we are asked a lot. our answer is--if you want a restored player piano it is.
What can I sell it for? -- our answer is: Like it sits (unrestored) you may get a maximum of $400.00. once you spend $20,000 on it you might be able to get $400.00 for it. There are not that many people looking to buy a restored player piano. If you want an investment, call your stock broker. PIANOS ARE NOT AN INVESTMENT! If you want a player piano that will last for years of enjoyment then have it restored.
But xxxxx said they would restore it for $4000.00 Our answer: then let xxxx restore it. In the piano business the word restored is a very loosly used term. The deffinition of 'restored' depends on who you ar talking to. There is not a textbook defination of restored. To some blowing the dust out is restored.

#655914 - 09/14/08 02:07 AM Re: Gulbransen Player 1928
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Thanks for your expert advice. I'm sure the points you explain are completely wise. I just have a sentimental feeling for such an instrument. I hate to see a musical instrument destroyed. But I understand your advice. The only problem is the shipping of such articles overseas. The matter of moving pianos in ones own country is vastly better than overseas.

Thanks and kind regards,

Alan (swingal)

#655915 - 02/15/09 06:17 PM Re: Gulbransen Player 1928
rossco309 Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
HI, I have a 1928 Gulbransen Player Piano as well. I live in Sydney Australia. I inherited it from my grandfather when he died about 20 years ago. I borrowed a book from my local library "Rebuilding the Player Piano" and replaced all the small vaccuum tubes to each note, and also replaced all the larger vacuum tubes that I could reach without taking the bellows out. It is still working fine and I have about 120 rolls, some from the 30's & 40's and some more recent ones. If you are a handy man it may be worth having a go at it yourself without spending alot of money. All the best.

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Vertegrand pressure bar loosening
by Chris Leslie
09/30/14 03:47 AM
The Godfather movie theme
by Danijelcro
09/30/14 02:30 AM
taking lessons on a very heavy grand. is it time to upgrade?
by littlebirdblue
09/30/14 02:28 AM
Who's Online
70 registered (Alux, bennevis, aesop, Al LaPorte, beeboss, 12 invisible), 1059 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76370 Members
42 Forums
157878 Topics
2318693 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission