2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I found this gorgeous animation to a 1930's Frank Milne player piano recording of 'Butterflies In The Rain'. Look out for when the butterfly enters the piano's mechanism!

I guess there's a way to embed the youtube video here but here's the link:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lVXmtckavDQ

Enjoy!! ~Hazel
http:hazelquinn.bravejournal.com

It is a very catchy tune and the animation in the video is very good. Frank Milne headed up the popular music recording departments of Duo-Art and Ampico - the two leading high-end reproducing player piano systems. "Butterflies in the Rain" was recorded in 1932 for both the Ampico reproducing player system as well as the Duo-Art system which were both under the Aeolian/American corporate roof by '32. I've been collecting rolls for both systems (I have two reproducing grands) for years, and haven't found a copy of this roll for either format. - still looking though.

OP Offline
You have 2 reproducing grands?!?!?!?!?!
{Faint} It's my DREAM to have something lke that!! Thanks for all the info. To think it was recorded so far back and can now sound so good today and inspire other artist(e)s. Since posting this I found that one of the technicians on this animation, Mark Fontana, is a member of this Forum!

D
D
Hello Hazel
I'm not sure whether to thank you or curse you for posting that link!! I must have watched it half a dozen times a day in the last week. I have spent far too much time trawling the net trying to find any other reference to it, any music, or any roll midi to download. I have about 6500 roll midis on my PC and I swear I have gone through them all trying to find it. I have given myself headaches attempting to play the thing by ear, without much success.
Like Turrin150, I shall keep searching.
Regards
David

OP Offline
...David, we aim to please...or drive you crazy ;-)...I presume that's English Doncaster you're from (can't trust these darn Americans pinching our names). I'm in Northumberland.
You can get your own back as I'm salivating over all those roll files you have...

SO glad that others love it and I'm not the only 'lunatic'.
~Hazel
www.hazelquinn.com

D
D
Hazel
Today I sent THAT link to a friend of mine who has a daughter just coming up to 4. She has spent the best part of the day dancing round to it in a pair of home made wings!! Mum is now tearing her hair out and threatening never to speak to me again.
By the way, it is Doncaster UK and I can assure you that you're not the only lunatic. I dread growing up!!
David

OP Offline
...that's as it should be....

My friends DREAD WHO I am leaving my piano and music and memorabilia to - "PLEEEEASE, don't love us enough to leave us your treasures!"

pianos-infancy-love & joy: what could be better?

~Hazel
http:thehazeyq.bravejournal.com

M
M
I'm so glad people are still enjoying this little animated film over ten years after it was made. It has definitely found a new life on YouTube.

Here's a MIDI file of the full piano roll (Ampico jumbo roll 100845, song 2):

You can play this using Windows Media Player, Quicktime, or any modern electronic player piano.

This roll scan dates from the late 1970s and was originally made by Superscope/Marantz for the Pianocorder player piano system. The original piano roll was most likely from the collection of Joseph Tushinsky, then head of Superscope. The scanning techniques used at that time were suboptimal, and there are tempo variations in the transfer which probably didn't exist in the original roll. But at least you can hear the entire performance, which was edited down quite a bit for the animated film.

Did you know this song has lyrics? They're pretty cheesy. You can hear them here .

You can find thousands of excellent MIDI files derived from vintage player piano rolls at these sites:

A couple more fun links:

Wayne Lytle's 1991 film More Bells and Whistles is believed to be the first computer animated film synchronized to MIDI and was what inspired Butterflies in the Rain.

Wayne Lytle went on to found his own company to produce this kind of animation synchronized with music, featuring fantastic virtual instruments "playing" the soundtrack. You can find his work at Animusic.com . Adults and kids alike are mesmerized by these videos, and I highly recommend them!

D
D
Hi Mark
If you have read my remarks above then you will understand why I offer you my very sincere thanks for the Butterflies midi. I have not been able to get the tune out of my head for nearly 2 weeks, a fact all the more frustrating beacuse we only get a snatch in the animation. I am, as I type, playing it back on my Roland HP204, my frustrations at an end.
Thanks again
David

Hazel,
Here's a link to a series of audio clips by a Kyoto-based piano restoration company. The audio clips include a number of Duo-Art roll selections played on their 2 restored Duo-Art reproducing grands - one is a Steinway and the other is a Weber (similar to my own Weber). Butterflies in the Rain (1933) is one of the featured selections and is played on their Steinway Duo-Art. The Duo-Art version I think is almost identical to the Ampico version featured in Mark Fontana's midi file. The link is: http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/Duo-Art/sound/
It is an infectious tune - but it's fun. turrin150

M
M
Thanks for posting that link! I'd never heard the original roll of this piece on a real pneumatic instrument before.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Turrin, thanks for that link! The pianos sound like they play really well.

G
G
Does anyone have (or know where I could obtain/purchase) a MIDI version of Duo-Art Roll 0733 Puttin' on the Ritz recorded by "Ralph Addison" but attributed to Frank Milne?.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting this Hazel, loved it!

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Very cool! smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
gregg88rx, you might want to try this website:

http://www.spencerserolls.com/

I believe Spencer Chase also posts here on PW. Hope that helps. smile

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 08/20/10 10:20 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission