Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
91 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, 27 invisible), 1409 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#656017 - 06/23/08 07:21 PM Yamaha Disklavier M4
disklavierphilip Offline

Loc: Australia
Hey Guys,

I just bought a Yamaha C2 Disklavier Mark 4, it was from an old couple they bought new in 2006, they played it a few times but the wife said it was a 'bit too loud' for her. (what a pity) So they closed it up and put it in a corner. Anyway they sold it too me last month ;-)

So I pretty much have a brand new instrument with the latest tech (it even connects to the internet lol) but I can't find any information at all EXCEPT the same marketing sales, press release crap.

I have a strong background with computers and general hardware etc etc, But I leave the piano part ofcorse to my professional tuner etc.

So I wanted to know if anyone else can answer a few questions for me..

1) How tough are the solidnoids these days, ie if I play lots of ragtime and heavy songs, is that going to start causing problems? I generally keep the veolicity down so they are not 'hitting' anymore loud then myself playing.

2) The current software is the latest from Yamaha 2.10 it's pretty good, but it lacks the features of 'VERSION 3' that's talked about in press releases.. it also has some little bugs when copying/moving files.. (I can expand more later) but anyway version 3 is not realesed yet \:\( . Does anyone have the ISO?

3) Finally, how often does one calebrate the sensors/keys etc? Apparantly this is in the 'service manual' that I have ordered and there are hidden menus etc but is it something that makes much of a difference? and or something you do every 10 years? just wondering thats all.

I called Yamaha aksing these humble questions, and a few little other things.. the guy who was the 'apparant expert' in Australia was a real A** Hol* and pretty much said '..if there is no problem with anything then don't worry yourself about anything.. go enjoy it..' He treated me like a noob trying to install a sound card.. Very dissapointed in his whole additude for his $40,000 product!

Cheers,
Philip

#656018 - 06/27/08 11:52 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier M4
athomik Offline

Loc: England
 Quote:
Originally posted by disklavierphilip:
Hey Guys,
1) How tough are the solidnoids these days, ie if I play lots of ragtime and heavy songs, is that going to start causing problems? I generally keep the veolicity down so they are not 'hitting' anymore loud then myself playing.[/b]
There are still some Disklavier Mk I pianos going strong out there. The solenoids virtually never fail ( at least not within 20-odd years)

Quote:

2) The current software is the latest from Yamaha 2.10 it's pretty good, but it lacks the features of 'VERSION 3' that's talked about in press releases.. it also has some little bugs when copying/moving files.. (I can expand more later) but anyway version 3 is not realesed yet \:\( . Does anyone have the ISO?[/b]
Version 3.0 is still at the beta stage and will hopefully come out later this year (at least in the States) Some of the new functions can be emulated with DKVBrowser (see the Disklavier Users Group for details, but (apparently) you have to revert to version 2.00.

Quote:

3) Finally, how often does one calebrate the sensors/keys etc? Apparantly this is in the 'service manual' that I have ordered and there are hidden menus etc but is it something that makes much of a difference? and or something you do every 10 years? just wondering thats all. [/b]
Calibration is only necessary when there is signficant wear on the action or your technician has worked on the action. Pedal calibration is slightly different in as far as it should also be done when the piano is initially set up, i.e. the lyre has been re-installed. Calibration is also carried out when any part of the sensor/drive section or the CSP unit has been replaced.

#656019 - 06/29/08 06:01 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier M4
disklavierphilip Offline

Loc: Australia
Cool thanks for your reply, I have joined the groups. But I might be slightly old fashion but I think forums like these are nicer ;-)

Does anyone have a copy of version 3 beta?

Cheers,
Philip

What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
Yesterday at 10:41 PM
Keyboard for $500 - and software to help learn?
by Freebird308
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
my struggle to learn pop piano
by carojm36
Yesterday at 08:51 PM
Compare Steinway, Estonia & Shigeru Kawai
by Nxwang
Yesterday at 07:20 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159306 Topics
2340142 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission