Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#656351 - 11/05/02 06:13 PM How do I record/create a CD of my playing?
JaneDoe975 Offline

I have been playing piano since I was a child. A couple years ago, I bought a low-end digital piano to pass the time until the day I can afford to buy a grand (far, far in the future). I was not interested in any of its (decidedly minimal) bells and whistles; I merely wanted something that sounded like a piano, and that I could plug headphones into since I live in a large apartment building. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Recently, it occurred to me (okay, so I'm a little slow on the uptake...) that since this piano is digital, it's feasible that I could record my playing with a computer and ultimately burn a CD of my songs....and oh wouldn't that just be the perfect Christmas gift for my doting grandmother? Why yes, it would. \:\) Unfortunately, I know nothing about how to go about this process, so this is where I'm hoping someone can provide me with some information.

I have this digital piano (Kurzweil Mark 3). And I have access to a PC computer running Windows 2000 (with USB ports, if that helps). And I have a CD burner (in the past I have created CDs by converting .mp3s to .wavs and burning the .wavs onto the disc). So now what? How does this process work? What do I need in the way of connectors, software, hardware, etc.? What do I need to know that I don't know already? About how much will the equipment/software cost? I should note that I have no desire to edit or supplement the music in any way...I merely want to end up with a CD of pure piano music.

Any help or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#656352 - 11/06/02 01:08 AM Re: How do I record/create a CD of my playing?
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Jane your just about THERE if you have a CD burner. You may have to spend $10 or $15 bucks on cables and plugs or jacks to get from the LINE-OUT of the piano to the LINE-IN of your sound card. You didn't specify having a sound card but I assume your computer came with one installed. I don't THINK it has to be a "full-duplex" card either, which, if you don't know what that means, don't worry about it.

You probably also have a WAV recording program somewhere on the computer. (Voyetra is one common brand name, yours may be different.)

Your CD burner came with a program which will allow you to .....well you've already burned WAVs to CD's so all you have to learn is how to record your playing into WAV files.
Its pretty simple, BUT there are a couple of caveats. Wav files can be "sampled" at several different frequencies, from 12,000 samples per second up to 48,000 samples per second. The higher the number, the better the recorded sound, and the bigger the WAV file will be. One minute of music takes about 10 Megabytes when sampled at 44,000 cycles per sec (kHz) , 16 bit , stereo.

The Caveat here is that Wav files sampled at 44000 WILL transfer to CD's but Wav files sampled at 48000 will NOT transfer to the CD. So, you have to make sure when you set up your wav recorder program that you set it to record at the correct sampling rate, or you'll end up having nice recordings on your computer that you CAN'T burn to the CD.

OK, that's the general warning, now, I'll add you should check in the CDburner documentation to see if I'm correct with the specifics. (i.e.. I know with my HP CDwriter, 44kHz WILL record to CD while 48kHz will NOT record. Its probably that way with yours too, but Im not positive. You can check this, of course, by recording something simple at 44kHz and 48 kHz and seeing if the CDBurn program rejects one of them.

Hopefully your recording program has an editing feature, so that you can record the same song for 15 minutes at a whack, save the whole 180Meg file, and then pick out the 2 or 3 minutes take that you like the best. They usually show a waveform across the screen and you can highlight the part you like best, copy it to the clipboard and then save the clipboard. (This saved file is what you'll probably end up putting on the CD) These programs often come as freebies on the computer, and if you DON"T have one, there are some downloadable demos online. I have Voyetra AudioView, as I mentioned earlier, and CoolEdit and FruityLoops are 2 other names I know that have demos somewhere. If you don't have anything, tell me and I'll look up those sites, but you probably have something workable on your system now.
Theres probably a "Volumn Control" or "Recording Options" dialogue box that you may have to adjust to make sure the souncard is recording from LineIn instead of MidiIn or Microphone in.

You'll want to cable from PIANO LINE-OUT to Computer Soundcard LINE-IN.
Soundcard LineIn jacks are usually mini-stereo jacks. (one hole= Right & Left signals)
Piano LineOuts are sometimes RCA Phono plug, more often full size PhoneJacks and almost always have 2 holes 1 for Right signal, the other for Left.
Radio Shack has adapters from one size to the other, as well as "splitters" that go from 2 mono plugs at one end to single stereo plug at the other.

So you'll probably need:
TWO "MalePhoneJack-FemaleRCAPhonoPlug" adapters, 1 for PianoLineOutRight,1 for PianoLineOutLeft. $5 for both

ONE splitter "RCAPhonoPlugMale x RCAPhonoPlugMale" to "Male mini-stereo jack" for soundcard input (maybe Sub-mini-stereo.........they keep SHRINKING this stuff,,,,you'll have to check sizes to make sure.
These splitters can be on cables from 2 feet to 15 feet long depending on how far between your piano and your computer. Around $10

I wouldn't think you would need any Midi cable or Midi connectors for what you describe. Although if you HAD the connectors and Sibelius or Finale Transcription program, you could ........oh well, thats a whole different project.

Hope this helps, I don't think it's as complicated as I made it sound. Plug it in, play, see if it records. Good luck,
Bob

#656353 - 11/06/02 02:00 PM Re: How do I record/create a CD of my playing?
Rick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
I'll just add to what Bob said. If you don't plan on doing any editing whatsoever to your resulting files, then you can go ahead and create mp3's right off the bat. But if you want to edit them, then you will need to convert the mp3's to WAV's anyway, so you might as well start with WAV's. I use a program that I bought at Best Buy called Dartpro 32 (from MacMillan Software). It allows me to do many things, including splicing the "good parts" of my recorded playing together to create a decent composite recording. It also lets you modify any file by removing applause, increasing or decreasing the amplitude (volume), etc. No program that I know of lets you edit an mp3 file directly, so before you do the editing you must convert the mp3 to a WAV (two steps using Musicmatch Jukebox). Then when you're done editing, you convert it back to mp3.

One last thing: If you have some mp3's on your hard drive, and all you want to do is burn them onto a CD, there is no reason to convert them to WAV format first. That is, unless your burning program differs drastically from Easy CD Creator (which I use).

Rick

#656354 - 11/06/02 04:40 PM Re: How do I record/create a CD of my playing?
William88 Offline

Loc: MidAtlantic
That actually was the cleanest, most concise explanations I've heard. Thanks guys. I had managed to make it work a couple of times, but not well. Now I see my mistakes I made. Of coyrse, now I've got to find a new use for all of those imaginative curse words I discovered while trying to figure out the recording process before. \:D

#656355 - 11/06/02 05:00 PM Re: How do I record/create a CD of my playing?
JaneDoe975 Offline

Thank you so much, both of you! This sounds much less complicated than I was imagining it would be. I'm pretty certain that I don't already have a WAV recording program, but I will poke around online and take a look at the ones you mentioned. You've given me an excellent place to start. Thanks again for all the detailed info!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
51 minutes 12 seconds ago
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
Today at 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
Today at 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
Yesterday at 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Who's Online
64 registered (bennevis, Abby Pianoman, 36251, BearLake, 17 invisible), 811 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157619 Topics
2315167 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission