Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#656485 - 09/30/04 11:52 AM Pf500 sound/appearance
aasieg Offline

Loc: Commerce, TX
I'm zeroing in on my choice of digital piano for our home, and have narrowed it down to the Yamaha YDP223 or Pf500. I live in Middle-of-Nowhere Texas, so will have to drive a distance wherever I go to try these models out in person, and I want as much info as possible before making that trek (probably to Dallas metroplex).

Based on photos of these two models, and info gleaned from discussion boards such as this, I wonder about the sound quality/speakers on these two models. Where are the speakers on each of these models - if on the back of the keyboard, for example, will placing the unit against the wall dampen the sound? Is the cabinet on the YDP223 just a cabinet, or does it contain electronic innards?

From what I understand, the sound quality on the Pf500 is excellent, it's features are good, and I'm favoring this instrument. Usage will be for myself - I played piano many years ago - and for my young children to learn on.

Thanks for your help and opinions!

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#656486 - 09/30/04 02:49 PM Re: Pf500 sound/appearance
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
PF500 is definitely a good choice, at least that's what i had been searching and examining from distance (over internet sites) and finally resisted all other selections and bought this one.

i love its key action first time i played it when i got it setup. i never even got a chance to play it before buying it since i didn't find any in any music stores around. but i did try Yamaha's CLP150/170 models which i also liked.

YDP223 is probably equivalent to CLP120 with 64-polyphony, while PF500 has 128. YDP/CLP models may sound better with cabinet, and the higher end models are equipped with more powerful speakers. PF500's speakers are at CLP130's level perhaps, not as powerful as the ones on CLP150 and above models, but certainly are good enough for me. you could always get better external speakers if you ever need to.

#656487 - 09/30/04 02:58 PM Re: Pf500 sound/appearance
helenh Offline

Loc: Rangoon, Burma
On my PF500 the speakers are on the top of the instrument, 2*30W as I understand. Could be a bit more bass for long runs in the D minor Toccata and Fugue but others have added a subwoofer to sort this. I have not felt the need to date and the recommended Yamaha sub is not available in our country. . Mine is against a wall. The sound quality and general feel of the instrument is excellent especially Grand Piano 1, the organ voices and the harpsichord. It is reported to be the same as a Clavinova CLP 150 only with less speaker power and a contemporary cabinet, and at least in my town was a bargain buy. It has a solid feel and the added bonus of the 480 XG voices which could amuse the children for quite some time. But it really depends on whether you like the woodgrain effect cabinet of the YDP223 more than the styling of the PF500. I am very happy with my PF500.

#656488 - 09/30/04 03:23 PM Re: Pf500 sound/appearance
mark2048 Offline

The pf500 is almost exactly the same as the p250 except for the styling, pedals (pf500 has 3, p250 only 1), stand (pf500 includes it), and the p250 is missing the metronome. So if you really want to hear more about it look at reviews of the p250 on this board, harmony-central.com, and musicplayer.com (probably others that I don't know about). The p250 receives very high praise. I have one and I think the sound is great through the built-in speakers.

#656489 - 10/03/04 10:37 PM Re: Pf500 sound/appearance
Kenpcola Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
I tried out both pianos before.
Obviously, YDP223 is a lot cheaper than PF500 and doesn't have many bells and whistles. Both seem to have same speakers system but YDP cabinet makes the sound richer in acoustic. Neither of the sound made by those two will be effected by placing them against wall. Keys feel is different too. If you like PF, go get it. It is always fun to play different sounds from time to time.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
164 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Almaviva, 50 invisible), 1793 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252754 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
Today at 05:36 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission