Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#656779 - 02/28/08 12:32 PM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the samples. The Casio PX320 sounds like a winner, especially for the price and for such a lightweight instrument. Great gigging piano.

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#656780 - 03/02/08 07:48 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Blackpool, UK
Hi pateson

I'll try and put something together for you next week! Hmmm Organ and strings huh?

Yup its a cool piano TP...so light for gigging, next week I'm gonna use it for the first time at a gig...I'm DJ'ing at a large masonic do over the weekend and they need a piano for one song for an Opera singer and her pianist so, I'm supplying the PX-320 (at cost)...I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes and how it sounds thru my rig.

No doubt the Masons will get to hear a little Seaside on the piano too ;\) \:D

Lee \:\)

#656781 - 03/02/08 11:23 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
nosignal Offline

Thank you so much for making this topic! haha. ive been looking for a digital piano for a while now, and i guess i overlooked the 320 but im so glad i read your post because now i will have to check the 320 out. id really appriciate it if you could, like pateson said, record some other sounds. thanks a bunch!!!

#656782 - 03/04/08 06:41 PM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi nosignal

Quote:
Thank you so much for making this topic
you're welcome \:\)

Quote:
id really appriciate it if you could, like pateson said, record some other sounds. thanks a bunch!!!
I'm busy at the moment but I'll try and get something recorded for you ASAP

#656783 - 03/05/08 12:57 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
apollo33 Offline

Loc: US, PA
Beowulf: Why are you glad you got the 320 over the 200?

Signa (if he/she ever comes back): I believe there was a topic on this forum about the 200 and 320, and someone said they called Casio and were told that the 320 uses the exact same keyboard and action as the 200, and possibly the same main sounds. Which is why I asked Beowulf that question, since the price difference is a few hundred dollars!

Lee: How much was the 320? And congrats on getting it! It looks really cool online. But sadly there don't seem to be any in the US, so last month I got a 200.

EDIT: Here is the 320 vs 200 thread. This is the main part:
 Quote:
Originally posted by MrFrench:
Just had a quick chat with “Paul” at Casio UK

Paul has seen (and played) a demo model of the new PX-320 and tells me :
There’s little difference between the 2 models. Same sound generator, same touch mechanism, same speakers and amplifier. Same weight.

Differences :
The 320 adds a line-in facility. Both have line-out, the 200 doesn’t have line-in.
PX-320 can save settings and then lock them, not possible on the PX-200.
PX-320 has 202 “Tones”, the PX-200 “only” 162 tones
PX-320 has 70 rhythms, only 20 on PX-200[/b]

#656784 - 03/05/08 06:07 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
BeowulfX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by apollo33:
Beowulf: Why are you glad you got the 320 over the 200?

Signa (if he/she ever comes back): I believe there was a topic on this forum about the 200 and 320, and someone said they called Casio and were told that the 320 uses the exact same keyboard and action as the 200, and possibly the same main sounds. Which is why I asked Beowulf that question, since the price difference is a few hundred dollars!
[/b]
I bought the PX-320 for the extra features that it has over the PX-200 (i.e. registration memory, LINE-IN,70 built-in rhythms, 202 tones and control panel lock mode). Since I would be using the digital piano in gigs as well, I found the registration memory a bit handy for quick patch changes or quick split-point with layered tones change while playing a song in a band. This makes changing instrument tones rather easy for me during live performances.

Although I was contemplating on getting the PX-200, when I did research over the internet, I found out about the newer PX-320 and so I opted to check it out as well. Unfortunately it wasn't available yet in our area and its considered "order-basis" only, so I had to find a way to be able to get one. I ended up calling the local CASIO distributor and their staff was rather helpful enough to accomodate me and let me order the PX-320 THROUGH them (i.e. they placed the order for the PX-320 in my behalf). They had it ordered straight from CASIO japan,and it took almost 30 days shipping before it finally arrived and was delivered to me...unscathed...thankfully.

It's true that the PX-320 and PX-200 uses the same "AIF" sound source/sample compression method, but since I had the intention of using a digital piano in gigs, and needed some feature better adapted to it or any live performance with a band (i.e. registration memory feature and more instrument tones/patches to choose from), I chose the PX-320 instead of the PX-200.
PX-5S PC361 PX-320 Graphite 49 Pianoteq 4.5-Standard+Bluethner EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Komplete Elements + other VSi TS110A KS40A DAW: AMD PhIIx4 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD 64GB+120GB-SSD Sapphire 6i6 EMU XMIDI 2x2 Sonar X3 Pearl Acoustic Drumset
Contemplating on: Yamaha MOXF6 or Roland FA-06

#656785 - 03/05/08 09:38 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi apollo33

Quote:
How much was the 320?
It was £550 and I got £100 trade in for my PX-100, (probably could have gotten a better deal selling the 100 privately and then haggling on the price for the 320 in the shop but, hey its anything for an easy life with me ;\) )

I couldn't try out a 200 as they didn't have one in the shop but, it seems from what I read the two keyboards are very similar but, with the extras on the PX-320 that BeowulfX mentions.

One day I hope to use it for gigging too \:\)

regards

Lee

#656786 - 03/05/08 10:43 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
apollo33 Offline

Loc: US, PA
Beowulf: Thanks for the response. That's cool that they ordered the 320 for you. It does seem better suited to playing live, especially with the save and restore ability. I like the darker look too. I guess I'm just glad I'm a beginner so I could save money with the 200 \:\)

#656787 - 03/06/08 08:26 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Okay Guys as promised here are a few more samples with different voices

Dunno if this is what you are all wanting to hear but please feel free to take a listen \:\)

Electric Piano 1 sample [click here]

Electric Piano Sample 2 [click here]

Best I could come up with on a Church Organ LOL [click here]

Jazz Organ & Strings Sample [click here]

String Piano - Close To You sample [click here]

Hopefully this'll do?

Lee

#656788 - 03/06/08 09:30 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Congrats!!!! Beautiful playing as usual \:D

#656789 - 03/07/08 07:06 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Beautiful playing as usual
Thank you, Lolly \:\)

Glad you like them, I think this keyboard is actually making me play better?

Lee \:D

#656790 - 03/10/08 07:41 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Guys,

This weekend I played my first ever paying gig \:D ...I was already being paid to DJ the do and they needed a piano too so, they paid extra to me for mine and I offered to play a little background during the meal for them...yikes!

This was a great chance for me to see and hear how the my casio performed through my PA.

I recorded a video on my camera phone for y'all to see, I was going to edit it but, I think its better warts and all (makes it more sort of real IMHO)

Because my disco rig is playing background music too I mixed in my live playing inbetween Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble and Ella etc

This gave me the opportunities to run through a song once before I play it out LIVE!!

As I say because of the background music the first run through that you'll see is just a practise that only you and I can hear...then at 3:43 I fade the music out over to my side and play it LIVE!!

To see and hear my new Casio PX-320 in action [click here]

Let me know what you think of this rather cool little keyboard

#656791 - 03/11/08 04:31 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
BeowulfX Offline

@ Seaside Lee:

It used to be that pianists played music while a royal family, aristocrats...the rich and other privileged people watched and listened. Then came Liszt wherein he revolutionized the whole performance aspect of piano-playing...recitals and concerts being given in public paving the way for the masses to hear music which was once meant to entertain a select few.

In either of these times, it was always the pianist as the “center of attraction”. He was what we now call as “the star” or a “pop-idol”.

But nowadays and with the advent of new genres/types of music, the attention has shifted from the pianist to lead guitarists, drummers, percussionists, saxophonist, trumpet virtuosos playing in either a rock, jazz or pop band and even vocalists and rappers in pop, R&B and rap music. There's nothing wrong with this. In fact, it can be considered a form of triumph in music and a triumph of diversity at that. I'm all for that.

More frequently, however, the pianist and/or keyboardist is relegated to background, accompanying or supporting music. Being an accompanying musician for a pianist, has become an art in itself...especially if we are to make reference in the past wherein a pianist is “accompanied” by a symphony/chamber orchestra or just a string ensemble or what have you.

In due time, what was once the “star” of a concert, had now learned a humbling yet equally fruitful experience of accompanying singers, bassists in a jazz band, saxophone and trumpet players etc. And as if this isn't enough, its now a common occurence to see a pianist playing in hotel lobbies, restaurants, malls and bars while people, oblivious to the pianist, either pass along, chat or simply “ignore” the music. A lesson in humility is always good. It keeps our feet on the ground...and it reminds us that the piano is not just a solo instrument, but as an “accompanying instrument as well”. Don't get me wrong here, I'm talking about non-concert pianists in general.

But like any artist and TRUE to being an artist, a musician (whether a guitarist, trumpet player, violinist...etc.) also craves for appreciation of his/her work or performance. An applause, congratulatory words, some constructive criticisms here and there, or at the very least, undivided attention of an audience may be a good enough form of “non-monetary compensation” for the hard work and long hours of practice.

Having had played background music for small-time events, at the start I was excited and elated. I was always thinking of new songs or pieces to practice/master prior to each event (non-concert event but simple stuff like in hotel lobbies/restaurants/parties/ etc.). It wasn't just for the money, I wanted to be able to entertain people. But reality soon found its way to me, and there was a time that I even asked myself...”all this practicing and arranging music...but for what? People hardly even care about what I play, in fact, they don't even know I exist?”. There are a lot of factors...may be it was my music repertoire not matching the audience, may be the audience aren't just in to music, may be I didn't play well enough or may be I'm not a “Marc Andre Hamlin” , a Van Cliburn, or a “Franz Liszt”,...MAY BE THIS...MAY BE THAT...

I had to somehow, “re-invent” myself, from being a piano soloist to re-acquainting with old friends who happened to play lead guitars, bass guitars, drums and becoming a “band member”. In other words, I somehow found a way to re-channel my creative efforts. I read about and got myself personally acquainted with MIDI and sequencing stuff, music gears, home-studio recording, R&B music, progressive rock and other types of music that I previously “ignored”, and performing on gigs with the band. This satisfied the craving that I was looking for in terms of stage exposure, performance experience, music attention from discerning crowd or audience. These are “small-time victories or triumphs on a personal level" and is nothing like the standing ovation given to a piano virtuoso in a classical concert or in reputable piano competitions. But simple triumphs like this serve to “reinforce” what ever confidence, knowledge and experience that a non-concert pianist may have.

I understand you and I have to congratulate you for your enthusiasm and courage Seaside Lee. Playing background piano music in an event like that may or may not make people notice your piano-playing let alone your new keyboard. Although I do know that in that event your services were on being the DJ and providing the PA system, it didn't discourage you from sharing your talent...

I'd say KEEP GOING, you'll never know when someone would come up and say “I really liked the way you played or arranged that song”...responses like this are things that can inspire or keep any musician who is serious with his/her craft, motivated. We live for the appreciation stuff too like everybody else. And it pushes as to practice, play, arrange or create more music and it encourages us to strive to be even better.

Like I've said, don't get me wrong on this reply/post, it is for the most part, a retrospective/reflective process on my part, and quite possibly it may also give you something to reflect on or think about.

Good luck in your piano-playing!
PX-5S PC361 PX-320 Graphite 49 Pianoteq 4.5-Standard+Bluethner EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Komplete Elements + other VSi TS110A KS40A DAW: AMD PhIIx4 16GB DDR3 1TB HDD 64GB+120GB-SSD Sapphire 6i6 EMU XMIDI 2x2 Sonar X3 Pearl Acoustic Drumset
Contemplating on: Yamaha MOXF6 or Roland FA-06

#656792 - 03/11/08 02:56 PM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thank you for taking the time to write such a beautiful heartfelt post for me BeowulfX. \:D Quite eye opening actually, I had never realized how the piano had kind of been relegated over the centuries to where it is now (having said that I love the sound of solo piano accompanying a singer and one day I'd love to do that. We went to our eldest sons junior school Carol Service in December and the choir was simply accompanied by the music teacher on piano and it was just so darned beautiful I can't tell.

However , I am not sure how I would have handled the pressure of playing for a prince or a King? (especially if there was an "off with your head if you get it wrong" clause in the contract!

I know exactly what you mean and you're right there probably isn't much recognition to be had from these things...so, right or wrong the way I'm trying to think it at the moment is this:-

I love playing the piano, I could have never believed 4 years ago how this thing would take over my life so much its not so much a part of me it is me! I am extremely happy when I play so I just try to imagine that I am playing for myself and that no-one else is there in the room.

I am going to try my best to keep this attitude for as long as I can. And if I can maybe get some more bookings out of this and make a little money along the way just doing something that I really enjoy then thats cool and if my playing happens to touch just a few hearts a long the way it will have somehow been worth it.

I know from being a party DJ for so many years that you can't please all of the people all of the time and I'm pretty hardened to comments like "can you play something good" "...something we all know" "...something to dance to!" etc etc So, I'm pretty thick skinned ;\)

thanks again for taking the time to write me and for the encouragement it is really appreciated

Lee

#656793 - 03/11/08 03:11 PM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
pateson Offline

Seasite Lee: thanks very much for samples. I have already ordered PX-320 and now I can start learning to play ...

#656794 - 03/12/08 12:56 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Secondo Offline

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Hi Lee,

I listened to your recordings. Your playing is getting more and more beautiful all the time--I can hear it even since the recital that you have improved. Great rhythm and very musical. I love what you did when you played out where all those people were (starts out slow and then gets a little salsa added).

Cool man!

#656795 - 03/12/08 05:43 PM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi pateson \:\) :

Hope you like it as much as I do when it arrives ...can't wait to hear you play it! ;\)

Hi Secondo \:\) :

Thank you for listening and for writing me, glad you enjoyed the video the quality is not the best but, it is only off my phone camera at least it gives a sense of what its like playing at a function...ya make me feel good \:D

Lee

#656796 - 03/16/08 11:56 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
theRecluse Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
yay!! just got a PX-320!! £468 off amazon plus free shipping.
Haven't left it alone since it arrived...
EDIT ==> Changed my display name after making this post.

#656797 - 03/17/08 08:49 AM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Great price that '432...'

Quote:
Haven't left it alone since it arrived...
me neither \:D

#656798 - 04/15/08 01:10 PM Re: Traded in my beloved PX100 for a PX-320 :)
Seaside_Lee Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Folks

here's some more playing on the PX-320 for y'all to hear

The touch and emotion this keyboard brings to my playing is really exciting me...I love this keyboard more by the day.

I have posted this file in the ABF too...I've been going through a tough emotional patch with my recent split and find playing my piano is helping me get through it.

Here's The Way We Were played last night and played on the Casio PX-320

BEWARE its emotional Yikes! {click to hear}

regards

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (ajames, 36251, 44 invisible), 1762 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156124 Topics
2292683 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy and Tag! - student level pieces
by Axtremus
Today at 09:46 AM
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
Today at 08:56 AM
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
Today at 08:53 AM
Tag!
by Axtremus
Today at 08:53 AM
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
Today at 08:45 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission