Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#657278 - 09/26/06 02:39 PM Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
DeAntonio Offline

Loc: United Kingdon
Hello:)

I was thinking of upgrading my Digital piano one day (I have a Roland KR577 - still good) and would like to know if anyone has played on one of these workstation/keyboards/synths (OASYS)(supposedly a computer inside as well - albeit Linux)

No it isn’t cheap at £5,399 Pound (or about $8000 for the 88 key variety - though there is a 76 key one available too) Korg Oasys - nor though, however, is a Yamaha CVP 309 etc. Was just wondering what the quality of piano is like on this Synth - since there are many other things you can do with it too - like record 16 tracks of audio onto it then burn to CD.

TIA \:\)

Anthony

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#657279 - 09/26/06 05:03 PM Re: Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
born2die Offline

Loc: midlands uk
try the yamaha s90es as you have the half pedal function if you use there pedals and it also has a great piano with full wxpandability.

imo I think that it is a better sample than the over critical oasis and it will also leave you with £4000 for other things

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2720

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_euro...0_ES/index.html

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha_euro...h_v1_0_300k.wmv

Th last link is the video link from yams website
try yams website for vids
tris
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, leggy blonde in one hand, whisky in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

#657280 - 09/26/06 06:45 PM Re: Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
ipgrunt Offline

Loc: Western US
 Quote:
Originally posted by DeAntonio:

I was thinking of upgrading my Digital piano one day (I have a Roland KR577 - still good) and would like to know if anyone has played on one of these workstation/keyboards/synths (OASYS)(supposedly a computer inside as well - albeit Linux)

No it isn’t cheap at £5,399 Pound (or about $8000 for the 88 key variety - though there is a 76 key one available too) Korg Oasys - nor though, however, is a Yamaha CVP 309 etc. Was just wondering what the quality of piano is like on this Synth - since there are many other things you can do with it too - like record 16 tracks of audio onto it then burn to CD.

Anthony [/b]
Korg OASYS is the Edsel of the synth industry.

The OASYS is an amazing modular platform with giggagobs of memory, able to contain everything digital including the kitchen sink -- analog synth, vector synth, plucked string and other physical modellers, the CX-3 Hammond engine, their newest synth engine, etc. But for the pianist, the instrument is severely limited from the get-go because of the Korg RH2 ("Real Hammer") action. This action, which also appears in the SP-500, consistently rates lowest in comparisons of the big 4 digital piano makers (Korg, Kawai, Roland, Yamaha).

The Korg SP500 is common enough -- go play one and you'll have the feel of the OASYS -- imho, it's a cheap, light plastic feel with an unexpectedly shallow yet spongy keybed.

It's the 10" color screen of the graphical user interface that looks fantastic and how you visually configure the various components within the OASYS operating system. Hats off to the Korg software designers for a great looking and easy to use system! They worked hard to make a complicated system seem consisten and logical and therefore, relatively easy for an experienced user to operate. However, with the OASYS, one gets the feeling that the effort developing a controller/keybed didn't match the successful efforts and innovation on the software interface and integration technologies, and consequently delivered a keyboard that was not yet ready for primetime.

With the OASYS system and interface, Korg is now competing with VST/soft synth market. The software syth designers work from a top down perspective, compared to the hardware manufacture like Korg, Roland, and Yamaha, and it shows in user interface design, feature integration, and ease of use. Korg has lept ahead of their competition in making their keyboards usuable and I would like to see the OASYS system in better controller keybeds in near the future, at a much lower price point to make it accessible to the rest of us.

Had this interface been placed in the Yamaha ES or the Roland Fantom keyboard, then lookout Cleveland -- a winner has arrived. But that didn't happen, yet.

If you're considering the OASYS, stop.

Look for the best keyboard controller money can buy. Buy based on feel and features. Maybe you get a Kurzweill, CME, Novation, or whatever. Next, buy a top of the line dual core laptop, or wait until next spring's quad core Intel architecture hits the market. Then buy and run a decent soft piano, something like Ivory or Pianotec. You'll save money and be much happier with the results.

I'll leave you with one more thought.... Keyboard Magazine last year reviewed the OASYS and in it claimed that Jordan Rudess loves the feel of his OASYS keyboard. That may be true as I too would be delighted by an $8000 gift horse from Korg, but I'll bet Jordan sits down at a Kawai, Roland, or Yamaha, something other than a Korg keyboard when he's ready to lay down a digital piano track.

#657281 - 09/26/06 08:40 PM Re: Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
DeAntonio Offline

Thanks for the input.

I don't think I will go for an oasys - as the piano *does* seem to "lack" somewhat (after hearing online/dvd demos etc) - and that, even, considering it's over ½ gig big! I'm leaning to the software piano route, as I already have cubase SX3, with Lots of VST plugins.

My current PC is an Athlon FX55, 2gig ram, 250gig/16MB Cache HD etc

Thanks

Anthony

#657282 - 09/27/06 11:33 AM Re: Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
GregC Offline

Loc: Dublin, California
 Quote:
Originally posted by ipgrunt:
 Quote:

Anthony [/b]
Korg OASYS is the Edsel of the synth industry.

The OASYS is an amazing modular platform with giggagobs of memory, able to contain everything digital including the kitchen sink -- analog synth, vector synth, plucked string and other physical modellers, the CX-3 Hammond engine, their newest synth engine, etc. But for the pianist, the instrument is severely limited from the get-go because of the Korg RH2 ("Real Hammer") action. This action, which also appears in the SP-500, consistently rates lowest in comparisons of the big 4 digital piano makers (Korg, Kawai, Roland, Yamaha).

The Korg SP500 is common enough -- go play one and you'll have the feel of the OASYS -- imho, it's a cheap, light plastic feel with an unexpectedly shallow yet spongy keybed.

It's the 10" color screen of the graphical user interface that looks fantastic and how you visually configure the various components within the OASYS operating system. Hats off to the Korg software designers for a great looking and easy to use system! They worked hard to make a complicated system seem consisten and logical and therefore, relatively easy for an experienced user to operate. However, with the OASYS, one gets the feeling that the effort developing a controller/keybed didn't match the successful efforts and innovation on the software interface and integration technologies, and consequently delivered a keyboard that was not yet ready for primetime.

With the OASYS system and interface, Korg is now competing with VST/soft synth market. The software syth designers work from a top down perspective, compared to the hardware manufacture like Korg, Roland, and Yamaha, and it shows in user interface design, feature integration, and ease of use. Korg has lept ahead of their competition in making their keyboards usuable and I would like to see the OASYS system in better controller keybeds in near the future, at a much lower price point to make it accessible to the rest of us.

Had this interface been placed in the Yamaha ES or the Roland Fantom keyboard, then lookout Cleveland -- a winner has arrived. But that didn't happen, yet.

If you're considering the OASYS, stop.

Look for the best keyboard controller money can buy. Buy based on feel and features. Maybe you get a Kurzweill, CME, Novation, or whatever. Next, buy a top of the line dual core laptop, or wait until next spring's quad core Intel architecture hits the market. Then buy and run a decent soft piano, something like Ivory or Pianotec. You'll save money and be much happier with the results.

I'll leave you with one more thought.... Keyboard Magazine last year reviewed the OASYS and in it claimed that Jordan Rudess loves the feel of his OASYS keyboard. That may be true as I too would be delighted by an $8000 gift horse from Korg, but I'll bet Jordan sits down at a Kawai, Roland, or Yamaha, something other than a Korg keyboard when he's ready to lay down a digital piano track. [/b]
wow, the Oasys is the Edsel of the synth industry. And you have the inside stuff on JR's playing habits

And obviously, Korg isn't very smart, since by your standards, anyone can take a top line PC and load it with soft synths and hook it up with the ' best controller ' they can find, whatever that is

its great to learn so much from 1 person. FYI,I don't own the Oasys

#657283 - 08/28/07 06:02 PM Re: Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
DeAntonio Offline

Reason i'am "bumping" this thread, is because I actually Brought one of these last month![/b] - and it really is Awsome.
I "reviewed" it here http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26025&highlight= a while ago, and I was wrong in thnking the Roland KR577's piano was better. Nope, this piano is by far superior (over 500 megs big) and much clearer (the Roland KR577 sounded rather muffled - especially in the middle area).

Also, With the superb Strings on it, and orchestral sounds, you can just about compose(or copy!) a Concerto on it! \:\)

Antonio

#657284 - 09/16/07 02:16 AM Re: Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
skyy38 Offline

Loc: Alaska
 Quote:

Anthony [/b]
Now that we've gotten off the subject,you might want to try plinking around on a Yamaha MO 8,if you haven't already.WAY less expensive than an OASYS(lol) and,ultimately maybe more useful for musician types. Yamaha has always had a way with piano sounds basically because they manufacture electronic AND acoustic instruments.

It's about $1599 USD,but rebates are hovering in the air at Yamaha,so you might be able to catch one "falling".

#657285 - 09/17/07 06:18 PM Re: Korg O.A.S.Y.S. - anybody played one?
DeAntonio Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by skyy38:
[you might be able to catch one "falling". [/QB]
Or you might want to read the post directly above you?? :rolleyes:

Yamaha Digitals as a piano source?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music stores in Boston
by Jamie_from_Canada
Today at 09:39 AM
Need a stool of some kind
by GeorgeStorm
Today at 09:19 AM
Schoenberg's Kammersymphonie Op. 9 (for piano)
by jeffreyjones
Today at 08:48 AM
Old Schumann Upright
by UnrightTooner
Today at 08:24 AM
For sale: stand & monitors (used with MP11)...
by mrmacmusic
Today at 07:38 AM
Who's Online
138 registered (accordeur, ando, ajames, amt976, 44 invisible), 1636 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76389 Members
42 Forums
157919 Topics
2319245 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission