Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#657604 - 09/05/08 01:14 AM Casio Privia or Williams Encore
lpcmidst128 Offline

Loc: California
I'm deciding between the Casio PX-110, PX-120 or the Williams Encore digital piano. I tried a few of the keyboards at Guitar center and narrowed it down to these. I wouldn't mind paying a little more and get the PX-120 if the 128 polyphony makes a big difference. My current keyboard is a basic 61 key Yamaha which is my first and only keyboard so I would like to upgrade to 88 weighted keys.

I don't need any of the fancy stuff like the usb connection or flash drive on there. Just something basic and sounds great. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#657605 - 09/05/08 01:17 AM Re: Casio Privia or Williams Encore
Eternal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Posts: 80,372
PX110 will do fine. If you don't use layered sounds, and are not very advanced, you won't notice low polyphony.

Spend the savings on a bench - you'll need that much more than polyphony.

#657606 - 09/05/08 09:23 AM Re: Casio Privia or Williams Encore
Vincent L. Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
The action of the PX-120 is, in my opinion, the reason to get it over the other models you are considering. The sound is also better (imo). The high polyphony # on the PX-120 is also a guaranty you will never get notes dropped (and you will feel less the need to upgrade any time soon).
In addition to the bench, consider a good (stable) stand that will put the keys at the right height, and a pedal as well because the cheap plastic ones are not satisfying at all. They can't stay in place and are nowhere close in feeling like a regular piano pedal.
To me, if it fits your budget, the PX-120 is a no brainer.

#657607 - 09/05/08 07:58 PM Re: Casio Privia or Williams Encore
lpcmidst128 Offline

Thanks for the replies. Actually I have a piano bench and a table already. I will get the sustain pedal that looks like the piano kind.

#657608 - 09/05/08 08:22 PM Re: Casio Privia or Williams Encore
Vincent L. Offline

Make sure it is compatible with the DP you will get. There are no standards.

#657609 - 09/07/08 11:56 PM Re: Casio Privia or Williams Encore
lpcmidst128 Offline

I'm sure the table will fit just about any keyboard, made it myself, its a table rather than a stand. The bench, I measured a real piano bench and made one, even has padding.

The PX-110 has the ZPI while the PX-120 has the AIF. Does anyone know the difference between the ZPI and AIF sound chip?

#657610 - 09/08/08 12:45 AM Re: Casio Privia or Williams Encore
Vincent L. Offline

Here is what I get from the Casio web site.
AIF stands for Advanced Intelligent Filter technology, is the Casio's latest sound processing system. It is supposed to sound "more realistic".
I don't know what ZPI stands for. They describe it as 3 elements sound ship.
Casio Digital Pianos (DPs) with AIF offer the 3 layers piano sounds as the ZPI equipped ones (PX-110, 310 ...).
The Casio web site says about the PX-110 "Three different dynamic levels (samples) per key"
The AIF DPs have 180 piano samples 11 MB stored in ROM (180 might be 60 x 3 levels).
In comparison, my Yamaha P-120 had 22 MB of Piano samples. If I compare the Piano#1 of each DP (PX-320 that I now own vs. P-120), I would say that they are both very good, with the P-120 doing a better job on sustained notes (you can hear the loops more on the PX-320). I would bet the PX-120 is the same.
AIF seems to apply to the voices/timbres and not just piano.
Casio refers to sympathetic resonance capabilities only for AIF equipped DPs.

One important more important thing between the PX-110 and PX-120 is the action. And you need to try - there is no substitute - to know which one you prefer.
I tried the PX-110 and I did not care for it.
Then I tried the PX-120, and I considered replacing my 4 years old P-120 with this lighter Casio. The keyboard on the PX-120 is silent compared to the PX-110. And it feels better as well to me.
I ended up with the PX-320 because of a less than $550 delivered deal (gone) on the Internet. I would have been just fine with the PX-120.
The USB, Registration slots, SD Card reader, more advanced recorder and additional voices on the PX-320 are bonuses that I and my little one will probably use in the future.

#657611 - 09/08/08 01:55 AM Re: Casio Privia or Williams Encore
galaxy4t Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, CA
The ZPI chip is the sound source of the older Casio Privia DP. It is also used in the WK3300, WK3800, and WK8000. I am impressed with the sound quality of the ZPI vs the AIF. I had been comparing a PX-575 which has the ZPI with the PX-120/320 which have the AIF. They are in close proximity in the Guitar Center I sometimes go to. I like the piano sounds better on the PX-575. I think they sound richer and fuller. Unfortunately, this piano has only 32 units of polophony and with 620 tones, layering just a few tones, notes drop out quickly due to the limited poly. If you want to layer sounds, the 320 is the best bet, unless you look at Roland.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
69 registered (ando, Atrys, adanepst, 36251, BB Player, A Guy, 12 invisible), 1116 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153492 Topics
2249208 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired Fingers
by adanepst
Today at 01:45 AM
Bechstein 7
by PhilipInChina
Today at 01:07 AM
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission