Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#657620 - 08/06/04 12:21 AM Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
chattie Offline

Loc: CA
I bought a digital piano for a few months already. This is my first digital piano (it's not a portable stage) and I am noticing that the keys in the range I play most often are less "resistant" than the keys on lowest and the higest registers (the ones that are not played as often.)

Is that normal? I have an acoustic before and i know they have a break in period. Are digital pianos like that?

They keys are not loose, just feels lighter compared to the keys I don't play very often.

Thanks.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#657621 - 08/06/04 09:19 AM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
nan Offline

Loc: San Francisco
What model of digital are you talking about? I do know that the better digitals mimic the acoustic in that lower keys have more resistance than upper keys. But your description does not match that so I wonder. What about when you play different pieces -- do you notice a difference? I had two pieces I was playing and one of them the keys seemed very easy and light. The other piece I played (which was more on the lower end of the keyboard) the keys were harder. Can you change the setting of your touch on your digital?

#657622 - 08/06/04 02:58 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
chattie Offline

I need to clarify. All the keys feel right when I purchased it. The lower registers are heavier than the higher registers, etc...

So, I got to practicing and playing on the piano for a while now, and I noticed that the registers I play most often (2 octaves higher and lower than middle C)....well, the keys there are lighter than they ones were.

So I am wondering, did those keys get "broken in" and so they feel less "stiff" than before?

#657623 - 08/06/04 03:34 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
Lightnin Offline

Which keyboard? I have a Yamaha P90, used every day for seven months, and I dont detect any differences in it.

#657624 - 08/06/04 05:15 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
chattie Offline

I have a Casio AP-33.

#657625 - 08/06/04 05:20 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
chattie Offline

Also, it can just be my imagination. I haven't played piano for 20 years. At first the keys feel very heavy to me (my fingers and hands have all but atrophied during the past 20 years...hehe) so maybe since I've been playing a couple of hours a day my fingers and hands are getting a bit stronger.

I don't know if my hands are getting stronger so the keys are feeling lighter, or if there's something wrong with my instrument.

#657626 - 08/06/04 07:02 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
Lightnin Offline

Sorry, I dont know, but I wouldnt think stronger hands would be evident only at the center of the keyboard?

#657627 - 08/06/04 10:08 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
chattie Offline

I think maybe it's just me. I get very paranoid about any new things I buy. A called a friend over to check it out and she thinks everything is fine.

#657628 - 08/11/04 08:06 AM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, the actions will loosen up with use, mine have too. There are bushings involved.

#657629 - 08/14/04 08:18 AM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
mch412 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MA
Over long periods of time, differences in touch are generally noticeable. But it sounds a little awkward that it would start to happen so quickly.

#657630 - 08/14/04 01:29 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Out of the box they are tight. After 10-15 hours of play the Yamaha P series actions will loosen up slightly. I have broken in over a dozen of them. Don't worry, they are too heavy and stiff to begin with so they will improve (loosen up) over time. I wish Yamaha would lighten their action weights in the future. The down-weight on the P120/250 is about 74 grams at middle C and that's too much in my opinion.

#657631 - 08/14/04 04:20 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
nan Offline

rintincop,

That's interesting that the digital keys will loosen up. I set my new CLP 990 on light and I still find the keys harder to play than my teachers acoustic grand. She wanted me to set the touch to medium but I can't do that yet. I have thought the keys are maybe too stiff. How long will it take for them to loosen up enough? I've had it three months now.

#657632 - 08/14/04 05:51 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

They will only loosen up slightly, not a lot. Yamaha weighted actions are not the same as a real piano action, they are heavier than real piano actions. Keep yours on "light" if you are more comfortable. The down-weight of the Yamaha P120 and P250 at middle C is around 74 grams. I am not sure which action is in your model. I wish the Yamaha P actions were lighter, my wrists get sore playing these P boards.

#657633 - 08/16/04 10:32 AM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
mch412 Offline

Loc: Springfield, MA
Nan,
Keep in mind that when you change the touch setting from medium to light to heavy, that you are not changing the touch weight of the instrument, just the amount of velocity it takes to achieve the same level of volume.
And don't expect the action on a new Clavinova to "loosen up" to any noticeable degree.

#657634 - 08/16/04 07:18 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
nan Offline

Thank you for your advice -- actually, it is getting easier because I believe I am finally building up more muscles in my fingers. The first digital I was on was too light so I think it has taken me some time to build up more dexterity.

#657635 - 08/19/04 11:15 AM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
lesecret Offline

Ritincop, I noticed that there is a slight difference in the touch of the different models in the P series, with the P90 being the heaviest. Do you find that of your keyboards?

#657636 - 08/19/04 12:24 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I notice a difference and I find the best way to compare is with the sound off. I notice the P120 action to be slightly more slugish than the P90. The P90 feels like the bottom of he key bed is not as deep as the P120 and P250. I find the action P250 slightly heavier than the other two.
There also seems to be a slight difference of stiffness between the three. With the sound on they all feel even more different because their sounds react diferently.

#657637 - 08/19/04 07:09 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
TheVibeRAIDER Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area
 Quote:
Originally posted by rintincop:
The down-weight on the P120/250 is about 74 grams at middle C and that's too much in my opinion. [/b]
How'd you measure down-weight?

I just bought a Yamaha P120 after a lot of comparing. I noticed some differences in all the digital pianos' action, but I preferred the sound of the Yamaha P120.

I felt the Casio PX-100 action is slightly smoother/lighter, but again, the sound is what I preferred in the P120.

I seem to notice that acoustic pianos will vary in touch, as well.
2013 Charles Walter 1520 QA.

#657638 - 08/20/04 12:37 AM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
rintincop Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You can measure with coins stacked on a key.

#657639 - 10/31/04 01:22 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

I have a set of cooking weights that I purchased from a chinese supermarket here in Vancouver. I have used them to check the initial load reaction of Digital Pianos when considering a purchase...By initial load I mean the weight at which a key will depress without sounding a note. I started by measuring the initial load of a Steinway Grand at a local dealer. Middle C on this piano measured 57 grams. (Generally I think Steinway is regarded as one of the worlds best actions)Anyways, Middle C depressed without assistance, Just the weight on the end of the key. No sound was produced. I then used the same weight on middle C of Roland, Yamaha and Kawai Digital Pianos. Guess what I found out? On the Roland (HP-3) the initial load was 59 grams at middle C. The Kawai (CP970) was 67 grams, and the Yamaha (CLP130).......74 GRAMS at middle C! Some like it heavy. Some like it real..... I like it real! (Or at least the optimum for a digital piano) There were a few other manufacturers I would have liked to try out (Korg, Kurzweil, Casio) but alas, there are no dealers here in Vancouver!
Anyways My 2 Cents

#657640 - 11/16/04 04:51 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
dbm Offline

I played some fairly new out of box Casio PX-100 and the newer PX-400R --- the actions felt among the tightest among the digital pianos in direct comparison with a variety of store displays. Some other demos of PX-100 and PX-300 are very light. I wonder if it's a "break-in" issue or Casio changed the design in preference for a much firmer action?

#657641 - 11/19/04 12:15 AM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
Xenon Offline

Hi, Mr. ProPianoGuyBC, I'm a fellow Vancouverite and a newbie to the piano scene. I'm very interested in picking up a Yamaha p90 or p120, any recommendations as to a good place here in Vancouver? Or would I get better deals online?

#657642 - 11/24/04 09:41 PM Re: Digital Piano Keys, do they have break-in period?
ProPianoGuyBC Offline

Hey Xenon, You can always check out Long and McQuade or Tom Lee Music for both Yamaha and Roland Stage Pianos. They both have locations all over the Lower Mainland....What area of Van are you in? Let me know and I will try to send you to the right place!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Studio monitors for a digital piano
by diegopefm
09/19/14 05:18 AM
Has anyone tried out wireless USB hubs for software pianos?
by Allan W.
09/19/14 02:34 AM
What books do you use for teaching beginners?
by Daffodil
09/19/14 12:54 AM
Help buying digital piano for my son
by roomservicetaco
09/18/14 11:54 PM
Headphone impedance for DP90se
by lunobili
09/18/14 10:29 PM
Who's Online
59 registered (bennevis, BearLake, chrisbell, ChoPraTs, BB Player, 12 invisible), 812 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76250 Members
42 Forums
157619 Topics
2315166 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission