2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hi there,

I am a classical pianist, intermediate to advanced , looking for a digital piano. My previous employer allowed me to practice on their Steinway B, but now I'm on my own piano-wise. I decided on a digital due to cost considerations and also my desire to practice at odd hours with headphones. I am not interested in other bells and whistles, mostly the piano and how realistic it is compared with an acoustic.

I have sampled various digital pianos and have narrowed my choices down to the above.

To me, the Roland HP2 has a very nice sound, but the keyboard touch is too light for my tastes. The Kawai CA5 keyboard touch, with its much-touted wooden keys, seems more authentic, but the sound is less impressive. The Yamaha CLP130 is in between the Kawai and Roland; I'm not too fond of the Yamaha sound, probably because I'm used to the broader, more expressive Steinway sounds.

I was wondering if anyone has tried or owned any of the above pianos and what your thoughts are about their performance, sound and reliability. Thanks very much.

Mark Faix
H
H
I took an HP2 back because of the light touch and limited sound output, even though I liked the piano voice quality, and got a Yamaha PF500 instead. I am very happy with it. I'm a classical pianist too. I graduated from a low end Yamaha acoustic so probably am used to the Yamaha sound. Its built like a tank but because it is relatively new I can't comment on reliability.
It has a great organ voice and harpsichord too.

H
H
Sorry, forgot to say that the PF500 is pretty much a stage piano version of the Yamaha CLP150.

J
J
I looked at the same lines recently while shopping for a digital.
I decided to go with Kawai. The Yamahas seem to be more popular among folks here, and the Rolands seemed nice, too. Lots to choose from! I'd say they are all good and it really comes down to personal preference.
Good luck in your search.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
if you would consider buying a Yamaha, choose a better CLP150/PF500(128 polyphony) instead of CLP130 which has only 64 polyphony. since you are almost an advanced player, you may have to consider this aspect.

D
D
The Roland Piano I have (KR-577) has an onboard demo of the polyphony, and demonstartes the 128 note poly (which it has) to one that has only 64. It does it by a "slow glissando" from bottum to top of keyboard, and bottum notes are still playing when you reach the top. With 64 notes however, the bottum notes cut off way before reaching the top. 64 is "ok" as long as you don't go mad, but does show it has limitations. KORG/Roland are good polyphony managers, not too sure about the Yamahas though (I've heard reports of note cut-off's on the 256 note poly ones). smile

Antonio

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission