Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#658827 - 04/28/07 11:07 PM Clavinova CLP 280
kawai07 Offline

Loc: Detroit
Hello everybody!

I am new on this forum. Initially, I wanted to buy a Kawai CA5, because of the nice key action and wood touch, but yesterday I played on Clavinova CLP 280. I really liked it.I was mentioned a price $4400. What do you guys think? Should I take it or wait til the prices go down a little bit more...

Thanks a lot for your input!

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#658828 - 04/29/07 06:51 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
bachmaniac Offline

Loc: Montreal, CAN
Welcome to the forum!

I prefer the Kawai (CA71 or 91 are models in the CLP280's price range) but what is even more preferable is to make sure you choose the piano that suits you best and that you[/b] like best. No amount of persuasion can replace personal preference as a guarantee of long-term satisfaction, this is just toooo subjective business. The CLP280 is certainly an excellent instrument also, but I don't believe the prices are heading down that much at Yamaha, as the present CLP models are not due for short-term replacement, if I'm not mistaken...

Best,
Claude

#658829 - 04/29/07 07:17 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
Suryaman Offline

Loc: Italy&Orange County, CA
If I had to choose between CLP280 or CA91/71 (same price range) I would go for Kawai if I was looking for the best digital action and I would go for Yamaha if I was looking for the best sound.
But if you like the Kawai sound (I don't) you can't go wrong with Kawai.

#658830 - 04/29/07 10:58 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
bachmaniac Offline

...but if in the end I preferred the 280, I would then buy the 270 and save a grand getting the same piano, LOL!

Claude

#658831 - 04/29/07 11:38 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
franzooey Offline

Aren't the Clavinovas negotiable in terms of price? I think many here have had to bargain a certain price, just as they would with an acoustic piano.

#658832 - 04/29/07 11:39 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
J. Mark Offline
1000 Post Club Member

IIRC, 270 has plastic keys, 280 has wood, right? I think I was told there were other differences, as well. Not the same piano. Different. No?

#658833 - 04/29/07 02:20 PM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
VE1PL Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
The CLP-280 has wooden white keys (the sharps are plastic). However, the geometry of the action is quite different between 270 and 280; the material is not the only difference. I believe that the electronics, firmware and analog electronics are identical. I am very pleased with my 280 for silent practice; I rarely turn on the speakers.

#658834 - 04/30/07 09:07 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
bachmaniac Offline

VE1PL,

With all due respect, I beg to differ, and though I don't want to spoil your love affair with your CLP280, it seriously does NOT have a wooden keyboard, nothing at all like Yamaha used to offer in its CLP990 or what Kawai offers: it merely has cosmetic wooden inserts into the outward, visible part of its white (still plastic) keys. I don't know who (the dealer?) led you to believe that the geometry of the action was "quite" different, in verifiable fact it is negligibly different. Same plastic, folded pretzel action on the 280, whose keyboard Yamaha has the nerve to call a "wooden keyboard". It's all semantics and marketing dynamics, but it sure works!!!

Regards,
Claude

#658835 - 04/30/07 09:38 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
Claude

You have often put forward this view. As a matter of interest, how thick are the wooden inserts? Just a thin veneer - say 1 mm or less - or thicker than that?

May I point out that there may be another reason for people to buy a 280 instead of a 270. At least in some markets, the 270 is not available in gloss black ebony, but the 280 is. I did buy a 280 in preference to the 270 and this aesthetic reason (we wanted gloss black to match other stuff) was a significant factor.

I would equally happily have bought a Roland (but the finish available to me at the time was horrible plastic veneer that was already peeling off in places) or a 270 (that just had awful fake wood finishes or a premium priced real wood veneer).

I did once check key down and return weights between 280 and 279, using a measuring tool for the purpose (accidentally left behind once when my tech was working on my acoustic grand). I did not test all keys, just a few, but the 280 had quite a significantly heavier action (about 5 grammes around centre keyboard extra as I recall). This was not measured using my 280 for comparison, but two shop floor instruments locally.

Obviously I would not draw any major conclusions from this, though subjectively I felt that the slightly heavier 280 felt more like a lightish acoustic action.

I am inclined to agree with you that it is unlikely that the action geometry differs otherwise between the 270 and 280.

Both are pretty acceptable, as is the Kawai MP8.

Kind regards

Adrian

#658836 - 04/30/07 01:37 PM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
bachmaniac Offline

Hey Adrian,

I appreciate your post a lot, and I really am only after true facts, not on a crusade to discredit Yamaha at all. I know I've blown that same trumpet several times, but it seems annoying to me that people will not see the difference between an "aesthetically wooden" and a "real wooden" keyboard and fall for the subterfuge, here.

No, in all honesty it is NOT just a wood veneer. The front part of the white keys on the CLP280/CVP309 is hollowed out and wood-filled, probably the kind of white spruce you normally find in acoustic piano keyboards. That is enough to change both the static and the dynamic weight of the keys a bit, and I presume they have to adjust the black keys somewhat to match, hence the feeling of a slight difference in touch between 270/280. However, those users who insist there is a great difference are, IMHO, but blatant victims of the placebo effect.

The first pianos I tried out extensively when I decided to get one were the CLPs, and I almost bought a 280 at the time, I found the Polished Ebony so striking. Do you realize that Yamaha is offering that PE finish on the 230, 240 and 280, but not on the 270? Why do you think they would do a thing like that? The answer seems so obvious...

Best,
Claude

#658837 - 04/30/07 10:43 PM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
kawai07 Offline

Loc: Detroit
Thank you guys for your input, and suggestions!!!
I really appreciated it.

To Bachmaniac: Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to test CA-71, and CA 91 here in Michigan. I heard they sound pretty good. I initially tried CA 51 and fell in love with the touch and sound. However, a day later, I tried the CLP 280. The sound was marvelous, although the touch not as special as Kawai. I then played a faster song on Kawai, and the sound did not impress me as much as in the beginning, probably because of the 64 polyphony ( I think) vs 128 (CLP 280). I hope I will get to try the other two from Kawai, and then decide.

Thanks again!

#658838 - 05/01/07 12:04 AM Re: Clavinova CLP 280
bachmaniac Offline

the CA51 has 96 polyphony, 71 and 91 got 192 just like the MP8...

Claude

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, Aibohphobia, 36251, acortot, 43 invisible), 1802 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291714 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
Today at 01:39 PM
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
Today at 01:31 PM
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
Today at 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
Today at 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
Today at 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission