2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#659143 10/08/06 12:17 PM
K
kavikat Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm starting a new thread...

A little background... Looking for a digital under $1000 that mimics an acoustic in sound & feel with 3 pedals and looks decent enough to put in my living room. Going to be used for lessons for my 7 yr old and myself. I had decided on a Yammaha YPD 213. But...

When we went to make the purchase, my hubby asked the saleman to show us comparables in the same price range. The salesman showed us the Casio AP45. Didn't look as nice as the Yammy but it sounded better ("richer" is how I'd describe it) when he played them both for us. He played the same song, so... does the Casio really sound better?? How does it compare in 'feel' to the Yammy? It's only $100 more than the YPD 213...
Which would you buy??

#659144 10/08/06 01:35 PM
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
You might want to audition them both again. We sometimes react differently on different days.

It might help to ask the salesman if the Casio samples you're listening to include any reverb. Reverberation can make samples sound richer. In general, I prefer to add it to "dry" samples as needed. Dry samples - which is how I'd characterize those in the Yammy stage pianos I own/have owned - may not make a strong first impression, but to my ears they hold up well over the long term.

The touch is more difficult. Any chance there's a friend or neighbor who plays? Yamaha's graded hammer actions set the digital industry standard and those actions are very durable. In the past, Casio used Fatar actions. Those actions did not have the best reputation for either quality control or durability. I don't know the situation now.

Based on track record, I'd buy the Yamaha.

#659145 10/16/06 09:31 PM
K
kavikat Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Received our new YPD 213 this afternoon (got a great price/package online) and my daughter had her first lesson this evening. She is so into it -- wants all the neighbor kids to come over and hear her play tomorrow...

We couldn't be happier!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission