Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#659273 - 12/27/05 07:40 AM Yamaha CLP220
xire Offline

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, so nice to meet you all. I hope I can learn a lot from all of you.

I'm playing the piano for about 4 months now and I like it a lot. But atm I'm looking for a better Digital Piano. When I just started I bought a cheap digital, just to see if I like to play piano. Well, I do like pianoplaying a lot, so I think it's time for something new, cause the digital I have isn't really good.

I searched a bit on the web and I think the Yamaha CLP 220 is just what I need. The price is about the maximum I can spend and I read good things about the CLP 220. Still, I want to know your opinion and/or experience with the Yamaha CLP 220. Since the store, where they sell the CLP 220, is far away from where I live (I have to travel about 3,5 hours to get there), I'd like to hear some more information about the CLP 220, before I go to the store and test the CLP 220 myself...

Thanks in advance.

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#659274 - 12/27/05 10:29 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Nashua, NH
xire,

The Clavinova line is really strong! But the 220 is their entry-level instrument and most find it a little "weak", both in power and polyphony (32).

Most of my customers stretch up to the CLP 230 instead. It sounds, looks and plays better (GH3 keyboard) and it has 64 note of polyphony.

But if the budget is set, you can't go wrong with Yamaha's Clavinova line, even if it's the CLP220!

Paul

#659275 - 12/27/05 10:37 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
xire Offline

Thanks for your reply Paul Y.

I read on a site that the CLP220 has 64 polyphony too... Or am I wrong with that?

Quote from site:

Stereo sampling AWM (Advanced Wave Memory) tone generation and 88 key GH (Graded Hammer) keyboard 10 realistic instrument Voices
Reverb
Chorus
DDE (Dynamic Damper Effect)
1-track song recorder
64-note polyphony
2 headphone sockets
The CLP220 is supplied with matching stool[/b]

I searched on the internet for the CLP 230, but it's a lot more expensive I see, so I don't think I can afford that. \:\)

#659276 - 12/27/05 10:55 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

xire,

You know, you're right about the 64-note polyphony! That was the CLP115, which was replaced by the 220! Sorry!

It does have the GH keyboard. But the 230 has the GH3 (the latest and best) keyboard. But overall, perhaps it would be fine for your needs.

Good luck.

#659277 - 12/27/05 11:05 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
xire Offline

Thanks for the information Paul.

I'd like to get some information about the sound, if someone can discripe it. \:\)

#659278 - 12/27/05 11:31 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
Paul Y Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Actually, the sound is terrific, as all Yamaha instruments seem to be! The 220 is a great sample! However, when you play it side-by-side with the 230, there is a definite difference! So, when you finally get to play it, just play the 220 and if it meets your needs and budget, you should purchase it.

Good luck.

#659279 - 12/27/05 01:48 PM Re: Yamaha CLP220
John WI Offline

Loc: Madison, Wisconsin USA
By all means check out the Clavinova 220; it's a good model. But, don't stop there; this is a significant purchase you are making. While Yamaha digitals are quite good, so are models made by Roland and Kawai.

I checked out all three brands extensively a couple months ago, and ended up buying a Kawai CN 4 (which I am very happy with, see my recent posts at: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/1559.html#000013).

For the price of a Clavinova 220, I would especially encourage you to check out the Kawai CN 3 (see: http://www.kawaius.com/cn_3.html). I think you will find that you will get a bit more for your money with Kawai; I did. At least when doing your search cast a wide net so that when you purchase something you know that you considered all reasonable options.

#659280 - 12/27/05 04:35 PM Re: Yamaha CLP220
xire Offline

Thanks for your replies.

John, you're right. I should check more different digital pianos from all kinda brands. But the nearest store from where I live almost only sells Yamaha, cause that's what most people want nowadays it seems (atleast that's what the guy from the store told me). But on the other hand; there are a lot of stores, who have an internet site, and where you can order a digital piano online, so I might surf a bit more on the web and find more information about all kinda digital piano's.

The Kawai CN 3 looks very nice, so I might get some more information about the CN 3.

I'm not in a hurry with buying a new digital, but I just can't afford more than about 1100 (wich is about $ 1350 I think).

#659281 - 12/29/05 10:53 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
Schizo Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi, I have played the CLP220 and CLP230 side by side, but I prefered the CLP220, in sound as well as in touch. Overall, Yamaha is just not my brand, so I bought a Roland, but that my taste. I have also tried the Kawai CN2, but it lacks in power (just 16W, speakers). I compared it with the CLP115 (horrible in touch), it played better (for me), but the sound is a bit weak. Besides that, the internal songs are very bad in the CN2. Roland will give you the HP101 within your budget (1080 euros), but then I would go for CLP220.

Good luck.

#659282 - 12/29/05 11:49 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
xire Offline

Thanks Schizo, I think I'm sure about buying the CLP220 now.

First, I was interested in the Roland HP101 too, but I didn't read good things about it on the internet. Next week I'm gonna visit the city and I hope it's worth the trip, cause I'm really interested in buying the CLP220. \:\)

More comments/information are always welcome though!

#659283 - 01/07/06 08:17 PM Re: Yamaha CLP220
xire Offline

Well, I bought a Yamaha CLP 220 today. I'm very happy with it, especially the sound of it. Though, the sustain pedal works a little bit different in some way. I don't really know how to explain, but it's quite sensitive if I compare it with my last digital I had.

Well, this is a new instrument. I have to learn something new and I'm up for the challenge. I hope I can master this instrument soon. \:\)

#659284 - 01/08/06 11:10 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
Schizo Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Hi Xire,

Glad you're happy with your new instrument, otherwise I would almost feel myself guilty \:\) My Roland is the first digital I own and I also had to "learn" to play with the sustain (on/off switch). I still prefer the real sustain of an acoustic, but I'll get used to it! For me it was buying a digital, or go on like I did the last 5 years .. so no piano playing at all! Well, this is absolutely the best option \:\)

Enjoy your instrument!

#659285 - 12/29/06 12:05 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
rob1261 Offline

Loc: philadelphia, pa, usa
After a lot of research and shopping for a good entry level Digital Piano that sounded and felt good, I ended up with the Kawai CN2.

The more I play it the more impressed I am with it. It can be bought for about $1000 US.

The salesperson and I both agreed the Grand Piano sound was better on the CN2 then the CN3.

I would recommend the CN2 over the CLP-220 and it is cheaper.

The CLP-230 is a different story but more expensive.

#659286 - 04/17/07 06:38 PM Re: Yamaha CLP220
madglad 29 Offline

Loc: Florida
I played the piano years ago and am looking for a digital one. I've looked at the Kawai CN2 and CN3 and the Yamaha YDP323. Need some help in this.

#659287 - 04/18/07 10:40 AM Re: Yamaha CLP220
alex41 Offline

Loc: Kingston, ON
 Quote:
Originally posted by Schizo:
Hi, I have played the CLP220 and CLP230 side by side, but I prefered the CLP220, in sound as well as in touch.[/b]
I find this bizzare. After testing out the CLP220 and CLP230 side by side, I found the CLP230 to be in a different league than the CLP220. I was very impressed.

For what it's worth to the OP, I was looking at the CLP220, but found the KORG C320 for the same price...at the moment I've been leaning towards the Korg more. (Although I've been looking around for months now and I've changed my mind so many times!)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
92 registered (adultpianist, Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, Akshay, 14 invisible), 1144 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250092 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission