Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#659350 - 09/17/04 04:56 PM Kawai - What do you think?
Cip Offline

I saw some Kawai digital pianos at the local store and was wondering what people thought about the quality and value of these:

Kawai CN390 $2000
Kawai CA5 $2500
Kawai CP115 $3000

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Click Here

#659351 - 09/18/04 06:53 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

I like the Kawais - I was going to buy a CA5 but ended up with the CA9. Very happy with it. (Had it since June).

#659352 - 09/18/04 10:04 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
Michigan Offline

I was impressed with the Kawai's. When I had my choices narrowed down to two, kawai was one. I just liked the feel and sound of the technics a little better.

#659353 - 09/27/04 11:41 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

Loc: Sweden
Jazpianizt: How is the piano sound of the CA-9? I read somewhere that they have Steinberg's The Grand in their sound banks in this model. (not sure if this is true though)

This model also have string resonance modelling and a damper effect function. Are they convincing compared to an acoustic? Are they using the same technology as The Grand? (I'm myself a The Grand VSTi user)

#659354 - 09/27/04 02:35 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

Yes, the damper effect and string resonance make a big difference, as does the "virtual technician" that lets you modify the sound and touch to your own preference.
I really like the feel of the wood keys and the hammer action in the Kawai, as well.
I don't know anything about Steinberg's The Grand. I think this is Kawai's own sampling of one of their concert grands. I think it's quite good. As far as being convincing compared to an acoustic, I can only compare it to my grand. While I enjoy playing the Kawai, and feel that it is a good practice instrument, I just can't imagine any digital piano really duplicating the sound and feel of an acoustic grand, at least with current technology.

#659355 - 09/27/04 03:29 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

Thank you very much, jazpianizt. I really appreciate this as it is impossible today finding reviews on the net regarding this model. I did however finally find Kawai's German site which has mp3 demos of all the Kawai models.

I can recommend you visit my web page about digital pianos (prepare for a major yearly update within a week. I will, among other things, add some information regarding the CA9).

#659356 - 09/27/04 07:06 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

Thanks, fogwall. I checked out your web page - a lot of good information there. It would be a good reference for anybody looking for a digital piano.
I'll check back later for your update.
You're right it has been hard to find information about the new Kawais. Not sure why that is, other than that they are so new. There seems to be so much interest in the Yamahas, I guess at least partially it's because they have better exposure in the marketplace.

#659357 - 09/27/04 11:45 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

I'm glad you like the page.

I'm very eager testing the CA9 and include the results in the update. Could you please record this short midi test file and email me the result in mp3 format (without reverb but with damper effect and string resonance enabled)? I would appreciate it a lot.

niclas@fogwall.com

#659358 - 09/29/04 08:22 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

Done. (emailed attachment)
Test was recorded with CA9 registrations set to factory default. Recorded to DAT via the CA9 analog outputs, converted to 128 kb MP3 with AudioCatalyst.
Let me know if you get it and it's OK.

#659359 - 09/30/04 06:43 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

Hi. (I sent you a reply on email)

Could you please record it again but with damper effect and string resonance enabled? (set 10/10)

Thanks!

#659360 - 09/30/04 02:51 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

Hi Fogwall,
Sent another attachment.

#659361 - 09/30/04 03:34 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

PS Fogwall,
The second file was recorded with Damper Effect and String Resonance both at maximum (10/10).
If you don't hear what you expect - the effects are very obvious (and quite realistic) when it is played live. Not sure how they work when playing back a midi file. I've only used it for playing live, and haven't messed around with midi playback.
EDIT
I just tried an experiment, using the internal recorder on the CA9.
With the recorder running - lightly play a low C, and hold the key down. (No pedal) Play middle C, release the middle C, continuing to hold down low C.
Live, you hear the Low C continue to resonate after the middle C is released, as you would on a grand piano. Playing back the midi file, it's not there.

#659362 - 09/30/04 10:21 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

OK! (I sent another email commenting this, before I read your comments here)

Yes, why are these effects only audible through the speakers and not through the output? Perhaps it is a setting you need to do?

An idea: You could connect from the headphone jack to the computer (or whatever), perhaps then it will be audible?

#659363 - 10/01/04 06:17 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

The effects are audible through the speakers and headphone, as well as the audio output when the piano is played live. (The last file I sent you was recorded from the headphone output). The effect I described above (string resonance) appears only to work when you physically play the piano, not when the piano is played by a midi file.
EDIT
I have heard the samples on the Kawai website. In fact it was after hearing them that I decided to upgrade to the CA9. That's what they sound like played live. Don't know what happens with the midi file - might be worth a question to Kawai?

#659364 - 10/01/04 08:02 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

Yes, that really sounds strange. I sent a mail to Kawai in Germany, describing this (and a link to this thread as well).

#659365 - 10/01/04 08:09 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

I'll be curious to hear what they say. I'm no midi expert but perhaps it's a problem with the midi standard, since the damper effect and string resonance are Kawai technologies. Maybe those effects simply are not translated to the midi file.

#659366 - 10/01/04 08:51 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

No, it has nothing to do with midi.

What seems weird to me (and a contradiction really) is that the effects are audible when using headphones but not when connecting from the headphones jack to the sound card. That should be impossible...

#659367 - 10/01/04 09:04 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

No, you misunderstand me. There is no difference in what you hear through the speakers, headphones, or audio output (with the exception of various settings which control the different speakers).
The difference is what you hear playing live versus what you hear playing a midi file.

#659368 - 10/01/04 03:49 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

Ok... Now I see. \:\)

It would be great if you could take up this issue with the dealer you bought it from. I'm not sure that Kawai in Germany will reply to me.

#659369 - 10/01/04 04:25 PM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

Hi Fogwall,
Truth is, the dealer I bought it from would know nothing about this. Trust me on that.
I only use it for playing, not for playing back midi files, so it is not an issue with me. I don't really think it's even an issue - it's just the way the thing works. Of course, like I said, I'm no midi expert. If you hear from Kawai, please pass along the info.

#659370 - 10/05/04 05:17 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
fogwall Offline

OK, I received a reply from Kawai in Germany. Apparently the damper effect and string resonance are disabled when triggered midi in.

They are thinking of updating the software to make it happen but no decision taken yet.

#659371 - 10/05/04 05:55 AM Re: Kawai - What do you think?
jazpianizt Offline

Thanks for the update.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha UX vs WX
by goldmund
10/25/14 11:34 AM
Need help with chords
by Shirz
10/25/14 07:52 AM
Which are the best forums for piano technicians and DIYers?
by Withindale
10/25/14 03:17 AM
Prelude
by noobpianist90
10/25/14 01:55 AM
Red Striped Screws and Fancy Nuts
by chernobieff
10/24/14 11:57 PM
Who's Online
119 registered (accordeur, 0987654321, anotherscott, A Guy, Anne'sson, 29 invisible), 1597 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76653 Members
42 Forums
158488 Topics
2327552 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission