Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
112 registered (Alexander Borro, accordeur, ando, Al LaPorte, 34 invisible), 1764 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#660110 - 01/26/03 09:18 PM stage piano or electric keyboard?
Nic_dup1 Offline

I currently play keyboard in a rock(ish)cover band, but my electric keyboard does not cut it. Its an old technics keyboard that is not touch sensitive and does not have a weighted keyboard.

Im trying to work out wether I should buy a stage piano with a weighted action or a touch sensitive electric keyboard.

A lot of my playing involves piano, strings, and organ sounds (we tend to play a mix of old music by david bowe, Bob marley, led Zep,cat stevens and the beetles including a few modern songs) but occasionaly I need a few more interesting sounds like trumpets or brass, singing chorus and more synthetic sounds.

Idealy I would like to get a stage piano with a half decent weighted action (I learnt as a pianist) with the range of tones found on an electric keyboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions for what I should look for?

I would not mind playing an unweighted keyboard, but I like the basic utility of a stage piano as opposed to the funky coloured toy nature of many cheaper yamahas with digital displays (that show things like what note you are pushing and how hard you are hitting a key which seems useless to me, even the expensive ones seem to look gimiky) another consideration is do weighted key digital pianos have better piano sounds than an unweighted one?

Bit of a ramble -
basicly I need a good range of sounds that sound primo blasting through a 100+w speakers, and good control over the dynamics.
The ability to expand the repetoir of sounds would be a great bonus. (If it included a sampler I would be a very happy lady but I do not think I have that kind of money)

Any input would be appreciated.

Nikki

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#660111 - 01/26/03 10:22 PM Re: stage piano or electric keyboard?
Steve M Offline

Loc: North Hatley
I don't own one yet, but I think I soon will......Roland RD700......try one out. It's not that heavy - 50lbs or so - has nice action, good sounds and is expandable.

#660112 - 01/27/03 01:45 PM Re: stage piano or electric keyboard?
Nic_dup1 Offline

Thanks dude

#660113 - 01/28/03 01:37 PM Re: stage piano or electric keyboard?
BC Offline

Loc: illinois
i like a Kawai ESX or either the MP9500 for a more serious board. The roland XP88 is good also.

BC

#660114 - 01/28/03 02:57 PM Re: stage piano or electric keyboard?
OlderGuy Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY
I have a Kawai ESX. I am happy with it. -Peter

#660115 - 01/28/03 03:28 PM Re: stage piano or electric keyboard?
SteveY Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
 Quote:
i like a Kawai ESX or either the MP9500 for a more serious board. The roland XP88 is good also.
I assume that you mean the Roland "XV88"??? Great keyboard, but apples-and-oranges when compared to the Kawai.

#660116 - 02/24/03 04:24 PM Re: stage piano or electric keyboard?
jimmyD Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
 Quote:
Originally posted by SteveY:
 Quote:
I assume that you mean the Roland "XV88"??? Great keyboard, but apples-and-oranges when compared to the Kawai.[/b]
One thing to keep in mind -- the Kawai MP9500 is heavy. About 75 pounds. I don't know about the others mentioned.

#660117 - 05/12/03 06:10 PM Re: stage piano or electric keyboard?
Daren Offline

Loc: Staffordshire,England
 Quote:
Originally posted by Nic:
I currently play keyboard in a rock(ish)cover band, but my electric keyboard does not cut it. Its an old technics keyboard that is not touch sensitive and does not have a weighted keyboard.

Im trying to work out wether I should buy a stage piano with a weighted action or a touch sensitive electric keyboard.

A lot of my playing involves piano, strings, and organ sounds (we tend to play a mix of old music by david bowe, Bob marley, led Zep,cat stevens and the beetles including a few modern songs) but occasionaly I need a few more interesting sounds like trumpets or brass, singing chorus and more synthetic sounds.

Idealy I would like to get a stage piano with a half decent weighted action (I learnt as a pianist) with the range of tones found on an electric keyboard. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions for what I should look for?

I would not mind playing an unweighted keyboard, but I like the basic utility of a stage piano as opposed to the funky coloured toy nature of many cheaper yamahas with digital displays (that show things like what note you are pushing and how hard you are hitting a key which seems useless to me, even the expensive ones seem to look gimiky) another consideration is do weighted key digital pianos have better piano sounds than an unweighted one?

Bit of a ramble -
basicly I need a good range of sounds that sound primo blasting through a 100+w speakers, and good control over the dynamics.
The ability to expand the repetoir of sounds would be a great bonus. (If it included a sampler I would be a very happy lady but I do not think I have that kind of money)

Any input would be appreciated.

Nikki[/b]
Get a Yamaha S90 if you can afford it.It will give you a hammer action and weighted keys which i think anybody who wants the piano as the main instrument should have.You will get the best piano sounds organ sounds and brass sounds and whatever sound you would want,plus expandability and a good controller

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets: Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"To the memory of an angel" - can we believe composers??
by bennevis
11/22/14 10:31 AM
Trade Regrets - Barry "Bear" Arnaut
by Piano World
11/22/14 10:29 AM
What should dealer prep include
by pinkfloydhomer
11/22/14 06:58 AM
Concert prep
by SMHaley
11/22/14 12:19 AM
Gillette Piano Academy
by Jonathan Baker
11/21/14 11:15 PM
Forum Stats
77000 Members
42 Forums
159260 Topics
2339559 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission