2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally posted by Zymtil:
Originally posted by conan:
[b] Just bought a PX 100 and I like it - it has 88 notes, hammer action and lots of features, for a good price - to get a similar one from a compatitor brand, it usually costs double the price or even more.

Conan
Glad you like it! Just out of curiosity, what other brands/models did you try out, and how did they compare? [/b]
I tried Korg SP-500, it was good but I think the one I got had a problem, some of the keys start to click. I didn't like Yamaha (not very cheap and not many features, besides their sales people are too pushy) - Kawai had nice sound, but again not cheap and their sales people are too pushy). Korg seems to be good, but it looks like they just started this line of digital with hammer action, I'd give a year or 2 to produce better producs. I also tried Roland, they sound good too

D
D
Hi, I'm new here.

I did a search on a digi piano that I'm considering purchasing and found this topic.

The Casio PX 100

I would like to know from those who have bought or play this instrument how do you like it, especially now that you have had it for a while.

Are they in limitations with the polyphony.

D
dbm Offline
D
Good hammer actioned keyboard for the price, with light weight and slim.

I did an experiment on mine about polyphony: pressing the sustain pedal and hit a bass note hard. Then play steps from middle C and up. Sounded to me that the bass note got cut out when I hit the 28th note. That's Grand Piano 1. Can we call it 28 note polyphony? There could be various schemes to handle polyphony such as making bass notes last longer than others in the design that this kind of experiment may not count much. Other voices do not sound stereo but appear to have more polyphony by my experiment.

For my kind of music ( mainly classical and intermediate level ), I haven't found polyphony being an issue. My 11 year old is more advanced. He played Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu on it and said that it sounded very good. I took out some unabridged classical literature and counted notes under the sustain sign --- most should be ok. Obviously the more polyphony the better --- sometimes one may wish to have more creative pedaling as well.

I played quite a few of PX-100's and was surprised to find that there were big differences in firmness in action. Using Yamaha P90 as reference, some feel significantly lighter than the Yamaha and some more firm than the Yamaha. The actions are good in either case but I am suspecting that they may have made the actions firmer recently, as a new PX-400R that I tried had the same firmer action.

The headphone output has much better voice quality --- as expected since the small speakers surely form the bottleneck of the sound reproduction. Also, the noise level of the headphone out is sufficiently low that it's quite suitable for amplification.

K
K
What about Casio AP 38? 64 voices, real piano look and feel, sound decent because of acoustic, and kids think it looks closer to acoustic piano too. It has 3 pedals so good for pedal exercises too. It may be around 699. PX 400 is my next choice though.

I have Casio PX-400R, bought it as soon as it's available in Malaysia. Though cheaper in its range, I was overwhelmed by the following :

1. Good graded hammer action - it does resemble the acoustic piano in some way.

2. Excellent piano tone especially the Stereo Piano sample.

3. Excellent MIDI capabilities with Smartmedia crd and direct connection to my Dell's notebook via USB.

4. Improved sound compare to the PX-100 & PX-300, deeper bass, louder ...

I have tried Yamaha CLP 115 / 120/ 150 and 170 as well as P60, P90 and P120. For mere Pop pianist, I don't see the point of spending more on those. Though, there are the prefered brand.

Try this one out, you'll be surprise. Casio is out to compete now, finally.

Meg
D
dbm Offline
D
Congratulations Meg on your purchase of PX-400R --- it surely is an impressive instrument for what I saw.

I've PM'ed you for some further impressions. Let me know when you have time.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Guys

I have been the owner of a "casio px100" for about 8 months now. The love affair has slightly mellowed over the 8 months but, only because I bought a Yamaha CLP 170.

I shall explain...I am in the fortunate position of owning my own business (a gym) and I have the opportunity to practise at work (when it is quiet during the day) and the casio met my needs...hammer action, 88 weighted keys and portable... I tried it in the shop and I was very impressed.

I have really gotten into this piano thang so much now that I wanted a digital piano for home aswell and I fell even more in love with the Yamaha CLP170 that I tried(I think it is an awesome piano despite any criticisms I hear on here?)

Since buying the Yammie the casio cannot compete...but, I still love it...it is great as a second portable piano...but I do kinda wish I had bought the next model up with the audio outs...because one day I want to play gigs...and maybe I should have bought the Yamaha stage piano instead?

The Yamaha has a much heavier action than the casio which I now much prefer ...amazing that what once felt heavy doesn't anymore smile

With regards to the polyphony I really haven't had much problem with it and I do play some long sustained runs...the only time it looses it is when played with two voices on long sustained runs.

In 8 months it has never missed a beat and I play it every day.

I'm Still very happy with it

Just one question if I wanted to turn it into a stage piano rather than buying another keyboard would it be worth considering a midi module and how do they work?

regards

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission